WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!

Blew up the Lefty.

Yesterday at Big Bear (in So Cal), after a fantastic run down Summit, me and a few friends were riding over to Pirates of the Carribean when I noticed something seemed a bit wrong. Fork had basically do damping whatsover, and horrible a top out clank. The top 1/2" of the titanium spindle/lower section of the fork just below the bottom zip tie of the boot was wet with an oily substance.

These symptoms strike me as a blown-out damper cartridge, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with the innards of the Lefty so I'm waiting to see what Supergo's mechanic says.

I've never really liked the damping adjustment on my Lefty, the knob was very nonlinear, in that it didn't seem to do much until the last 90-180 degrees. (Knob will turn about 5 times), and in the last 90-180 degrees it quickly added way too much damping. So perhaps my fork was a lemon from the start.

Anyway, this is a Lefty DLR off an '03 Jekyll 1000 w/ Titanium spindle. Bike is 3 months old and has 282 miles on it, 100 of them at Snow Summit.

Oh, and one more item...does it hurt these things to run them without damping? Being at the top of the hill at Snow Summit there was only one way to get back to the parking lot (I did take it real easy on that run though).

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    This is a blown damper cartrdige, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

Wow.

The Lefty DLR on my Jekyll never did that. Sounds like you blew the damper, all right. A rebuild is in order. Why wait? Cannondale will work with you directly.
    gfy

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    The Lefty DLR on my Jekyll never did that. Sounds like you blew the damper, all right. A rebuild is in order. Why wait? Cannondale will work with you directly.
    Per c'dale's suggestion, it's at the LBS (supergo f.v.) right now... I wasn't thinking of continuing to ride it, just was hoping I didn't hurt it getting back to the truck.

Glad to hear you haven't had the problem, as I'm really hoping it won't happen again ... I'm quite happy with the fork otherwise.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Skygrounder - I've got a couple of ideas on why it might have happened - most of them involve something coming undone rather than 'blowing out'. The main rod through the cartridge on my lefty ELO 'came undone' for example.

Can you please confirm your brake setup - is that a marta on an adapter with a louise FR rotor? How does it compare to the regular marta and exactly which adapter is it? Did the bike come that way or is it your mod?

nick

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasc
    Skygrounder - I've got a couple of ideas on why it might have happened - most of them involve something coming undone rather than 'blowing out'. The main rod through the cartridge on my lefty ELO 'came undone' for example.

Can you please confirm your brake setup - is that a marta on an adapter with a louise FR rotor? How does it compare to the regular marta and exactly which adapter is it? Did the bike come that way or is it your mod?

nick
    Yup, I just a got a call from the warranty guy at Supergo....it's all fixed. (24 hours later...I'll go pick it up in a few hours....I'm totally stoked!)

Apparently a nylon washer was crooked such that the thing must have been leaking since brand new. I was lately futzing with the damping thinking something was wrong....must have gotten it to a critical point with Sunday's Snow Summit ride (put on 20 miles of DH runs).

The setup is exactly what you said, a Louise FR 180mm rotor with the stock Marta caliper on an adapter. I ordered it from Magura, I think it was $80 or $90 shipped but I'm not sure. My brother did the same mod and posted a thread on it here. Just call Magura @ 800.448.3876 and tell them what fork you have, and they'll hook you right up. I'd definitely do it again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks - not quite so easy to call magura - I'm down under, but I used to post on the magura forum before they stuffed it up, so I'll send him a note.