mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Blew out my Headshok. HELP!!!

I blew out my headshok riding today. It's the Super Fatty Ultra DL on a 2007 F4. It has around 700 trail miles and maybe 75 road miIes. think it was maybe a 1 foot drop on a downhill, but I'm not positive. At Wissahickon, for any philly area riders.

I put the lockout on to try and finish my ride, but that did nothing. I ended up riding about 7 miles with it fully compressed. Not fun.

So, any idea what I am looking at for repair? I'm planning on taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I know these aren't a lot of details, but any ideas what I'm looking at as far as time/cost of repair? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ah good ol Valley Green. I miss it. I used to live in an aptartment that backed up to the park and rode almost every day. Sucks to hear about your fork. I have no idea what that could be I just wanted to reminisce about Wissahickon and I am sure a lefty expert like MondonCycleSmith will chime in soon.
    From my limited google searching just now others have had this experience and it was the air cartridge inside that will need repair replacement. There was a recall or something on the air cartridge, something about loctite needing to be put on something inside. I will look for the TSB on the Cannondale site for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    here it is...
    http://www.cannondale.com/tech_cente.../headshok.html
    go here and look down near the bottom the title is "2007 Headshok DL80 DLR80 Air Cylinder Repair Technote"
    It wasn't the loctite issue, that must have been a lefty problem I was thinking about.

check out the irony... my post count is 88... the same number of needle bearings in a headshok and lefty... must be a sign for me to buy another bike!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I can only speculate what happened, but I'd guess your seals were getting a bit flattened, and the drop you did, forced the air past them. If your lockout was fully functioning until that moment too? No idea. They usually kinda go slowly, developing a bit of play at the top for awhile, then get worse.

I'd be lying if I told you what it would cost exactly, but Cannondale typically rebuilds the fork completely as in, all new races, bearing, boot, seals oil, etc, and the cost is generally north of $100, but don't quote me. My feeling has always been that this is a bit over the top, and a nice shiny smooth race, gives no cause for replacement, but that's just me, so my rates are generally a bit less because of that philosophy....

I'm sure your LBS will be able to get you a better price quote, as they tend far more forks to Cannondale than I do
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com