mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Building a C'dale from the frame up/Need help

I'm looking to pick out a quality but not too expensive frame and build the bike from the frame up. I'm looking for a hardtail frame only and would like all you Cannondale riders opinions on where or what frame I should go with. Thanks

Can't stop the Prophet
    What kind of riding are you planning on doing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Alloy or carbon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141
    What kind of riding are you planning on doing?
    I'll be doing XC(cross country) for the most part. Some small jumps, nothing extreme, typical trail riding, forrest areas with some rocky terrain but nothing super challenging, and also cruising around some city streets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Ribeiro
    Alloy or carbon?
    Alloy

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a caffeine f4 2009 frame! Its the same f3,f2 nd f1(2009) frame!

I have one and i love it! Light, strong, and have a excellent geometry for xc races!

http://cgi.ebay.com/09-Cannondale-fr...item414d6e5516

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I second the Caffeine recommendation. I have a 2007 F3 and LOVE it! I also build it from the ground up. It was a very rewarding experience! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Another vote for a Caffeine frame, and a Lefty if you can afford it.

Cyclist of Borg
    I third the Caffeine. I built up an F1 last summer and it is awesome
    Resistance is to high a gear.. i mean futile

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for the recommendation guys. i looked at both the 2009 f4 and f3 frames. is there a difference between the 2 frames other than the f3 being made in the USA and the F4 not???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    All caffeine 2009 are made in USA.

The only diference its the name, color and decals

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 2009 F4 is made in the USA. A Caffeine frame is a Caffeine frame and are all made in the USA. Doesn't matter if it is F1, F2, F3, F4. The only variants are the 29er, and the single speed. Some minor variants are BB30 bottom brackets and integrated headsets.

You know what confuses things? All of the F series (F1 through F8 or whatever) aren't a specific model, but rather a pricepoint. This has led to a weird situation for the F4 where every year it has been switching frames. From memory:

2007 F4: Furio-X frame, made in USA
    2008 F4: CO2 SL frame, made in Asia
    2009 F4: Caffeine frame, made in USA
    2010 F4: Trail SL, not sure where it is made.

But make no mistake, the F4 you're looking at is 2009, made in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    thanks for the recommendation guys. i looked at both the 2009 f4 and f3 frames. is there a difference between the 2 frames other than the f3 being made in the USA and the F4 not???

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    The 2009 F4 is made in the USA. A Caffeine frame is a Caffeine frame and are all made in the USA. Doesn't matter if it is F1, F2, F3, F4. The only variants are the 29er, and the single speed. Some minor variants are BB30 bottom brackets and integrated headsets.

You know what confuses things? All of the F series (F1 through F8 or whatever) aren't a specific model, but rather a pricepoint. This has led to a weird situation for the F4 where every year it has been switching frames. From memory:

2007 F4: Furio-X frame, made in USA
    2008 F4: CO2 SL frame, made in Asia
    2009 F4: Caffeine frame, made in USA
    2010 F4: Trail SL, not sure where it is made.

But make no mistake, the F4 you're looking at is 2009, made in USA.
    Yea i was a little confused if it was made in the USA because I didn't see the stamp or made in the USA on the side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

i just built one up;....

i just built an 07 F5 up for my sister.... single speed with a rigid 29er front .....

My Sisters new SS

the only advice i can give you is about the headset... if you want new get the woodman headshock headset, its the cheapest nicest one for the bigger cano head tubes....
    30 bucks and it comes in differnt flavors...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any thoughts on the taiwan built F5's? I found an F5 frame cheap but not sure whether to buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Take your time. It took me 6 months to find my frame. I had an ebay search running every day or so for frames with the results sent to my e-mail. After months of searching and pining over lost deals I found a 2007 F3 frame mistakenly listed as an F4 (no F designation on the frame, but it said Caffeine on it, and had the alternate 2007 blue/black F3 paint job). Turns out it was a brand new factory replacement frame that had never been built up. (replaced an F4?) Anyway I got it for $150 shipped 2 years ago.

My results aren't typical but stuff like that happens for the patient.

I'm not knocking the F5 frame, but my Caffeine is a work of art. The joints just seem to meld into one another. I love the welds that the higher end frames come with. Good luck!

old pic. New fork, removed reflectors.... etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik
    Take your time. It took me 6 months to find my frame. I had an ebay search running every day or so for frames with the results sent to my e-mail. After months of searching and pining over lost deals I found a 2007 F3 frame mistakenly listed as an F4 (no F designation on the frame, but it said Caffeine on it, and had the alternate 2007 blue/black F3 paint job). Turns out it was a brand new factory replacement frame that had never been built up. (replaced an F4?) Anyway I got it for $150 shipped 2 years ago.

My results aren't typical but stuff like that happens for the patient.

I'm not knocking the F5 frame, but my Caffeine is a work of art. The joints just seem to meld into one another. I love the welds that the higher end frames come with. Good luck!

old pic. New fork, removed reflectors.... etc
    6 months? i realize it's good to be patient but if it's going to take me that long, the summer will be over by the time i get the frame. i'll keep looking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well as I said my results aren't typical. I had the time to wait. I started near the end of the summer and didn't score the frame until about this time of the year. For me it was well worth it, but your mileage may vary as they say. My point was more to be on the look out and not necessarily to hop on the first thing that comes your way. I also didn't really have the money until this point in the year. (tax refund) So that played a part in it also.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Dude it took me a year to locate price and buy all of the components I needed to put my Prophet together. It all depends on your budget and what you're after. Take your time, the faster you build it the more it will cost you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am building up a CAAD 5 frame from year 2000. I think these are still some of the best frames out there! In addition, I think they look much nicer cosmetically (with the dual/quad Cannondale stickers) than the newer frames.