mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Best year model Lefty

I have a 2007 cannondale F3 with a headshok, I am interested in getting a Lefty, how much better is it compared to the headshok, in performance & reliability? Is it just for the racer? How is maintenance? Is it really worth all that extra dough? If so what is the best year and model Lefty and is buying a use one the way to go?
    2007 Cannondale F3

mtbr member
    2011+ is by far the best. The lockout mechanism was changed starting in 2011 so it's way easier to remove the top cap for resetting migrated bearings.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    And interesting, the PBR is the lightest and cheapest option

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You don't have to go new. If you find a used one, like a 2010, you can have it upgraded for a reasonable amount depending on what's needed at mendoncyclesmith.com.

I did my 2006 Lefty Max TPC to the 2011 PBR set up for $320 or so. You can add a remote lockout too if you want.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You don't have to go new. If you find a used one, like a 2010, you can have it upgraded for a reasonable amount depending on what's needed at mendoncyclesmith.com.

I did my 2006 Lefty Max TPC to the 2011 PBR set up for $320 or so. You can add a remote lockout too if you want.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    On the same topic: I have a brand new 2010 Carbon Max PBR that I bought for a build that is slowly materializing. Is it worth upgrading to the 2011 internals without even using the current ones? What exactly will I gain from the upgrade? Will it be noticeable while on the trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    On the same topic: I have a brand new 2010 Carbon Max PBR that I bought for a build that is slowly materializing. Is it worth upgrading to the 2011 internals without even using the current ones? What exactly will I gain from the upgrade? Will it be noticeable while on the trail?
    I don't see why you would want to upgrade perfectly fine brand new 2010 Max PBR. I don't see how this new 2011 XLR Lefty has significantly better ride qualities. And I'm wondering, why would anyone need a remote lockout control on lefty - pop lock button sits right by the handlebar and is easy to reach.
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    PBR is the WW's secret, everybody should cough up the dough for the XLR or for the XLR-upgrade, we will end up with a huge stack of new or nearly new PBR cartridges for not much money when needed.

If you ask me go for XLR ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    I don't see why you would want to upgrade perfectly fine brand new 2010 Max PBR. I don't see how this new 2011 XLR Lefty has significantly better ride qualities. And I'm wondering, why would anyone need a remote lockout control on lefty - pop lock button sits right by the handlebar and is easy to reach.
    That's what I'm thinking. I definitively don't need or want the XLR remote, but I am interested in the differences between the 2010 and 2011 Max PBR models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've had both the regular PBR and now have the remote. I know the PBR button is just "right there" but the remote is far better IMO... especially if you race. I'll never go back - and the ride does seem better :-)
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com