Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. C Dale Support Gone?

To all:

So who will still Buy, Ride, Support C Dale now that they Bailed?

?

Needs more cowbell
    They certainly didn't "bail" by choice. after going bankrupt they were bought by a investment firm who then sold them to dorel.

should they improve and continue to be a shop brand i will support them.

mtbr member
    So what's happening with Cannondale? Are they still going to be made in the USA?

LA CHÈVRE
    Nothing will change for now... Nobody lose their job in all Cannondale offices and plants. In fact, it may get even better. If you ask me, Dorel is a better parent company than Pegasus. Dorel are more into cycling, Pegasus was only in it for the money.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Right Dan. Pegasus did their job. They rescued Cannondale from the abyss and have now been compensated for the risk they took when nobody else would. Cannondale is now in better hands for the long haul. The marketplace works. God Bless America.

mtbr member
    Ah, that's sweet, then!

mad aussie
    Even under Pegasus there were some improvements. For example their pricing is more competitive, even with the USA made models. One of the reasons I never touched the Cannondale of old is that their prices were very high for a mass manufactured bike.
    I hope that the new owners will take a hands off approach and allow Cdale to continue a business model emphasising US manufacturing, at least on the middle to high end. The company does seem to be committed to running as an IBD division seperate from the mass market division as they see what happened to GT, hopefully they earned their lesson. I know GT now is IBD only, but it is going to take a while to recover its reputation.

My question to the OP is are you going to quit buying any bike with Fox suspension components given that Bob Fox "bailed' and sold out to an investment group? And Fox was profitable, not a bankrupt company up for sale.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    If you ask me, Dorel is a better parent company than Pegasus. Dorel are more into cycling, Pegasus was only in it for the money.
    I hope you're right, Dan. But other things to consider:

Pegasus is also interested in making money--they aren't a non-profit. They've got stockholders who expect a return on their investment.

I don't know that Dorel is so much into cycling (despite what their press release says) as they are into recreational/leisure consumer goods.

It's a little odd that the new IBD division is called the "Cannondale Sports Group". Seems like they're keeping it broad in definition to allow future expansion into other types of products, which could mean a loss of focus on bicycles. (Purely speculation on my part).

IBD is a new market for them. Dorel is used to mass market production and distribution. This reminds me a little bit of when Ford bought Jaguar. Building and selling a Ford is completely different from building and selling a Jaguar. Is building and selling a Schwinn completely different from building and selling a Cannondale? Ford lost a lot of money on Jaguar before selling them.

And finally, 80% of all mergers and acquisitions fail. Most often due to a clash of cultures between the two organizations. Can Cannondale's management style and work environment coexist with Dorel's?

Holy crap am I long-winded.

Again though, I hope you're right and I'm completely wrong. I really like Cannondale, and I hope they can remain independent enough so that they can continue to produce great bikes.

banned
    I think the Montgomerys bailed on Cannondale because they lost their vision and continued putting all their resources into the motorcycle project that ended the company. They should be disappointed in themselves for losing a cash-cow for themselves and putting the company into the hands of the corporations, but no one vilifies them for doing the wrong thing.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

To all:

So there was a comment made about GT regaining it's rep after the take over.

Do you feel you people will support C dale or will it follow the path of GT and become a lesser bike brand more open to Walmart, Dick's and other low price/high volume box stores?

You know they streamlined GT! Do you think we will see model options disappear and only the most popular will remain as they did with GT did at first?

There has always been an air of riding/owning a Cdale was special made in America thing!

Funny as it would seem to me is if Harley went south to have their bikes made even though most people who ride Harley's have no idea the forks and other components are made in Japan and elsewhere they still ride around touting made in America!

Like the guy with a big number 3 on the back window of his Toyota truck... LOL! Laughable...

