Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16

    buying 90's F-series bikes

    There's a bunch of '97 to '99ish F series bikes on Craig's List. I think at least an F400, F500, and F700. The prices are all over the map, from $300 to $800. Here's my question: I'm interested in these for the aesthetics, light aluminum frames, geometry that matches my torso and limb length, and that made in USA je ne sais quoi. My goal is easy trail riding and ride-with-kids duty. I love buying older bikes (and cars and houses...) that are way down on the depreciation curve and giving them a new lease on life. $300 for a 15 year old bike with outdated, well, everything seems steep to me.

    What's a fair price range for this type of bike? I know the Headshok forks can be problematic, and the Coda components from that era don't have the best rep for durability, but I'm pretty certain that my use of the bike will be pretty light duty until the kids get a little bigger and want to try more aggressive trails.
    Last edited by dualpivot; 07-30-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: better title

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    I have '99 F3000 that I bought this year for $400. It had hardly been ridden, not a scratch on it. I am extremely satisfied!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I have '99 F3000 that I bought this year for $400. It had hardly been ridden, not a scratch on it. I am extremely satisfied!
    That sounds like a heck of a deal! I think I will lurk on Craig's List and see if any of the selling prices drift downwards - if the market value is well below the asking price it's unlikely they'll sell anytime soon.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by dualpivot View Post
    That sounds like a heck of a deal! I think I will lurk on Craig's List and see if any of the selling prices drift downwards - if the market value is well below the asking price it's unlikely they'll sell anytime soon.
    You won't find that deal again

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,375
    800$ is waaaaaay too much IMO, a 2011 800$ bikes will be a better buy in most cases, a lot has changed since 1997/99... I wouldn't pay much more than 300$ unless it's been upgraded with modern parts or something.

    Note that CAAD4 or less have a bit harsher ride, not an issue unless you actually ride these in rough trails for longer rides though. CAAD5 and up are much better frames.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    800$ is waaaaaay too much IMO, a 2011 800$ bikes will be a better buy in most cases, a lot has changed since 1997/99... I wouldn't pay much more than 300$ unless it's been upgraded with modern parts or something.

    Note that CAAD4 or less have a bit harsher ride, not an issue unless you actually ride these in rough trails for longer rides though. CAAD5 and up are much better frames.
    heh, that $800 bike is now on ebay starting at $750 - item #120757696448 (sorry not enough posts for a link). I'll pass on that one!
    Last edited by dualpivot; 08-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    800$ is waaaaaay too much IMO, a 2011 800$ bikes will be a better buy in most cases, a lot has changed since 1997/99... I wouldn't pay much more than 300$ unless it's been upgraded with modern parts or something.

    Note that CAAD4 or less have a bit harsher ride, not an issue unless you actually ride these in rough trails for longer rides though. CAAD5 and up are much better frames.

    I'm extremely new to mountain bikes (any bikes for that matter), but I have ridden several ranging from a Specialized Hardrock to a Stumpjumper. These bikes were lent to me before I bought my own and I was dead set on a Rockhopper until I saw the old F3000 in the shop. I was looking to pay $800 for the Rockhopper, but after riding both, I felt that it didn't offer anything better than the C'dale. I don't see any need for discs at the moment and I don't ride any trails that the headshok can't handle, so I'm happy. My bike is light, fast, nimble and gaudy, what more could I ask for?

Similar Threads

  1. Mid to late 90's Trek 9xx series (930,950,970,990).............
    By blak_byke in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 233
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 03:49 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
  4. Experience and input on late 90's Trek Y frame bikes. 98 mostly
    By aws140 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM
  5. Team Ritchey bikes (beg 90's)
    By xtr_nl in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •