mtbr member
    May 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Brand New F5, BB creaking

This happens during pedaling and it is scaring me that I made a bad purchase
    Cannondale F5 '10

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Good purchase, just take it back to the store and have everything checked out for any problems before anything is damaged and for piece of mind. Then get out and enjoy your new bike!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OK thanks man. Ive asked around on this forum and I got alot of the same anwsers. Ill go to my LBS tomorrow and get it looked at. Thanks man.
    Cannondale F5 '10

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    maybe a little lube needed around the pedals area.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I already did that and nothing happened.
    Cannondale F5 '10

siv
    mtbr member
    Thread tape on the pedal axle is the first and cheapest place I start, always.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Im going to get it checked out by my lbs.
    Cannondale F5 '10

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    All will be fine after the shop checks everything out. The F5 is a great bike, I almost bought one but got an F3 instead and I love it! Don't worry as some shops assemble/tune new bikes with a little more carefulness than others. Four friends bought Giant bikes this year and 3 of 4 dropped the chain onto the bottom bracket first time out due to poor derailure adjustments. Doesn't mean the bikes are junk, just poorly set up at the shop. Too bad as the new riders were disappointed in each case but they are over it now and out enjoying their new bikes, just not as much as we are with our Cdales, right? Hang in there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I have a new F5 BB creaks too

I had the misforture of having mine submerged in a stream on my 3rd day with it. after that I noticed it making noise, and even having a slight shift in my crankset. I went to bike shop with mine and it was "behaving" they looked at it and said it was in spec. but I purchased crank removal tool and BB tool. When I got home I pulled it apart, cleaned off parts, they were a litttle loose,and a dirty. little grease on parts/threads (bearings sealed) and put all back together very very tight. worked great for a long time.. until I went through a deep stream again.. starting to notice creak. will clean before next ride.
    may just by XT shimano parts, replace that FSA junk.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think I found out the reason for mine to be squeaking. The stock pedals that come on this bike a crap. I think its because they aren't sealed bearing and I need something that is. Im looking at some of the cheaper level crank brothers pedals. I like the acid and the mallet because I could use them as normal pedals if I just wanted to go run and do something. It would also be my firs set of clip less (I know I will need shoes too)
    Cannondale F5 '10

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    That's great if you found your creaking problem to not be the bike itself but rather a cheap component most bikers change right away. Now get out and enjoy your new bike!