High Alpine Adventure

Busted SL Crank... What would you do?

Well I busted an SL Crank this weekend. It's on a 2007 Carbon Rush which I bought pretty much new in December. I have the unregistered warrenty card, but it is a 3 year old bike and I am not the original owner, so I'm assuming that the warrenty isn't going to apply to me. Anyone think any different?

OK, now what? I guess I'm in the market for a new crank. Now I understand the "Light, Durable or Cheap" scenario and defintely want to go Light and Durable. I don't want to go 10spd and I want to keep both the triple rings and the BB30.

There are a couple Hollowgrams on Ebay, but definitely not "Cheap"! The other alternatives I'm looking at are these two options;

Truvativ BB30 X.O 3.3... These run about $400 and change, but they are a bit on the heavy side. They are 10spd but the 64/104BCD means I can change out the rings for the FSA ones from the busted SL.

E-Bones W BB30... for about $550 minus the rings and these are light! Again, I can just use my FSA 64/104 BCD Rings.

Are there any other options I'm missing (and no, I don't think FSA is in the running)? Any experience between these two? What would you do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Busted SL Crank... What would you do?-img_3865web.jpg  

Busted SL Crank... What would you do?-img_3866web.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaGoat; 03-07-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Ridin' dirty!
    There was an official recall on the FSA manufactured carbon bb30 cranks if I remember correctly....
    So, even if you're not the original owner you might have a chance to get something settled through your dealer....the cannondale warranty pertains only to the frame anyways.
    Did you contact FSA customer service yet?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    There was an official recall on the FSA manufactured carbon bb30 cranks if I remember correctly....
    So, even if you're not the original owner you might have a chance to get something settled through your dealer....the cannondale warranty pertains only to the frame anyways.
    Did you contact FSA customer service yet?
    No, should I contact FSA or Cannondale? And seriously, the guy I bought this bike from never rode it. It had maybe 50 miles of road and parking lot on it. It still had the original tires and stickers on it. So even though it was three years old, it was clean as new! I've maybe put 200 on it in the last 3 months. So this isn't a "wear and tear" issue.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Ridin' dirty!
    I would try FSA first and see what they say....most manufacturers of high end parts are pretty supportive after one of their products had a failure.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What about SRAM XX.....630g with BB30 BB (almost as light as the current SI's, which are 580g), and $430 at Competitive Cyclist.

156Q Here

164Q Cranks Here

I have SI's on both my road bikes and am very happy with my XX on my mtn bike.

mtbr member
    The X.0 BB30 double is 710g w/ BB, lighter than the Si (730 I think). The triple can't be too much more.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    What about SRAM XX.....
    Thanks... again I want to keep my triple ring. XX is a dedicated 2 ring. The Truvative XO is what SRAM is marketing for a more flexible platform.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0
    What about replacing with the same cranks?
    I thought about that too, but those are 170's and I'm 6'0" tall and definitely want a 175 crank arm. Plus, I'm a little gun shy now of the FSA Cranks.

I did find a better deal on the Extralite's here. Anyone riding them and care to comment on the stiffness? I'm liking the idea of a light alloy crank. I'm wondering if they are similar to the Shimano XTR's in feel?

It's also why I would consider some Hollowgrams...
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I thought about that too, but those are 170's and I'm 6'0" tall and definitely want a 175 crank arm. Plus, I'm a little gun shy now of the FSA Cranks.

I did find a better deal on the Extralite's here. Anyone riding them and care to comment on the stiffness? I'm liking the idea of a light alloy crank. I'm wondering if they are similar to the Shimano XTR's in feel?

It's also why I would consider some Hollowgrams...
    Pro riders have often stated that they don't notice the difference between 170 and 175 crank arms, so its unlikely you will.

Your failure might be apart of the 2007 recall on the Si cranks (most likely, as these cranks have a good reputation), so it would be worth letting FSA or Cannondale know about it, even just to see what they say.

