Thread: Brake issue

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Brake issue

I took the front wheel off my Flash 2 to change out my tire. I know you can do it without (love the Lefty) but wanted to do it for the practice. Anyway when I put the front derailer back on I get some light rubbing sound in the brakes. I don't know if I messed up the adjustment or if some sand etc got in between the pads. Any insights?

Should I just pull them off again and blow them out with compressed air? Are there any other ways to clean them up? The noise isn't consistent but occurs at the same spot on the disks.

Also does anyone have a link for adjustment procedures? I am a total newbie working on the bike....

Thanks

Helmetless Crasher
    I assume you mean the front CALIPER. Disc brake adjustment sux. I hate it. Maybe I just suck at it - so take my advice for whatever its worth.

Anyway, basically you just loosen the caliper bolts (the ones that mount the caliper to the caliper bracket, NOT the ones that mount the bracket to the Lefty). Loosen the bolts so that the caliper can easily be moved from side to side a few mm's with your hand. Then squeeze the brake lever and hold it squeezed. While holding it squeezed, tighten the caliper bolts.

Theoretically, that should center the rotor between the brake pads. If it does, great - you are done! In my experience, it rarely does, however. Spin the wheel and listen for rub.

If you still have rub, you can likely look at the caliper from the top and see which pad is rubbing the disc. Then adjust the caliper towards the other side just a smidge by loosening the bolts and moving it over a mm at a time until the rub is gone. You may grow a long beard while doing this repeatedly in your effort to get zero rub.

Sometimes you get grit in the pads. If this is the case, you prolly need to pull the pads and pick-out any grit and/or gently sand the pads by placing some sand paper on a flat surface and sliding the pads around on the paper in a figure-8 type motion. Then replace and adjust as stated above. Full braking power will not return until you have re-bedded the pads (10-40 stops, depending on the set-up).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Squeezing the brake lever just once may work, but I have had better luck by doing it multiple times to make sure that the caliper centers itself perfectly. Don't forget to hold the lever good and tight while snugging up the caliper brake bolts too.

If you still have problems, you may need to adjust the pads with the proper spacer. I found that online somewhere on Avid's site. You didn't say what brand of brakes you had however. The document for Avid brakes is here: AVID hydraulic-brake-setup. The PDF file has the procedure under "Advancing the Pad Position". I think it works if the pads are too far advanced too, as they would be if you replaced worn out pads with new ones.

You may also have a slightly bent disc rotor. You can gently coax it back into true by hand, at least I could on my Rize.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Caliper (duh) that's what I get for rushing

The brakes are Shimano. Thanks for the adjustment tips. I will give it a try. I do think I messed up the adjustment as I loosened the adjustment bolts by accident. I read a post that described the process to take off the wheel and I thought the highlighted the bolts (adjustment) and said to loosen the bolts, but for mine I have to take the bolts totally out to move the caliper off the disk.

I don't think I have a bent disk (bike very new) as there was no rub etc before I removed the wheel.

Thanks again, I am going to go give it a try