CAK
    Reign Rider

CAAD 4 and Rear Tire Alignment.

Anyone ever notice how the rear tire isn't centered between the seat and chain stays on the CAAD 4 frames? Seems like the tire tilts towards the non-drive side. Is this an issue with just the CAAD 4? I've seen three different frames and they all do it. Is there a simple solution to getting the tre centered in the stays?

Thanks

ceteris paribus
    I haven't noticed that in mine. I'll check it out when I get it back from the LBS

mtbr member
    Mine did that because the threads on those cheap threaded axles eat into the aluminum if you don't tighten the QR really tight. I'm getting new hubs with non-threaded smooth axles before it gets any worse.
    My CAAD2 F600 did it too. I repaired it by drilling a small pilot hole up into the dropout and screwing a small steel screw into it with red loctight. Then grinding the screw head down with that brown, cone shaped grinding stone that comes with every new Dremel. That stone just happened to be the exact diameter of an axle. I filled in around what was left of the screw head with 2-part epoxy putty. The repair has held up great.

LA CHÈVRE
    Mine too, not by much and I can't feel it when I ride but it has always bothered me. I'm not sure if it's not the wheel's dish that is off tough. CAAD4 frame here too.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Are you talking to me?

Wheel dish?

Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    Anyone ever notice how the rear tire isn't centered between the seat and chain stays on the CAAD 4 frames? Seems like the tire tilts towards the non-drive side. Is this an issue with just the CAAD 4? I've seen three different frames and they all do it. Is there a simple solution to getting the tre centered in the stays?

Thanks
    Have the dish on your rear wheel checked.
    gfy

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Have the dish on your rear wheel checked.
    I suspect it might be the problem too. In my case, since I don't use this bike much now (I have a new one ), I'm not in such a rush but I will have it checked along with the Headshok that had a massive grease/oil leak last weekend. That thing sprayed yellow goo a few feet away while getting some air out the valve...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-29-2004 at 05:43 AM. Reason: I love to edit!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

CAK
    Reign Rider
    The dish is good on the wheel, it seems to me like there is excessive play in the dropout's. Really loose fitting dropouts. The chain tention on the drive side wants to pull that side over making the wheel offset. The only fix I can see is closing up the dropouts somehow.

Are you talking to me?

Is your hub width right?

Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    The dish is good on the wheel, it seems to me like there is excessive play in the dropout's. Really loose fitting dropouts. The chain tention on the drive side wants to pull that side over making the wheel offset. The only fix I can see is closing up the dropouts somehow.
    What you are describing is not normal, IMO. Get this checked out at the LBS.
    gfy

CAK
    Reign Rider
    It's a factory Shimano 525 disc hub with a 10mm axle, all standard stuff. I'll have my LBS look at it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mine too

I've also got the same problem on my 2003 F600 although it's not really noticeable when I ride. I also think it may be due to the QR threads. The insides of the dropouts are really chewed up in places due to the threads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mine too...

I bought my CAAD4 F1000 used, and was initially disappointed that the rear wheel wouldn't center (hands free riding required a little twisting and leaning). I looked at the dropouts, but couldn't see a problem there.

I took it to an LBS (a Cannondale dealer), who simply re-dished the rear wheel slightly. It tracks straight as an arrow now, and has for the last 3 years!

Of course, that wheel can't be swapped with my other bikes anymore, but it's easy to just swap tires instead.

I don't know the real explanation, but the dish was the cure. My friends' Caad 3s and 4s are all fine, so I thought mine was an isolated case.

Good luck!

Harmonius Wrench

Warranty Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by dogwood
    Mine did that because the threads on those cheap threaded axles eat into the aluminum if you don't tighten the QR really tight. I'm getting new hubs with non-threaded smooth axles before it gets any worse.
    My CAAD2 F600 did it too. I repaired it by drilling a small pilot hole up into the dropout and screwing a small steel screw into it with red loctight. Then grinding the screw head down with that brown, cone shaped grinding stone that comes with every new Dremel. That stone just happened to be the exact diameter of an axle. I filled in around what was left of the screw head with 2-part epoxy putty. The repair has held up great.
    I work at a shop that is a Cannondale dealer. We have seen three instances of this problem this season already. Our Cannondale rep took a look and got all three replacement frames. Essentially, the dropout on the driveside gets "hogged out" as described in the quote above. When that happens, the tourque from peddalling will pull the wheel towards the non-driveside chainstay.
    This has happened to road frames as well, so do check it out with your local C'dale dealer. They should have no problem getting you a new frame, if what I've described is going on with your rig. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2004

I'm off to my LBS

I better make trip to the shop and see what they say about this.