mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Brake choices for a lefty with 4 bolt hub

I'm building my own bike with an Optimo frame and a Lefty fork and a Coda 4 bolt hub. What kind of brake choices do I have? I would really like Hope Mini Mono or the Avid Juicy brakes in the 180mm size. Can I go this large with the lefty slotted brake mounts? Is this possible? I got a great deal on the wheelset, so for now, I'm stuck with a 4 bolt rotor. Who makes compatible 4 bolt rotors?

Thanks,
    Jeepguy

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepguy
    I'm building my own bike with an Optimo frame and a Lefty fork and a Coda 4 bolt hub. What kind of brake choices do I have? I would really like Hope Mini Mono or the Avid Juicy brakes in the 180mm size. Can I go this large with the lefty slotted brake mounts? Is this possible? I got a great deal on the wheelset, so for now, I'm stuck with a 4 bolt rotor. Who makes compatible 4 bolt rotors?

Thanks,
    Jeepguy
    As far as I know, only Magura and Hayes make a 4 bolt rotor.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Ride on ... eh!

Swap the hub....

... for one that is compatible with a Lefty. The more recent C'dales have been coming with the standard 6 bolt hubs with Hayes brakes..... I think since 02. The previous Leftys came with the CODA hub and the 4 bolt rotors.
    You might talk to your LBS and see if they can order the hub for the Lefty that is compatible with the standard rotors.... then you can use those great Hopes!
    I just looked at mine and there is no part number on it .... definitely 6 bolts, but it just says "Cannondale Competition" on one side and "System Integration" on the other. I would expect that it is compatible on the end of the Lefty.
    Good Luck.

Are you talking to me?

Here you go.

Cannondale and Woodman (The Woodman hub is sweet) are making 6 bolt hubs now. You can get 6 bolt hubs. As for 4 bolt, Hayes and Magura. However, All of the Lefty's (Other than the MAX and JAKE) have a maximum rotor size of 6", just so you know. The Max and Jake are rated for 8" rotors, and the boots are tapered to handle the 8" rotors.
    gfy

mtbr member

Hope had 4 bolts rotors

I upgraded my Raven with Hope Mini a couple of years ago. The brakes are awsome (beside some squealing), and I tossed my Cannondale Coda crap as far as I could...

DC

mtbr member

Avid Mech

a great upgrade is the woodman hub, as damion stated! www.woodmancomponents.com
    I love mine, but before i got it i used avid mech brakes (with speed dial 7 levers; great adjustability) you can use the stock coda rotors with the avid's. a friend of mine got hope mini's on his lefty (2 years ago) he called hope and they sent him some 4 bolt rotors that worked perfect for him, and the brakes are great.

Just my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]