You can find the recall info on this page. Go down to "Recalls", and download the corresponding PDF.

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/manuals

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0
    Pro riders have often stated that they don't notice the difference between 170 and 175 crank arms, so its unlikely you will.

Your failure might be apart of the 2007 recall on the Si cranks (most likely, as these cranks have a good reputation), so it would be worth letting FSA or Cannondale know about it, even just to see what they say.

You can find the recall info on this page. Go down to "Recalls", and download the corresponding PDF.

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/manuals
    Thanks!!! I will send this off to FSA and see what they have to say.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! I will send this off to FSA and see what they have to say.
    No problem. Let us know how you get on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    The X.0 BB30 double is 710g w/ BB, lighter than the Si (730 I think). The triple can't be too much more.
    I thought Cannondale said on their site (before they changed it and hid everything) "At a total system weight of 580 grams, the Hollowgram Si SL and BB30 system..."

As for a triple, I missed that. Sorry. It's a shame you want so much weight savings. I am taking off my Truvativ AKA triple BB30 (came on my 2011 Jekyll) and am selling it ASAP. I am replacing it with a XX setup. It weighs 800g with a BB30. and is certainly strong enough. It would be cheap too. Oh well.

Good luck!

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    I thought Cannondale said on their site (before they changed it and hid everything) "At a total system weight of 580 grams, the Hollowgram Si SL and BB30 system..."

As for a triple, I missed that. Sorry. It's a shame you want so much weight savings. I am taking off my Truvativ AKA triple BB30 (came on my 2011 Jekyll) and am selling it ASAP. I am replacing it with a XX setup. It weighs 800g with a BB30. and is certainly strong enough. It would be cheap too. Oh well.

Good luck!
    I think I saw 630gr for the Hollowgram with a triple somewhere. It is one of the lighter cranks out there and would work well. But it's pulling $700 on Ebay. The Extralite can be had for $470 so it's looking like the way to go.

Course I want to see what FSA has to say, but time is short in that I have a race on April 9th and have to get sorted before then.

And thanks Hunter, do appreciate the thought, but considering you are going to an XX, I think we both appreciate saving weight where ever possible!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    rotor make a BB30 crank now, and it looks pretty pretty gooood. don't know the price though!

http://www.rotorbike.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well I busted an SL Crank this weekend. It's on a 2007 Carbon Rush which I bought pretty much new in December. I have the unregistered warrenty card, but it is a 3 year old bike and I am not the original owner, so I'm assuming that the warrenty isn't going to apply to me. Anyone think any different?
    Sorry I'm a little confused here. You stated that you busted an SL crank. Was it an SL hollowgram or the FSA SI carbon? The SL is made by Cannondale. If it's an SL crank, you can just replace whatever broke (crank arm or spider). Otherwise, the FSA Afterburner is a reasonably priced alternative albeit a little heavier than the more expensive options. The aluminum SI cranks are only 50g heavier than the SL's and you can usually find one on ebay at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry, just looked at your images. That's the carbon SI crank. They may replace it due to recall.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've got the Extralights. I could tell the difference in stiffness compared to the SL's now on that bike, but mostly in ride quality, as in the the Extralights were a bit easier on my feet after 24 hours. I am sure there is a difference in power transfer as well, but I couldn't quantify that. They are different systems though, the Extralights are an external bearing like deal and I had to green loctite the bearing cup into the BB 30 shell to keep them from creaking. Very narrow Q- factor as well so factor that in.

I'm 150 pounds and they now reside on my wife's bike and have been problem free so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your problem is really simple, you have to change the spindle, is cheaper than a crank set. That way you will keep tha carbon cranks. The recall for the cranks is a problem whit the crabon estructure.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by GUSSY
    Your problem is really simple, you have to change the spindle, is cheaper than a crank set. That way you will keep tha carbon cranks. The recall for the cranks is a problem whit the crabon estructure.
    You can change the spindle? I thought it was bonded to the drive side crank? I'll have to look at it when I get home. And yes, my bad, these are the "Si" FSA Cranks, not the Hollowgrams.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

FSA is responsive!

