A guy on a bike Moderator

Bushings & Bearings for RZ 120

Howdy all,

In a few weeks, I'll be getting a new 2011 RZ One Twenty One. I plan on upgrading a few things immediately, such as derailleur cables, to make it more durable for endurance rides and races.

So, here's the question: is there anything that I should do with the rear-suspension? Are there any after-market upgrades, such as bearings, that will enhance the durability and reliability of pivot points? Is this even necessary?

Of course, I'd love any and all suggestions that might help this bike more durable. I finished the Colorado Trail Race this year on my ancient '94 Delta V 700 (with major upgrades), and I didn't have one mechanical problem. I'm looking forward to a full-suspension ride next year, but all of the extra pieces make me a little nervous...

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Toby

Wow, no responses! Should I take this as confirmation that nothing can/should be done?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've done numberous 8 hour solos on my Rize and it has never let me down. After the first season, I replaced the lower shock bushing. After this season, I'll replace the main pivot bearings. The bike sees 2000-3000 kms per season.

I wouldnt bother replacinging anything until it needs it, and of course go over your bike before and after every event.

Thanks Yanner. That looks like pretty good mileage. The CTR is about 800 kms (500 miles), so it doesn't sound like I need to be worried.

Tool
    The one thing I'd do is remove each suspension (bearing) bolt, apply some grease to the bearings, and reassemble with plenty of LocTite blue.

My RZ was assembled by C'dale with sparingly little LocTite, causing some of the bolts to back out with use. After installing them myself, they've stayed tight and quiet for hundreds of miles.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    If there is one weak point on the Rize/Rz family of bikes, it seems to be the lower shock bushing.

Search the forums, as there is a quite a few discussions on the topic, and quite a few different solutions been found.

On my Rize, if found the excessive wear to be caused by inaccurate dimensions around the shock mounting points (especially the hanger), and have now replaced the original bushings and bolts with harder wearing after-market parts, that are also sized to fit more tightly.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Miscellan...unt-Kits-127mm

As another poster has said, i would wait until you need to replace parts before doing so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Seat Stay bearings wear prematurely.

Check out the thread here (Rize related but same design on RZ 120):

Look what I found! (Rize rear suspension creak elated).

mtbr member

Thanks guys!