mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bought a 2008 F4, with knackered headshoks

Hi, I've browsed this site in the past and recently, but having now purchased a 2nd hand F4, thought it was about time I joined.

the F4 I purchased isn't perfect, it was cheap and had sat a while before I got my hands on it, everything works fine and smoothly, but it is definitely worth me putting it in for a service before any real use. The only thing that didn't work was the headshok super fatty ultra DL80 shocks, they were collapsed. Anyhow after researching on here I bought myself a pump and pumped up the shocks, to my amazement, they pumped up and appeared to work ok, and the lockout worked too, they were a little soft, so I pumped up a little more (100psi) and they seem fine. However I did notice on the forks after the small test ride after pumping them up, some oil looked like it had leaked out from the bottom of the rubber boot. I don't really want to pay out for a complete overhaul right now, I think I would rather buy some cheaper second hand forks.

My main question is, is this likely to be a seal that I can replace without a full overhaul? I am quite mechanically minded with other things, but haven't had any experience with bikes since I was a teenager about 16 years ago!!

here are a couple of pictures of my cheap purchase....

Bought a 2008 F4, with knackered headshoks-image.jpgBought a 2008 F4, with knackered headshoks-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    good purchase!

in brief,

the headshok will probably require a service a some point, but don't **** yourself just yet.

regarding the oil loss - if you lock it out and there is movement under applied pressure it will mean the cartridge will require a service. with the correct tools, (qwertycycles.co.uk), a cartridge service is not too difficult if you are handy. also, your good if the bearings and races are smooth, you can check those by releasing the air and pulling/pushing through full travel - remove the boot give them some grease.

you'll find lots of good info and support on here.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey thanks for the advise, I've just been watching some YouTube videos, about changing the o rings and refilling the oil, it all looks fairly straight forward, I just want to make sure I've bought all the correct tools ready before I do it.

I hadn't realised that the lockout on these were supposed to be 100% so as you say there is some play. Travel is full with no air, but certainly will have the boot off.

Any recommendations on oil to use, and list of the tools required, I'm not sure on this castle tool, and I don't fancy using 90 degree needle nose pliers like the YouTube video!!

Thanks again

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Great bike... have one myself same color. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Skene, I'm looking forward to having it all serviced ready.

I've sourced the parts needed and ordered for the cartridge service, all accept the castle tool, surely somewhere else does the same size? Are they just 1.5" standard castle fitment?

The guy in the YouTube video done it with long nose 90 degree pliers, I may give it a go as looked fairly easy if you're careful! :-/ I've been following this video as a guide, I understand it's not too different, mine just doesn't have the damping adjuster. Cannondale Headshok Fork Rebuild Part 1: F600 Mountain Bike Example - YouTube I've seen this video posted a few times on this forum.

Only thing left to buy is the Oil and Grease, any particular preferences from people on here?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Your just asking for trouble if you use a pliers and it slips.. not only will you mangle the top of the cartridge at the castle tool interface and possibly never the thing out as a result.. but you could also (more than likely) scratch the damper shaft.. you'll end up with oil leaks and spending a whole lot more money in order to put it right.. a lot more than the cost of the right tool..

For piece of mind & the sake of a few quid just invest in the right tool for the job... its the super castle tool.. you'll have the cartridge out in no time with no chance of damaging anything..

SuperCastletool Fatty Lefty - Dr. Cannondale

Stock oil for the cartridge is 5w
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Oh brilliant, I originally had every intention of buying the correct tool, but could not source the 100% right one, that link is a great help I will get it ordered thanks