mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Buying an extra set of wheels for a bad boy and a quick3 - feminine-advice please

Ladies and gents, my wife and I have been riding the wheels off our bikes since we got them in June. We both have pretty slick tyres, and ride almost totally tarmaced cycle paths around where we live! Swindon, Wiltshire.

Trouble is, we've got so into cycling after a 10 year hiatus, that we want to do it more!

I considered getting a couple of hard tail 29ers, so we could right some muddier, more gnarly trails, but I've really got nowhere to store another 2 bikes.

I wonder if getting a new set of wheels with bigger knobblier tyres would be a good compromise, and just swap them when required?

Anyone done this, and does it make sense? Mine is a 2012 UK bad boy r4, with a rigid fatty fork. Hers is the 2012 quick 3 feminine (lovely bike). Mine has shimano discs, hers cannondale Vs.

Would welcome any guidance and tips, or suggestions

Best wishes

Chris

No Stranger to danger....
    Its a great idea Chris, heaps of people do that including myself..
    If you really like your bikes and you can see yourself not wanting to upgrade its a great idea.
    But if you can see yourself upgrading to better bikes in the near future id consider keepin the cash n spending it on new bikes, no point gettin new wheels for bikes your gonna get rid of.
    cheers mate
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    cool, does cannondale sell stuff like this direct?

I guess for the bike with Vs its more important to get exactly the same rims? iI reallydon't want to be adjusting V brakes every time i swap the wheels

this is my first bike with discs. would it be vital that discs and wheels are identical to originals?

cheers

chris

No Stranger to danger....
    I dont ride cannondale, i found this thread surfin the ''latest post'' function.
    But im pretty sure the bike with Vs will be no problem as it takes one second to adjust you v breaks calipers.
    Its the discs that you will wanna have the same specs.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    By the way, Tone's, there is no bike better than a Bad Boy Fatty!

Cheers

Chris

Nor­wegr
    Just make sure the wheels for the V bike has rims that support it and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ride my 2012 bad boy 1 with 26" wheels with kenda nevegal tires 2.1 width. I looked around and bought a used wheelset on ebay. I normally ride with the 700c wheels in the city and put on the 26" wheels for when I hit the trails. You just have to make sure that the rear wheel doesn't rub on the chainstays. I've had that happen a couple times and you just to make sure that the rear hub is adjusted properly and seated correctly.

Here is a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying an extra set of wheels for a bad boy and a quick3 - feminine-advice please-photo.jpg