mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Is this bike damage unsafe

This is my first message here so hello everyone!
    I'm posting for a friend of mine (the bike specs are his). A co-worker of his dropped something really heavy on his bike and dented his bike's frame. Is his bike unsafe to ride?

The dent is smooth with no sharp edges right by the "AA" letters.

R700 CAAD 8

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Once Al gets a weak point, it does not retain too much of it's strength. Since bike frames as made as light as possible, meaning thin wall tubes, any compromise can be a problem.

Is it safe? I would say no. However, if he does ride it and it fails, it will likely bend a bit first. It probably won't just collapse and send him over the bars.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 07-16-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Ricky- It is not worth the chance of a serious injury-advise your friend not to ride.

mtbr member
    I suggest riding the bike off a dock.
    (no-it's not safe to ride...the frame is trashed)
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    well at least you could save the components and just buy a new frame rather then a whole new bike
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdm362
    well at least you could save the components and just buy a new frame rather then a whole new bike
    To build on that (good) thought, would he still qualify for one of the frame trade-in programs from Cannondale? Obviously not a warranty deal, but for the regular frame/fork trade in deals does the frame have to be perfect? Any $$ saved would be better than none.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

banned
    check if cannondale will give him a credit for a crash replacement. They'll probably feel pity on him for the mishap and give a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like a top tube right, I say stop riding it at once!

Alu. tubing doesn't bent like a steel tube , it just snap and if it does , it may go right into your chest ! that will make a messy ride I tell you.

If the dent is on the lower part of the bike , chain stay or near the bottom , it may only cause an embrassing crash instead of a fatal one , but on the top tube , I wouldn't take that chance.

El Pollo Diablo
    as long as his co-worker does the right thing and steps up to replace the frame, he's golden...
    but for sure he shouldn't ride on that.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky75
    A co-worker of his dropped something really heavy on his bike and dented his bike's frame.
    :O not a very nice co-worker...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    To build on that (good) thought, would he still qualify for one of the frame trade-in programs from Cannondale? Obviously not a warranty deal, but for the regular frame/fork trade in deals does the frame have to be perfect? Any $$ saved would be better than none.

What is the frame trade in program? I have an old road frame I'd like to trade

mtbr member
    Regarding the frame trade program,
    This is from an email I got from Heather at Cannondale, when I asked them about the headshock on my old delta V:

" We do offer an Aftermarket Exchange Program where one can trade in their current Cannondale frame and/or fork for a new frame and/or fork at a reduced retail. Your local Cannondale Retailer can provide further information on this program. The Find a Dealer link on our website www.cannondale.com can help you to find a Cannondale Retailer near you. We hope that the attachments will be helpful to you."

Search around here if you want more info, or talk to your LBS.
    In general, the deals are less that stellar from what I gather. Works out good if you have lots of components lying around that will fit the new frame, but if you end up having to buy a lot of components, it quickly becomes cheaper to buy a full new bike.
    That's my impression anyway, based on what I've heard from others.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)