mtbr member

Buy a 2004 Scalpel 900 or build my own?

Hey guys... I currently ride a 2009 F5 and love it. I want a Soft Tail with a Lefty as well. I found a great looking 2004 Scalpel 900 local that I can get for around $1100. It's the SoBe team replica version.

First thing... I'm a little concerned about the single pivot design of the Scalpel. Can you really tell a difference over a hard tail? Second... is $1100 to much for an 04? I really have no idea.

My other idea is to build my own. I'm not sure what frame to go with but I know I want to stay with Cannondale. I've looked at a Rush and a Prophet frame. I ride cross country. It's pretty flat here so no real climbing or down hill to worry about. I've never built a bike before and I know I'd mess some things up... but I thought it would be fun. I'm assuming I will end up spending way more if I build my own then If I just buy.

Sorry for the long post. Any help you could send my way would be appreaciated.

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    I recently sold my '05 for $1000.

If you ride xc, the Scalpel is the best machine out there. It's firm no matter how you look at it, but it climbs like there's no tomorrow and still has a plush side when you need it.

Just my opinion.
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP

mtbr member
    Thanks Jay. $1100 just seems like a bit much for an 04. I guess I'll let this one go and keep my eyes open.

I'd like to build but I'm sure I'll spend more money on the long run.

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    No problem, I really think that's the right choice. And yeah, I'd say you'll spend more building unless you stalk closeouts, chainlove and bonktown. Just keep an eye on craigslist, and google search something like "cannondale scalpel craigslist" and check out the results from cities all over the country.
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP

mtbr member
    There are always some older Scalpels for sale on ebay, so you can get a good idea on they're worth by tracking prices there.
    2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew