Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken Scalpel carbon 29's

19K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  Clymbo 
#1 ·
Is anyone else seeing consistent reliability issues with this frame?

#43 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Finger Bicycle
Thread resurrection.

I received my Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 in August 2012 - It's an amazing bike.

Whilst training last week I've suffered a frame failure at the drive side chainstay - broken right through.

I can't imagine that I broke the bike that ride, perhaps there was a crack already I hadnt noticed where the frame had been covered by a chainstay protector... I don't know.

Regardless - Cannondale will not honor the warranty on this break - it does look pretty similar to the failure posted by SuperSlow though.

#44 ·
View attachment 807311 Thread resurrection.

I received my Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 in August 2012 - It's an amazing bike.

Whilst training last week I've suffered a frame failure at the drive side chainstay - broken right through.

I can't imagine that I broke the bike that ride, perhaps there was a crack already I hadnt noticed where the frame had been covered by a chainstay protector... I don't know.

Regardless - Cannondale will not honor the warranty on this break - it does look pretty similar to the failure posted by SuperSlow though.
On what grounds?

#45 ·
That it's a 'single catastrophic failure'.

So I believe they think I've crashed it hard, or been downhilling on it - neither true.

I've been offered a discounted rear swingarm, and my LBS (who are awesome) have offered to swap this over for free as a gesture.

Such a shame.

#49 ·
A friend of mine has the same problem, the back swimg arm on his scalpel carbon 2 broke last september 2013 and he's still waiting for a replacement, i think thats so ridiculous. I my self have a cannondale f29 aluminum and i too afraid to buy a carbon frame from them.

If any of you can help us whit this matter we would greatly appreciate it.

#50 ·
2013 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 29er part

Hi there. Sorry to reply to an old thread but i'm looking for a very random Scalpel part. I have uploaded a picture of the part I'm looking for. Hopefully someone has one laying around that I can purchase. Do you have a damaged rear triangle and might have one laying around.
Thanks in advance. White Line Font Black Parallel

#53 ·
I too needed a new bridge a while back, and Cdale lead time was two months. That site is also where I found mine, and is the ONLY place I could find it 6 mos ago. Although they only had white which looks funny on my ultimate, it did get from Germany to Texas in 10 days, was so happy to get the bike back on the trail.

#54 ·
Cannodale Frame Broken FSI Carbon 1

Hello

could you please inform me if your cannodale frame was replacement with seat tube broken or Seat stay ?

There are here people with the same problem.

Cannodale does not want to replace my frame

I would like request your expertise to help me on this .

Thank you and Regards
CV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.