Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken Scalpel carbon 29's

19K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  Clymbo 
#1 ·
Is anyone else seeing consistent reliability issues with this frame?

#15 ·
As we all know, ANY frame can be broken - no matter how sound the design and execution - this is especially true of a race XC frame. So simply stating that frames have failed is almost meaningless, except for trolling purposes.

Usually, folks interested in setting up a thread for product failure data collection - begin by providing pics and details of how the frame(s) failed, how c'dale handled it, etc. etc.

Do you care to tell us what happenned?

#20 ·
:skep: That's why I thought as well.....the way it's frayed it sure looks like a lot of force caused this frame to fail and judging by the overall look it seems the bike didn't get a lot of love either....probably a Rental/Fleet bike?

#16 ·
The bike is flat out amazing, stiff, responsive, light, holds speed well etc. hence my disappointment. Cannondale is good about the warranty, it is however frustrating having to wait for parts to be in stock.

The first one (second pic) I noticed while I was cleaning my bike after a fairly casual 25 mile ride here in Texas. No drops, jumps, etc. Just what I would call typical Texas hill country technical xc.

The second one failed while I was riding, I came up a small rocky climb and almost got pitched over the bars. I got off and walked up the rest of the climb, hopped on again and the bike lurched rearward again. Upon closer inspection the wheel was contacting the frame when pressure was applied to the pedals. I found the break and got to walk about 8 miles home.

#19 ·
i have no pics , however a friend here in Italy had a failure.

probably caused from cable guides in the bottom of the main tube .

they are too rigid, too much force applied from cables and hoses and it causes a break starting from the screw hole.

this is my friend theory, waiting for a reply from Cannondale.

i have no opinion about it ... i never had a Scalpel 29er

#25 ·
One of my buddies had the rear brake mounting tab debond itself on his '12 29er Carbon 1 - 4th ride (this was back in July). Cannondale sent a new rear triangle out, no questions. No issues since then.

he's also had the rear hub come apart - the section of hub where the rotor mounts, started rotating on the hub body some. DT replaced the wheel once - it just happened again last week - I don't know if he had time to talk to them again yet.

#27 ·
Still awaiting a swing arm. Cannondale now is going to send a mismatching swing arm once they are available. I am extremely disappointed, I even offered to take a Jekyll replacement frame that would be stronger and they offered it to me for a $1000 fee. Buyer beware.

#35 ·
When CSG offered me a mismatched frame, I rejected it and told them to replace the whole bike and they did.

Don't accept a mismatching swing arm, that will look awful. I highly doubt Cannondale want you riding it around, basically advertising the fact that they've had a failiure. They should at the very least, replace the WHOLE frame. Can I ask, when did you buy the bike?

In regards to the "trolling". Guys, give him a break. Don't get me wrong it did initially look like he was trolling but not everyone is very good at expressing themselves on a public forum. Especailly when this sort of thing happens.

The bottom line is, ANY frame can be broken. You just have to be unlucky. I mean look at that guy's Jeckyll in one of the other threads. All because he was using the wrong seatpost clamp, he wasn't to know. An easy mistake to make, with a brutal punishment. I know how it feels to be in this position (mine was a manufacturing fault luckily), so let's offer some support here.

#28 ·
If I am correct, these bikes are the ones with no bottom hinges and the two bottom tubes flex. I was wondering how these would hold up. I saw a youtube vid on this and was unsure about the setup. Seeing the first pix confirmed my thought about its strength. When you are flexing the bottom of the rear box with no pivots you will weaken the carbon. Oh well, nice try Cannondale.

Mark

#34 ·
You guys are all right, kind of. Excluding the shock swing link...

29er Carbon: 1 pivot at the chainstay, bottom bracket junction
29er Alloy: 2 pivots, one at the seatstay, bb junction, another at the Chainstay/seatstay junction.
26er (carbon only): No pivots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.