mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bought Jekyll 400..problem already.

So, I spend weeks researching and test riding to get my first FS bike and settle on the Jekyll 400 on Saturday. I take her out yesterday for a spin on the road and after 30 yds or so I go to switch the front gears and nothing. I look down and all the slack is out on the cable. Appears that my shifter has broken on the first try!!!

Is that some shiz or what? Now I feel like my decision is doomed.

I feel like I should just return the bike and stick with my current hardtail.

Anyone else have troubles with their Jekyll 400?

Ride on ... eh!

Shifter problems....

.... first time out is a bummer!
    However, the Jekyll is a great ride!
    Don't let the fact that the shop wrench forgot to tighten a cable clamp or something put a damper on your new purchase. If it is really broken, it is covered under warranty.
    Besides that, the fact that it happened on the first ride only 30 yds out means that you should be able to parlay this into some free swag at the shop...

"..... like dude, you didn't set that up right.... like I coulda killd myself .... eh!!...." (the last part is the Canadian content!)

Get it all fixed up, check the bike over yourself with a fine-toothed comb, and then go have a good long ride and then let us all know what the bike is like on the trails...

Good Luck .... eh!

aka Willy Vanilly
    Before you give up on the bike try a couple things:

Make sure there isn't an excessive amount of drag in the front derailleur cable (that could be caused by a poorly cut housing end, super sharp housing bends, a cable stop with a burr, etc)

Check over the low limit on your front derailleur. If that screw is too far in it won't allow the derailleur to move in far enough to shift down (and would also cause the cable slack)

Or just take it back to the shop you bought it at. They should be more than happy to set you right.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't think you can blame that on the bike, that same model Shimano shifter that broke could have been put on another brand bike and the same thing happem. That's only a component problem (and even more likely whoever put it together's fault) I have a Jekyll 800 and love it. Get your shifter fixed and give it another try.