Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,860

    buying a prophet, maybe?

    So I've been put off by the lefty ever since I first saw it, but I know it has a lot of fans. The salesman says cannondale swears by the lefty because they know it is the best. So I ask why they would switch the new 08s to fox. He says because of guys like you who won't buy a lefty...

    So I am still interested in a prophet, but wondering... should I search out an 07 leftover, or go for the new 08... he didn't have anything there in a medium for me to ride, so I am still just looking for info...

    Please, someone be honest with me and tell me, what is the worst thing about the lefty? I currently have a hardtail with Float 120 and I have no complaints. Is the lefty really superior to Floats, Talas, Revelation, Pike? Or do you guys really like that it is also unique? Is there a particular lefty model that is more desireable?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    779
    After riding my 2005 prophet with a Lefty Max SPV 140 for about a year now, if for some reason I had to replace the bike, I'd search high and low for a left over 07 with the same fork. Don't think I could ever go back to a regular fork. I almost didn't buy it because of it's "uniqueness" - I was a little intimidated by. I can't think of any negatives really, except the bearings have to be reset periodically. However, on the plus side it's any EASY diy job - takes 5 minutes, and it give you a good introduction to fork maintenance and makes you get a little familiar with it's guts. I don't fear doing an oil change and will probably do it myself when the time comes.

    Oh, one negative is that even many Cannondale dealers send them out for service, so turn around time is going to be longer accordingly. Of course I just found out my LBS sends all shocks out so that's not really a "lefty specific" problem.
    However, between the owners manual and the help you get here, a lot of the routine maint is found to be easy enough to do yourself, so you can end up saving money and down time by taking matters into your own hands.

    Hey, look at that, I turned the only two negatives I can think of into positives. I'm talented like that .
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    779
    "So I ask why they would switch the new 08s to fox. He says because of guys like you who won't buy a lefty..."

    By the way, the REAL reason is that the company that made the internals got bought out, and decided not to make them anymore. It wasn't that people didn't want them, it was that Cannondale was just suddenly left with no source for them!
    From what I've read here, Fox will be doing that for Cannondale now, so expect some new Lefty's with Fox internals to start showing up.

    There a thread on here somewhere with a lot more info on that whole thingy.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    492
    I've been riding Lefty's since they first came out. I've had DLR's, a DLR-2 and currently a MAX. No problems to note, minimal maintenance, and they simply DON'T just break in half. I get so tired of people bashing the Lefty when most of them have NEVER had one. The complainers are probably the same people who insist Ford is better than Chevy or that Internet Explorer sucks and Firefox is the only real browser. Lefty's are great, Fox forks are great, Manitou's are great.. it's a personal preference. Keep up your research, carefully factor in what people tell you and make your own informed decision. Be very skeptical of people who will just go on and on about how Lefty's suck. I also enjoy the uniqueness of the Lefty in addition to the actual performance. So far, the MAX 140 is my favorite. It's super-easy to perform routine maintenance, change springs and clean. Most everything (except for a complete disassembly) can be done without special tools.

  5. #5
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    So far, the MAX 140 is my favorite. It's super-easy to perform routine maintenance, change springs and clean. Most everything (except for a complete disassembly) can be done without special tools.
    Ever measure it to see if it gets a true 140mm? I think I read in a magazine (not that that means much) that the lefty didn't seem to get full travel.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Ever measure it to see if it gets a true 140mm? I think I read in a magazine (not that that means much) that the lefty didn't seem to get full travel.
    I've actually taken a measuring tape and the fork matched what the Cannondale manual says it should be. If the travel is less than that all it takes is literally 5 minutes (and no special tools) to do a bearing reset.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    So I've been put off by the lefty ever since I first saw it, but I know it has a lot of fans. The salesman says cannondale swears by the lefty because they know it is the best. So I ask why they would switch the new 08s to fox. He says because of guys like you who won't buy a lefty...

    So I am still interested in a prophet, but wondering... should I search out an 07 leftover, or go for the new 08... he didn't have anything there in a medium for me to ride, so I am still just looking for info...

    Please, someone be honest with me and tell me, what is the worst thing about the lefty? I currently have a hardtail with Float 120 and I have no complaints. Is the lefty really superior to Floats, Talas, Revelation, Pike? Or do you guys really like that it is also unique? Is there a particular lefty model that is more desireable?
    From what "Dan G" says the Prophets dont have leftys on the 08 because Answer/manitou got bought by hayes and they don't want to continue with the subcontract deal.

    So, I would hunt an 07 down. It is rather strange looking, and you will get those stupid "Hey, where's the other half of you fork?" questions. But, it's well worth it. It steers right where you want it to go.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    266
    I've had a lefty max (carbon) for 2 years on my 2005 Prophet 2000 and love it. I ride ROCKS in Venezuela and it is stout. The only thing I hate is cleaning the air filter. This seemingly simple task takes me a good 15 minutes and is a real pain - to get the thing out and back in, from under the tight fitting rubber cover. I've partially ripped it now. Bearing resets are, like everyone says, laughingly simple and at most 5 minutes once a month. But the air cleaner is the b*tch. Is it enough for me to consider a different front end? NO WAY.

  9. #9
    Killer of Chains
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,798
    Fox Lefty + Push Industries = Really sweet Lefty.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    731

    Push does lefties?

    Paint Peelin- I did not know push did lefties. Have you had yours seviced- what was cost and your experience like?

  11. #11
    Killer of Chains
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,798
    They don't, but they likely will if/when Fox starts doing the internals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •