Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    yea cannondale has been stellar about the warranty, but now they dont have replacement parts in until mid december

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Still awaiting a swing arm. Cannondale now is going to send a mismatching swing arm once they are available. I am extremely disappointed, I even offered to take a Jekyll replacement frame that would be stronger and they offered it to me for a $1000 fee. Buyer beware.

mtbr member
    If I am correct, these bikes are the ones with no bottom hinges and the two bottom tubes flex. I was wondering how these would hold up. I saw a youtube vid on this and was unsure about the setup. Seeing the first pix confirmed my thought about its strength. When you are flexing the bottom of the rear box with no pivots you will weaken the carbon. Oh well, nice try Cannondale.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    If I am correct, these bikes are the ones with no bottom hinges and the two bottom tubes flex. I was wondering how these would hold up. I saw a youtube vid on this and was unsure about the setup. Seeing the first pix confirmed my thought about its strength. When you are flexing the bottom of the rear box with no pivots you will weaken the carbon. Oh well, nice try Cannondale.

Mark
    29er has a pivot. 26 does not.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    29er has a pivot. 26 does not.
    Nope, only the alloy 29'er has hinges, the 29'er carbon has none just like the 26'er.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Nope, only the alloy 29'er has hinges, the 29'er carbon has none just like the 26'er.
    have you seen it in person?

Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 29er | Mtbr's Coverage of the Sea Otter Classic

EDIT: My appologies , for some reason I thought we are talking about the main pivot.
    Last edited by alex_k; 12-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    The 29er carbon does indeed have a pivot behind the BB, unlike the 26er which does not.

The 29er aluminum has an additional pivot above the dropout on the seat stay, which the carbon does NOT have.

mtbr member
    You guys are all right, kind of. Excluding the shock swing link...

29er Carbon: 1 pivot at the chainstay, bottom bracket junction
    29er Alloy: 2 pivots, one at the seatstay, bb junction, another at the Chainstay/seatstay junction.
    26er (carbon only): No pivots
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    Still awaiting a swing arm. Cannondale now is going to send a mismatching swing arm once they are available. I am extremely disappointed, I even offered to take a Jekyll replacement frame that would be stronger and they offered it to me for a $1000 fee. Buyer beware.
    When CSG offered me a mismatched frame, I rejected it and told them to replace the whole bike and they did.

Don't accept a mismatching swing arm, that will look awful. I highly doubt Cannondale want you riding it around, basically advertising the fact that they've had a failiure. They should at the very least, replace the WHOLE frame. Can I ask, when did you buy the bike?

In regards to the "trolling". Guys, give him a break. Don't get me wrong it did initially look like he was trolling but not everyone is very good at expressing themselves on a public forum. Especailly when this sort of thing happens.

The bottom line is, ANY frame can be broken. You just have to be unlucky. I mean look at that guy's Jeckyll in one of the other threads. All because he was using the wrong seatpost clamp, he wasn't to know. An easy mistake to make, with a brutal punishment. I know how it feels to be in this position (mine was a manufacturing fault luckily), so let's offer some support here.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ended up buying a different frame. I can't risk having to miss races due to more frame failures. If anyone wants a scalpel 1 xl frame let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    I ended up buying a different frame. I can't risk having to miss races due to more frame failures. If anyone wants a scalpel 1 xl frame let me know.
    What frame did you get?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have put many rough miles on mine. NO issues what so ever. I just got a Trigger 29er since I have been pushing Scalpel "beyond" its intended use.

mtbr member
    I'm amazed that you brought another Cannondale tbh... I expected you to have gone over to the dark side....

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    i have no pics , however a friend here in Italy had a failure.

probably caused from cable guides in the bottom of the main tube .

they are too rigid, too much force applied from cables and hoses and it causes a break starting from the screw hole.

this is my friend theory, waiting for a reply from Cannondale.

i have no opinion about it ... i never had a Scalpel 29er
    Cables exerting force? Really?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    What frame did you get?
    I bought a pivot 429 carbon....put the lefty and all other parts on it. There is a thread in the pivot forum

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'd love to buy anyone's broken frame here... I've a couple of repaired flash carbons already and I love them/have had no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Broken Scalpel carbon 29's-broken-scalpel.jpgThread resurrection.

I received my Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 in August 2012 - It's an amazing bike.

Whilst training last week I've suffered a frame failure at the drive side chainstay - broken right through.

I can't imagine that I broke the bike that ride, perhaps there was a crack already I hadnt noticed where the frame had been covered by a chainstay protector... I don't know.

Regardless - Cannondale will not honor the warranty on this break - it does look pretty similar to the failure posted by SuperSlow though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelIOM View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Scalpel.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	807311Thread resurrection.

I received my Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 in August 2012 - It's an amazing bike.

Whilst training last week I've suffered a frame failure at the drive side chainstay - broken right through.

I can't imagine that I broke the bike that ride, perhaps there was a crack already I hadnt noticed where the frame had been covered by a chainstay protector... I don't know.

Regardless - Cannondale will not honor the warranty on this break - it does look pretty similar to the failure posted by SuperSlow though.
    On what grounds?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That it's a 'single catastrophic failure'.

So I believe they think I've crashed it hard, or been downhilling on it - neither true.

I've been offered a discounted rear swingarm, and my LBS (who are awesome) have offered to swap this over for free as a gesture.

Such a shame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How much was the swing arm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It was 225 GBP, so came in a lot cheaper than I had expected.

Took around 3 weeks for the part to arrive as there were non available in Europe.

LBS did all the work for free as per above post.

Super please to have the bike back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelIOM View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Scalpel.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	807311Thread resurrection.
    The reason there is a "thread resurrection" is that people like me search google when their frames break in shocking ways. My 2013 scalpel 1 broke in the seat tube area after 270 miles. I weigh 153 lbs and just ride normal flattish XC type trails. Yay the warranty is great but This is the 4th warranty and I'm without a bike for A month or so each time. I tip the bike shop guys like crazy too. My last chainstay area break looked a lot like yours just not quite as knarly. It started as a small looking stress crack that got worse and worse each ride until I could tell it would break soon. The authorized dealer suggested I ride it til it broke. I realized if I did that it WOULD end up looking like a crash or bike rack fall off. I'm lucky they've not cried "catastrophic event".

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A friend of mine has the same problem, the back swimg arm on his scalpel carbon 2 broke last september 2013 and he's still waiting for a replacement, i think thats so ridiculous. I my self have a cannondale f29 aluminum and i too afraid to buy a carbon frame from them.

If any of you can help us whit this matter we would greatly appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2