MBAficionado
    May 2007

Cables routing for the Rush...

i've already re-routed my rear hydro cable via the top tube instead of going via the down, now looking to re-route the cable for rear d.

The need is there as i've been experiencing ghost shifts with the current manner in which the rear d cable passed thru the elevated chainstay. Also, with all that cruz built up on the downtube, the less cable there is the better! Thus, looking to install aftermarket cable guides to re-route the cable for rear d. The only cable i can't route away from the downtube is the one for front d!

Anyone with experience to share? Is this advisable?
    Last edited by Firetrail; 06-06-2007 at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The further the cables are away from the pivot the greater chance you have of getting ghost shifting. That is why the rear der cable is through the CS so it is as close as possible. Your ghost shifting may be due to another source of cable drag or component wear.

If you are worried about getting junk in the cables full housing through the existing locations will likely be lighter than all the excess housing to go from the TT back down to the swingarm.

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree, just use full length housings, I did on my Prophet and haven't had to even adjust my rear derailleur since summer 2005 when I got the full housing. The through-swingarm routing is not causing the ghost shifting, it's even better that way IMO. Crap inside the housing is usually the first thing that cause ghost shifting... That and a loose rear hub.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Thanks for sharing the info, James & Dan G.

i've not considered the full housing option yet. As for hubs, cogset, shifters, rear d & chain, they are of 1 month young. Other possibilities?

LA CHÈVRE
    Maybe just a misadjusted derailleur? The whole bike is one month old? Depending of the milage you do, new bikes can need adjustments after a while if the cables weren't pre-stretched. But if you ride in nasty conditions, it doesn't take much time to render a cable without a full housing sticky and shifting badly as dirt, mud and water can quickly crawl into the housings. I would check the adjustment first though, that doesn't cost a thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cable stretch or a bent hanger

LA CHÈVRE
    Bent hanger too yes, you can have it's alignement checked.