Got the response from FSA and it is understandable. Fast reply, so I'm satisfied with them. Now on to Cannondale...

Hello Doug,

Thanks for contacting FSA about your crank. Unfortunately, you have a Cannondale SI crankset which is warranted through Cannondale.

It will be necessary to contact Cannondale at 1-800-BIKEUSA or custserv@cannondale.com for recall/ warranty service of your crankset.

Regards,

Bryan Wielgasz
    Tech Services Manager
    Full Speed Ahead
    12212 Cyrus Way
    Mukilteo, WA 98275
    Dug-Da-Goat

Ridin' dirty!
    Got the response from FSA and it is understandable. Fast reply, so I'm satisfied with them. Now on to Cannondale...

Hello Doug,

Thanks for contacting FSA about your crank. Unfortunately, you have a Cannondale SI crankset which is warranted through Cannondale.

It will be necessary to contact Cannondale at 1-800-BIKEUSA or custserv@cannondale.com for recall/ warranty service of your crankset.

Regards,

Bryan Wielgasz
    Tech Services Manager
    Full Speed Ahead
    12212 Cyrus Way
    Mukilteo, WA 98275

Hope cdale will help you out on this one....
    Keep us posted...

High Alpine Adventure

Cannondale reply...

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Hope cdale will help you out on this one....
    Keep us posted...
    Cannondale was equally responsive. I dropped my bike off at a local shop that deals with Cannondale and they said they would get some answers tomorrow on what can be done. I told them that if at all possible I would gladly pay an upcharge to get a set of Hollowgram Cranks. Not sure that's going to happen, but one never knows...

Hello Doug.

Thank you for taking the time to write us. Sorry to hear of your findings. Please bring your Rush and the cranks to your local Cannondale Retailer. Your Retailer is the contact for all recalls that affect Cannondale products. The Dealer Locator link on our website www.cannondale.com can help you to find a Cannondale Retailer near you.

Thank you for contacting Cannondale. Have a nice day.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Cannondale was equally responsive. I dropped my bike off at a local shop that deals with Cannondale and they said they would get some answers tomorrow on what can be done. I told them that if at all possible I would gladly pay an upcharge to get a set of Hollowgram Cranks. Not sure that's going to happen, but one never knows...

Hello Doug.

Thank you for taking the time to write us. Sorry to hear of your findings. Please bring your Rush and the cranks to your local Cannondale Retailer. Your Retailer is the contact for all recalls that affect Cannondale products. The Dealer Locator link on our website www.cannondale.com can help you to find a Cannondale Retailer near you.

Thank you for contacting Cannondale. Have a nice day.
    Good luck with your recall claim. I think i'm right in saying that the Si cranks are no longer in production, as they have now been replaced by the SL Hollowgram cranks. So you might get lucky and get offered a deal on Hollowgrams, as a straight swap may not be possible.
    Its also possible that Cannondale will offer you one of the other BB30 cranks they have been fitting to there recent bikes, a FSA Afterburner crankset for example.

Lets us know how its goes.

High Alpine Adventure
    Well, here's how the deal went down just to close out this thread. Cannondale did indeed make good on the Crank Recall. However, they weren't willing to play ball on the Hollowgram. Instead they are sending out an FSA SLK Light MTB Triple to replace the Cannondale Si.

Now this actually will work out fine. I was willing to pay up to $500 to get the Hollowgram. Which was a good deal for them. But instead I bought the Extralite for around $520 and when I get the SLK, I'll turn around and sell it offsetting the cost somewhat.

And for reference, the SLK is about 800gr and the Extralite with rings will be under 600gr so that shaves somewhere around 1/2lb off the bike right there. Looks like I'll be rolling in a couple weeks.... Now if I could just get those 650b Schwalbe's, I'd be doing well!
    Dug-Da-Goat