mtbr member
    May 2007

Brakedive of 2011 PBR 100mm lefty. 88 tune?

Hi,

I have been riding my lefty for a couple of months now. I have played around with pressure, using the recommended sag from Cannondale.

The problem is, that if I use pressure around 90-95 psi the lefty is very compliant and sucks up large and small roots nicely. But using this pressure the fork moves brake dives a lot and moves very much during pedaling. Right now I use this pressure on longer slower rides.

If I use around 105-110 psi the fork only brake dives very little and doesnīt move to much when Iīm standing up and pedaling. But the forks becomes less compliant and doesn`t suck roots and rock to well. I use this pressure during intervals and racing as I feels it helps to save energy and makes me go faster when going upwards and pedaling on fireroads.

So my question is if I can combines the small bump compliance with the fork being a bit more stiff in the early part of the 100mm travel. I have heard people changing the oil to thicker oil. Another possibility is to send the fork to Eighty Aid and get a Team Tuning. Do any of you have any experience with this? Or to you have any other suggestions for minimizing brake dive and fork movement when pedaling standing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRathleff83 View Post
    Hi,

I have been riding my lefty for a couple of months now. I have played around with pressure, using the recommended sag from Cannondale.

The problem is, that if I use pressure around 90-95 psi the lefty is very compliant and sucks up large and small roots nicely. But using this pressure the fork moves brake dives a lot and moves very much during pedaling. Right now I use this pressure on longer slower rides.

If I use around 105-110 psi the fork only brake dives very little and doesnīt move to much when Iīm standing up and pedaling. But the forks becomes less compliant and doesn`t suck roots and rock to well. I use this pressure during intervals and racing as I feels it helps to save energy and makes me go faster when going upwards and pedaling on fireroads.

So my question is if I can combines the small bump compliance with the fork being a bit more stiff in the early part of the 100mm travel. I have heard people changing the oil to thicker oil. Another possibility is to send the fork to Eighty Aid and get a Team Tuning. Do any of you have any experience with this? Or to you have any other suggestions for minimizing brake dive and fork movement when pedaling standing?
    Have you tried adjusting your rebound? My experience is the faster rebound seems to eliminate brake dive. It allows the fork to return quicker.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    You can go to a different low speed compression tuning "puck" but know that it will definitely impact the small bump compliance as well.

There's 4 tuning levels, and the forks come stock with the most "open" of them.

No give without some take, sadly....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRathleff83 View Post
    Another possibility is to send the fork to Eighty Aid and get a Team Tuning
    No, send it to Mendon Cyclesmith. He is the Lefty GOD. Has helped me many times. My teammate has been sending his Leftys to him for years. I have not had to yet because mine is less than a year old.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    how exactly do you do that. I assume you have to order the different size puck?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have 2009 130 PBR and got an Solo Air Upgrade Kit,- Brake Dive gone. You have 2011, so I do not know if this applies to your fork

.http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/20...ch_note_en.pdf

Good luck

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by olegbabich View Post
    I have 2009 130 PBR and got an Solo Air Upgrade Kit,- Brake Dive gone. You have 2011, so I do not know if this applies to your fork

.http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/20...ch_note_en.pdf

Good luck
    2011's already have that.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V