mtbr member

Building a 1FG - Lefty Question

I've been wanting to build a single speed for awhile. I found a 1FG frame and would like to put a lefty on it. Is there only certain models I can put on that frame? Also is there a reason I wouldn't want to put a Lefty Max on there? I was thinking I'd like to go for a carbon lefty but not sure I'll be able to find one in my price range. I've seen a few DLR's on eBay. Not sure if that would be decent? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Any would be fine, though a DLR2 Speed would be "most appropriate" geometry wise.

If you want to toss a Max on, it'll fit just fine, but it will slack to HTA out a little more than a degree....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    To be honest I may like that to tell you the truth. I keep my prophet in the FR position. It's a bummer to not have the BB clearance but I prefer the way it rides. I just wasn't sure if that much suspension would be overkill on a hard tail. The last time I had a hard tail was back when fully rigid was your option...unless you had a huge bank account. I'm really up in the air on this build. On one hand I really wanted to buy a 29er and convert that. Was thinking the Flash 29er. But that is a lot more money upfront. If I build the 1FG I'll probably end up spending the same but be able to spend the money a part at a time. Does anyone out there think I should try one of the other wheel sizes? Mendo, do you know if I could put the 27.5 on that frame?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's a fine amount of travel for a HT. You want bigger than stock, no reason not to jump in.

Wheel sizes, I'd skip the 650B and go straight to 29 (not on that frame, mind you).

650B will die a slow, lingering death in the MTB market, if you want my opinion!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com