LA CHÈVRE
    GT and Cannondale are very different stories. Cannondale was always a profitable bike company (the motorcycle caused bankruptcy, even then, Cannondale's bike division was one of the most profitable bike company in the US)... GT went bankrupt because their bikes sucked, R&D was minimal, they didn't sell and so on. Pacific bought GT and wanted to make some money out of it. The easiest way to do so was to make asian made cheap bikes so that's what they did. Cannondale is doing great now so they don't need to put a big corporate stick in their spokes. Dorel bought Pacific and saw the cannibalizing of GT as a mistake and are trying to bring the company back closer to it's former self. Look at GT since Dorel bought Pacific: more R&D, more high end bikes, they have let the designers and engineers do what they have to do without putting the pressure to make every prototypes become a model to sell (the internal geared DH bike is a good exemple, it's been under development for years now but didn't rush it into the market)... GT also sponsor top athletes... Mongoose also has a similar path since 2004.

Dorel are helping their companies a lot. They will keep some as entry level mass-market brands but that's good. Cannondale will be the absolute top-end company of the Dorel group and they know what they bought: a great team of designers, engineers and innovators, great production facilities, a network of LBS throughout the world... They haven't bought all that to beat it down the ground. Also think about the effect of having a few brands under the same family. When negotiating for components to be used on all their bikes, they will go from ordering, let's say 10,000 cranksets from Shimano to ordering 30,000, they will get better prices per units, that will either cut the prices of bikes or make more profit... They already stated there are no plans to stop producing bikes and parts in Bedford, Pegasus on the other hand, not only did they never said they wouldn't but they were the ones shifting some manufacturing to asia.

I will keep supporting Cannondale for as long as they keep making bikes I like, with high quality, great performance, top warranty policies and all that. If they prove me wrong and turn Cannondale into a company like Specialized, I'll look elsewhere but crying that it's the end now, that our current bikes are now worthless and that they will only sell Cannondales as asian made Wal-Mart bikes is just silly. It's like throwing your wife out on the street now because you think that it could be a possibility that she, someday, might cheat on you when she's a perfect, loving significant other in the present... People are afraid of changes but I say keep the whining and crying for when/if they do mess up Cannondale. For now, they have great bikes, with new very good ones just around the corner, they still employ great people in Bedford and Bethel, stand by the products we like so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    To all:

Do you feel you people will support C dale or will it follow the path of GT and become a lesser bike brand more open to Walmart, Dick's and other low price/high volume box stores?

Like the guy with a big number 3 on the back window of his Toyota truck... LOL! Laughable...
    Toyota trucks are made in the US ....nothing laughable about that.

I don't think anybody should worry about Cannondales at Walmart, since the Cannondale name means absolutely nothing to the average Walmart customer. That said however, I definitely can see in the future some junky version of a lefty on a Pacific at Walmart.

There is no indication that Cannondale will become a lesser brand, just a plain old normal brand like Specialized or Trek. Cannondales will still be nice high quality bikes, but will be produced in the same Asian factories that make bikes for everyone else. That is certainly a loss, but I guess that is the global market today. Time to start saving for a handbuilt custom built-in-the-US frame!

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV
    Time to start saving for a handbuilt custom built-in-the-US frame!
    So...Like a Cannondale? There is NO WAY they will move production of high end overseas. The quality of craftsmanship just isn't there.

banned
    Cannondale has already moved overseas for certain low, mid, and high end models.

mtbr member
    That expensive, high end carbon rush is made in Asia. Does that mean it's a crappy bike/frameset? A lot of plants in Taiwan are technically advanved compared to US companies. Pride of ownership goes a long way and I would rather have a bike built here, but what if the Asian frames are just as good. You can only wave the flag for so long before you have to actually look at the final product. If it turns out that the Asian bikes are crap, then buy something else. If they are as good, then move on, get over the bikes origin and enjoy the ride. I, personally, would never buy an American made car anymore but we arguably make the best high end stereo components (Mark Levinson comes to mind, $30,000 for a monoblock amp, and I'm sure most of the components are sourced elsewhere). Wait to see what happens.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baalan
    That expensive, high end carbon rush is made in Asia. Does that mean it's a crappy bike/frameset? A lot of plants in Taiwan are technically advanved compared to US companies. Pride of ownership goes a long way and I would rather have a bike built here, but what if the Asian frames are just as good. You can only wave the flag for so long before you have to actually look at the final product. If it turns out that the Asian bikes are crap, then buy something else. If they are as good, then move on, get over the bikes origin and enjoy the ride. I, personally, would never buy an American made car anymore but we arguably make the best high end stereo components (Mark Levinson comes to mind, $30,000 for a monoblock amp, and I'm sure most of the components are sourced elsewhere). Wait to see what happens.
    Below is a link to something I posted in the Chumba forum, with a reply from Chumba about it as well.

