mtbr member

Brake Upgrade on Jekyll 3000

So, I love my Hayes Mags, but unfortunately they are beginning to show their age! I am deciding between the Shimano 970 XTR's or the Avid Juicy Ultimates, I'm about 68kgs (150lbs). At the moment the big pros for the XTR's are that they are great to bleed and I can use mineral oil (which I have heaps of for my older dual controls on another bike and isn't corrosive). Word on the street is however that the Avids are more powerful?
    So the question is which are better and why? I can get them both for very close $$$ so the price isn't a factor. Thanks!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I like shimanos for the very same reasons you pointed.... at your weight..most brakes with 160mm rotors should be strong enough... (you could go for a 180mm front if you want to make sure you have gobs of power)

mtbr member
    Yeah I doubt the power will be a problem, but that really is the only downside I've ever heard about them. I guess another concern is the IS mounting on the XTR, it isn't as easy to get centered as the Avids will be, but I don't think that's a major deal, once it set up I hope I wont have to adjust it much, my 960's have required almost no moving around since they went on.
    I posted a while ago on the brake forum and it was really 50/50, however no one had anything BAD to say about the XTR's but nothing absolutely fantastic either, on the other hand the Avids where either great or people HATED them!! never ending problems. So this is why I'm posting here, I know how to set up brakes and I really want the best I can get. Oh and I'm open to other suggestions, Magura Marta SL anyone?? I just thought these 2 where the pick. Thanks!

just get the PM XTR calipers and use adapters...weight increases a bit...but they are easier to adjust

Martas are nice but I would not go for the SL, they are a lot more expensive than the "plain" Martas and the only difference is the carbon levers (and about 8 grams)

mtbr member
    Ok, you say the martas are nice, but are they better than the XTR or the Ultimates?

Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    Ok, you say the martas are nice, but are they better than the XTR or the Ultimates?
    at that level..all of them are good.. my buddy rides Martas..and I ride XTs...both are great brakes... at this level..I find it is a matter of taste/features mostly...