Thread: Broken Scalpel

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Broken Scalpel

SO I have a complaint with Cannondale on their customer service on the warranty of a frame. I brought my cracked frame to my shop i have raced for and have been friends with the manager for over ten years. The manager knows everything about bikes and is a friend who I would trust and ask anything biking related first.
    The frame was dropped off before Thanksgiving, and just last Wed after a heated email at connondale customer service they will warranty the frame. The rep never showed up in over 6 weeks and has been aware of the problem and even appologized in an email which is fine. My biggest complaint is that this is not rocket science. Why can't the dealer have some authority on the decision if the rep cannot be present in a reasonable amount of time? How about sending pics via email and deciding without a visit if it were possible. I own 2 other top end Cannondale bikes and loves the company but was dissapointed in this lack of effort on their part. Furthermore, it makes the shop look like they were not doing everything when in fact they absolutly were. I'm not sure what everyone does for a job or work but this kind of slow response is unacceptable for a business.....Fianlly all has been resolved and the frame will be replaced ....now I just have to wait and see when they will be able to send the replacemnt frame and paint it.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by bozizle
    SO I have a complaint with Cannondale on their customer service on the warranty of a frame. I brought my cracked frame to my shop i have raced for and have been friends with the manager for over ten years. The manager knows everything about bikes and is a friend who I would trust and ask anything biking related first.
    The frame was dropped off before Thanksgiving, and just last Wed after a heated email at connondale customer service they will warranty the frame. The rep never showed up in over 6 weeks and has been aware of the problem and even appologized in an email which is fine. My biggest complaint is that this is not rocket science. Why can't the dealer have some authority on the decision if the rep cannot be present in a reasonable amount of time? How about sending pics via email and deciding without a visit if it were possible. I own 2 other top end Cannondale bikes and loves the company but was dissapointed in this lack of effort on their part. Furthermore, it makes the shop look like they were not doing everything when in fact they absolutly were. I'm not sure what everyone does for a job or work but this kind of slow response is unacceptable for a business.....Fianlly all has been resolved and the frame will be replaced ....now I just have to wait and see when they will be able to send the replacemnt frame and paint it.
    Why couldn't the shop ship the frame to Cannondale if the Rep. was unable to visit the shop?

I hope all works out for you in time for spring!

LA CHÈVRE
    Seems like a case of a not so good rep...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Are you talking to me?

That is what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Seems like a case of a not so good rep...
    Without knowing the full story. The shop that I am at rarely sees the Rep. The rep and Cannondale rely on us to make those types of decisions.
    gfy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. Sounds like a bad relationship, or understanding of said relationship, between the rep, and the shop. The shop i worked for that dealt with them, ran it like this. Customer comes in, we feel out the situation, make an initial warranty call, and order a new frame under warranty. It takes the time it's going to, comes in, we contact the customer when their bike is rebuilt, they pay us for the rebuild labor, and leave happy, loving Cannondale. Note this is currently on OUR account. Rep shows up, maybe 2 weeks, maybe 2 months, depending on time of year. We pull out the box with all the relevant warranty concerns, and go through it with them. They write us a credit, and all is good in the world. Every so often, something would not be up to snuff in the reps mind. Usually, we could talk him into a credit, or a partial at least. It's all a give and take, we loved Cannondale, and sold a crapload of them, he knew it, and we, in essence, had each others back. Maybe this style of business has changed since Cannondale dropped the family mentality, and went all corporate G dog on us, but I would guess that you could still do it that way, if the shop is willing to carry it for the short term. Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Tell me about it. I've wasted two riding seasons over the past couple of years waiting on Cannondale's snail paced warranty services. First two were with Scalpel's that creaked like mad (I've given up on the Scalpels), third was with a Prophet rear swingarm that did the same thing. I'm back up & running silent now (knock on wood) , but I'll tell you one thing -I've lost a lot of good riding time here in New England. My next bike will most likely be from someone other than C-dale as a result.

Are you talking to me?

That is us.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. Sounds like a bad relationship, or understanding of said relationship, between the rep, and the shop. The shop i worked for that dealt with them, ran it like this. Customer comes in, we feel out the situation, make an initial warranty call, and order a new frame under warranty. It takes the time it's going to, comes in, we contact the customer when their bike is rebuilt, they pay us for the rebuild labor, and leave happy, loving Cannondale. Note this is currently on OUR account. Rep shows up, maybe 2 weeks, maybe 2 months, depending on time of year. We pull out the box with all the relevant warranty concerns, and go through it with them. They write us a credit, and all is good in the world. Every so often, something would not be up to snuff in the reps mind. Usually, we could talk him into a credit, or a partial at least. It's all a give and take, we loved Cannondale, and sold a crapload of them, he knew it, and we, in essence, had each others back. Maybe this style of business has changed since Cannondale dropped the family mentality, and went all corporate G dog on us, but I would guess that you could still do it that way, if the shop is willing to carry it for the short term. Good luck with it!
    That is exactly how our rep handled that type of thing. Perhaps the OP has a shop with issues between them and Cannondale?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

good point

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    That is exactly how our rep handled that type of thing. Perhaps the OP has a shop with issues between them and Cannondale?

Wierd part is the manager raced on Cannondale factory east coast team and has a very good relationship with Cannondale. I think it was more or less a holiday schedule problem and the rep not coming down. Either way I have to wait a bit longer but my IF 29er SS is here so that should keep me busy for awhile. Thanks for the feedback to everyone

Are you talking to me?

Good luck.

Hang in there. At least Cannondale will do the right thing, even if it is slower.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mine cracked also!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bozizle
    I had a 2002 Scalpel 1000 and after 2 years broke at the chainstays!!!. My shock was also worn out at the shaft (the coating was worn off and it was leaking air) and the rocker arm had a lot of play in it. It took about 4 weeks to get the new frame in but there was (3)problems after that:

1.The bike sat in the dealer for an additional 2 weeks awaiting a shock bushing. So it really took 6 weeks in total to get the bike back. I called Cannondale about the situation, and they informed me I could get the part thru FOX. Well 2 weeks prior the same Cannondale employee told my dealer that the part was only available through Cannondale and it would be an additional month!!! I had to call Cannondale and they then called the dealer back and got it resolved. Myself and the dealer were upset with this.

2. The dealer said the carbon stays were breaking up internanlly which would explain the shock main shaft wearing and Cannondale would not warranty the Fox Shock, so that went out to California to be rebuit be fox. When it came back the lockout was broken (it worked before) so it went back again. I did have to pay for the initial rebuild though.

3. My 2002 was yellow with a yellow headshock and guess what they had no yellow frames. I picked the 05 blue one and my dealer went to the extremes to strip and polish the old fork so the bike didn't look like an "Afterthought" when together.

All in all I was extremely happy with my dealer (Bryan's Bikes). He went above and beyond to help me out I would recomend him over any dealer in the area. He even gave me a loaner shock for the second rebuild. I could care less for Cannondale now and bought another brand after selling the rebuilt Scalpel.
    My advice to you would be call Cannondale and express you concerns. Speak to a madager if need be I had hard time keeping my cool with them but I did and it got resolve. If they would have done something about the fork or shock and not accused me of free riding I would have bought another Cannondale. O' well there loss. Good luck getting your bike back together.

Steve

Members who have read this thread: 0