XCL/Evo

Part of the problem people have with Taiwanese frames is with the companies that simply sent their stuff out there and didn't give a rat's ass about how they were made, so long as they simply had "units" to ship out to satisfy the spreadsheet in the computer. In this sense, the bikes did lose their "soul", for lack of a better way of saying it. It wasn't even smaller companies that produced lower end or mid level bikes that have been there for many years. It was by such high-profile companies like ABG/Litespeed and they're now bearing the failure of that project because it appears just about all of those frames failed due to the beancounters here and over there controlling the assembly (ie: not heat treating the frames) and the design. There are some other companies that tried and are coming back, in part at least. Poor production can be anywhere and it's also based on the structuring of the company and the economics. Some American made frames are among the best in the world, while some are not as good as a Taiwanese or Chinese frame. There are way too many factors. It's heavily based on the office designing and receiving their frames. They have to be willing to invest the money to examine samples, make sure the factory managers are not cutting corners (ie headtubes shorter than spec, shorter or no heat treat, lower current setting on the welders, regular jig resetting), and be willing to reject and/or correct a batch of frames that comes in. Sometimes a batch of several hundred frames could hit the design offices, all built wrong. In that case, what does the company do? It's tough.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV
    Toyota trucks are made in the US ....nothing laughable about that.

I don't think anybody should worry about Cannondales at Walmart, since the Cannondale name means absolutely nothing to the average Walmart customer. That said however, I definitely can see in the future some junky version of a lefty on a Pacific at Walmart.

There is no indication that Cannondale will become a lesser brand, just a plain old normal brand like Specialized or Trek. Cannondales will still be nice high quality bikes, but will be produced in the same Asian factories that make bikes for everyone else. That is certainly a loss, but I guess that is the global market today. Time to start saving for a hand built custom built-in-the-US frame!
    Here's how it reads Cannondale now in the same basket as GT, Mongoose, and Schwinn. Trek & Specialized aren't! It's like putting Ferrari in with Ford, Chevy, and Dodge!

Ya it is laughable cause the guy riding around with the big 3 in the window supports Dale E. but not the car company who pays Dale E. GM hires Dale E. to promote GM not Toyota! It puts no money in GMs pockets to go buy a Toyota truck instead of a GM!

Just as it is for the guy who buys a Harley and spouts "Made in America" when the forks are Showa, the tires are Dunlop and the ignition is all Japanese made!

Think about it! Where was the computer you and I using made?

Maybe we will see guys riding around with big #3s on Cannondales -- LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Below is a link to something I posted in the Chumba forum, with a reply from Chumba about it as well.

XCL/Evo
    Cannondale's USA made stuff broke! So what's the point?

banned
    What are you talking about? I just simply posted this topic in their forum during the course of a discussion.

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't compare Cannondale, Trek or Specialized to Ferrari... Ferrari would be more like a small company that hand-build a few bikes per year with long waiting lists. But looking at the car industry, look at the VW group, they own or are in the same bed as Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Skoda, Seat and perhaps others. Does it mean a Porsche has the same quality as a Skoda? No, even if they share knowledge and parts, they are different brands for different markets with different quality standards... The same can apply to the bike industry.

mtbr member
    I think some of C'dales lower end stuff is already made in either China or Tiawan. The F4 and 5's(Caffine) I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

siv
    mtbr member
    All this debate over where stuff is made has me leaning toward an Ibex. Apparently its good quality and I can actually afford it. Dont care where its made.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

XCL/Evo
    Talking about taiwanese made bikes and weather it will help or hurt Cannondale!

banned
    And this is a discussion about that, with a pertinent post I made elsehwere on the topic. It addresses that pretty well.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

And this is a discussion about that, with a pertinent post I made elsehwere on the topic. It addresses that pretty well.
    Yes

This post that I started is about how "people" will support Cannondale now that they have been acquired by another company and no longer control their own destiny!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast