Thread: Bike Decision

mtbr member

Bike Decision

Newbie here. I'm trying to decide on a bike purchase. My last rig was destroyed in a bike vs. auto and is no longer viable. I am 6'4 and 190lbs. Mostly xc, endurance type riding, 40 yrs old. I have narrowed my choices to a Niner rip 29 or the Cannondale Rush 3 Carbon (new 2007, Extra Large) Any suggestions? Price is not the issue, I simply want a good bike that will give me more than a couple years of great rides. Any comments will be appreciated.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ride them both, then decide. I think you will like the Niner's climbing ability, over the Rush. Although the Rush 3 Carbon is an excellent enduro-type ride. However, I am unfairly biased towards the Cannondale- only because their construction and build quality will always reignite your passion for the sport.......every time you hop on that saddle.

mtbr member
    Planning to ride both today. I have read every post I could find on both and was hoping for a little more input. Thanks for taking th time. Should have a new ride by tonight.

LA CHÈVRE
    Two + for the Rush IMO: the Lefty and the rear suspension of the Niner, while maybe working and feeling great, has more pivots to take care of, especially that lower link that will eat mud everyday.

But yes, try both, then all we could say might not be much if one feels way better than other to you, one being a 26" single pivot bike and the other a VPP type 29er, I'm guessing they will have very different feel... I suspect the Rush will feel stiffer, more precise and accelerate faster with the smaller and lighter wheels, while the Niner will probably feel more like a trail bike that can roll over anything but less racy...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Took the plunge!

Got the Rush 3. Liked the Niner, but didn't feel right. I've been on 26 inch wheels for almost 20 years, just seems right. The frame on the Carbon is amazingly tight. Might just be infatuation. Can't wait to hit a good long trail. I'm coming off an X-Large proflex that I've had for years- Anything has got to be better.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Good purchase. BTW- which "desert" are you from? I'm in the Southern CA low desert. Let us know what progresses with the new bike.

mtbr member
    Grew up In Southern Utah. Currently live in Salt Lake City. Get down to Moab as often as possible. I do the White rim trail several times a year. Love the long cross country rides.