IdontShootPeopleAnyMore

biggest tire size for lefty max 140

I have been searching and havent really found the answers I am looking for...

I recently took off my front tire and just to see if it would fit I put on a second hand old 2.5 trailbear and wow there was room to breathe... alot more than I thought actually...

I am wondering if a 2.5 nevegal would fit... I really like nevegals and am a big fan of the bigger the better...

for info the rim is a mavic xm117 (559 x 17) and the fork is a leftymax 140 (on a L prophet)

I was just wondering what the biggest tires you guys run on your lefties are???

thanks!!!
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I think Mavic advises a width of 1.50 to 2.30 for the XM 117's, But I run the Maxxis Ignitors 2.35 and Conty Pro-Gravity that are 2.30.

Moe
    <--Thats Me
    Cdale Flash 29er Carbon 3
    Cdale Flash 29er 2
    Cdale Scalpel Lefty
    Cdale Rush Lefty (2)
    Roots
    Rocks
    Raggae

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    so what happens if i run a tire that is .2 of an inch over the 'recommended' width? I did it today for 2 hours of singletrack and they were fine...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you run a tire that wide on a rim that narrow, it changes the profile of the tire significantly since it's being pinched so tightly by the rim. If you are a fan of bigger is better, you should get some wider hoops. Wider rims will pinch a tire less so that it's wider than if the same tire was mounted on a narrower rim. If you're on a budget, it's tough to beat the Ryno Lite rims for the $$$. About $30 brand new.

Chances are that if you really need a 2.5 tire, you're going to annihilate those 117s soon anyway. The 117s on my prophet lasted all of 2 rides before imploding. It's a crap rim if you're trying to do drops or hit rock gardens with any speed. Then again, my Prophet didn't last too long either. I had to sell it after it ate 9 rear derailleurs in 2 months.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    jd1072--- i do plan on upgrading the stock xm117's in the future but not having a job has kind of put them on the back burner... I had my eyes on a few sets but am holding out for most probably a xm819 hopepro2 combo but I want to run these suckers into the ground first... most of the terrain in my area is east coast singletrack; advanced albeit but im not doing any drops more than 2 feet... (not doing any till it dries up a little more)

any I don't really need a 2.5 i just think that at 210 geared up it helps to have as much volume as possible... ill take traction over speed anyday

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think a 2.5 negeval will fit, but it won't run right with a 17 mm rim. You would need a 21 mm rim for it not to be a rounded bubble tire. I ran a 2.35 Negeval on my ST Lefty wheel (19 mm). It was ok and had plenty of clearance.

I ran a 2.4 Nobby Nic on my ST wheel and it fit the lefty, but was a little rounded. It would have been better on a 21 mm rim.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    yea come to think of it the 2.5 trailbear on the 17mm looks pretty round...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I've been running a pair of syncros BHT2's on my XM117 rims for a couple seasons now. They're 2.35 and I haven't had any issues with the profile. I had them on my Gemini for a while and they look the same on both sets of rims.... I'd get a 2.35 Nevegal to run on the XM117's until you can afford to replace them, A bit wider tire, and hard to flat out with them ( I've never had an issue when I ran them, and I'm no lightweight....).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the owners manoal I remember said 2.35 is max for MAX

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    the owners manoal I remember said 2.35 is max for MAX
    Everyone, check this guy out............he actually read the manual!!!!!!

Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Everyone, check this guy out............he actually read the manual!!!!!!

What's a manual?

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr