Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Best way to mount computer on lefty fork?

Help please. I bring home my new Scalpel with the lefty. I take my Cateye cordless off my current bike and walk over to mount it on the lefty. The fork is almost 3 inches around, but the magnet attaches by a wrap around strap that you tighten with a screw and not zip ties. The strap is way to short because the lefty is so big around. Plus where to mount anyway. From the wheel rim to below the disc rotor is the fork boot that moves up and down. Anybody ever mount on the rear wheel? Is that to far for cordless to be accurate? How do you mount the hardware on your lefty? Anybody think of any other solutions they use on their lefty? Thanks.

LA CHÈVRE
    Just do a search, there is already at least 57 threads about this...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have recently bought a prohet and have had lots of problems with the mounting of my cordless speado.

One rainy day I decided "I'm not going to leave this garage until I fix the F**k'n thing

My solution was to get an old piece of aluminum angle iron that just happened to be in the garage, cut it about 15mm wide (1/2inch), drill a hole in each face, and attach the sensor to one side (I also used a bit of glue) and attach the to whole thing to the upper brake mounting braket (allen bolt) attach the magnet to the spoke and it works perfectly.

cost about 5 cents and about one hour to make (I even painted it!!!)
    I can take photos if you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

i want picture

please post some pic. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Photos

I tried to "upload" photos but told photos where too big - maximum size 1024 x1024, and photos I tried to up load where 1280x960. means nothing to me Help!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Don't know what was wrong yesterday, but I kept geting system error message on search. Anyway it worked lats last night and I now have some good ideas to try this weekend. Hope you can get that picture up because it sounds like a pretty creative solution. Nice to know I wasn't the only person scratching their head over this one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

cordless

OK I think I have this picture thing nailed

As they say a picture paints a thousand words.

The angle iron is a small piece I already had cut down. The distance between the sensor and magnet is important but not critical because you can twist the magnet around the spoke to vary the distance between sensor and magnet. A bit of glue between the sensor and bracket, and hay presto a cordless speedo that now actually works!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sweet

Now that is a sharp idea. I may try the cord first with the magnet on the rotor, but if that doesn't work... Thanks for the picture!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dudly that's a great idea! Think I am going to give that a try.

Did you have to use a longer bolt?
    What guage/material was that metal?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks I can't believe how simple this is compared to some of the "manufactured" brackets. There was a thread on here recently that had a German bracket for 50 euros!!

The aluminium angle iron that I cut down is about 3mm thick. No I didn't use longer bolts (I assume you mean the bolt holding on the front brake. The bolt has a little locktite (sp) on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here.

Which brand of cordless speedo did you use. I cannot find one that works at the distance required by a lefty due to haviong to mount the sensor way low on the fork, vs a traditional mount which is much higher up the fork stanchion.

the_missile
    R.I.P 26ers....

Lucifer rides an mtb

Vetta wireless works w/ Lefty

I bought the Vetta wireless because of its ability to handle the distance of a Lefty shock... been in use for 2 years now without a problem. The install was very simple - two zip ties, which have not come loose since they were originally put on. My LBS mechanic did switch out the Vetta magnet for a Specialized, which was smaller and had a zip-tie mount that allowed him to mount it to the brake disk (as shown in the picture). My mechanic had been with the C'dale racing team and knows a ton about their bikes... told me this was the factory "approved" way of mounting a computer on a Lefty. The other examples I have seen on this site are probably just as good but I have no need to change since this setup has worked without a problem.

gmt
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good job! Here the Best way... for Lefty Computer

Hi ,
    here u can find the best solution (http://www.albertobikestore.ch/tech-shop/index.htm) :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

#1, cheap, kick a#@ lefty computer mount

Hi there, here's my newest discovery, get a Cateye SP-7 reflector mounting band (28.8 - 32.5mm), Quality Bicycle Products # RF1306, visit your LBS and ask for this, if they don't already have about six million lying in a box somewhere. Get the appropriate "L" bracket needed as if you were going to mount a reflector on your seatpost. The requisite screw, two zip ties, and you are in. Push the boot up gently on the bottom end of your lefty, just enough to make room for the band. Mount the L bracket pointing up, it has two holes in it, one for each ziptie hole in your sending unit. Superglue a high power magnet to your disc rotor, rock and roll.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

One small problem

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hi there, here's my newest discovery, get a Cateye SP-7 reflector mounting band (28.8 - 32.5mm), Quality Bicycle Products # RF1306, visit your LBS and ask for this, if they don't already have about six million lying in a box somewhere. Get the appropriate "L" bracket needed as if you were going to mount a reflector on your seatpost. The requisite screw, two zip ties, and you are in. Push the boot up gently on the bottom end of your lefty, just enough to make room for the band. Mount the L bracket pointing up, it has two holes in it, one for each ziptie hole in your sending unit. Superglue a high power magnet to your disc rotor, rock and roll.
    Oops, I combined to different generations of mounting in my head. The magnet on the rotor is not required with the Cateye clamp, as the pickup now sits high above the rotor, any appropriate spoke magnet will not work fine!

mtbr member
    I've logged a couple hundred miles with this set up. Simple, but it works.

I would like to devise a more rigid mount however. Something along the lines of what Dudley is using.
    This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules. -Walter Sobchak

mtbr member
    i thought i would post mine, it came out pretty cool i think. i cannibalized the clip part off a pen light i had, it already had the the hole for the screw, it was a little long so i just bent the excess backwards which will help keep it were it is supposed be, 2 zip ties to hold the sensor and presto! well just see how it holds up on the trails...thanks guys for the ideas...to see a bigger image just double click the pic...

mtbr member
    David, is there any concern with that bolt not being long enough or is it plenty long even with the extra layer from the pen light clip?
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

mtbr member
    the screw is kind of long and the metal piece is very thin, so i dont think it should be a problem at all.

mtbr member
    dudley thanks for the ideas as you can tell my setup is very similar to yours but i have a question. after doing this install my disc brakes rub very slightly i can hear it when i spin the wheel, i am not 100% sure if my brakes did this before the install, i am not too concerned its not bad at all but was wondering if you noticed this on yours and if it went away after a couple of rides, my bike is brand new maybe i need some time for stuff to settle...and one more question did you leave all the washers in there or did you take one out to be replaced by the piece of metal you made to hold the sensor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Oops, I combined to different generations of mounting in my head. The magnet on the rotor is not required with the Cateye clamp, as the pickup now sits high above the rotor, any appropriate spoke magnet will not work fine!
    you got a pic of your setup, i am sure it would help alot of folks to see it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Computer mounting

I left the washer on my set up, If you undo both mounting bolts (until the brake can just move), then apply the front brakes this will centralise the brake / brake pads and then just nip up both mounting bolts while the brake is still applied and bobs your uncle, done, no more rubbing.

mtbr member

Gps

I had a wireless model, but after it broke I bought the Foretrex 201 from Garmin. About the same size as a regular computer with way more features.

Tiger GPS sells them for $130, plus about $15 for the mounting bracket.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

J-B Weld and silicone

Five years ago I had a Raven with a Lefty and I did mine the same way as yours.

I siliconed the receiver to the fork and backed it up with electrical tape incase it ever broke loose.

I used a standard spoke magnet, grinded off the back side and used J-B weld to glue it to the rotor spoke.

It stuck for years until I sold the bike and it popped right off with pliers.

I'm sure people have figured allot of ways to mount a computer on a lefty. As long as it works and your happy that is all the matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    I bought the Vetta wireless because of its ability to handle the distance of a Lefty shock... been in use for 2 years now without a problem. The install was very simple - two zip ties, which have not come loose since they were originally put on. My LBS mechanic did switch out the Vetta magnet for a Specialized, which was smaller and had a zip-tie mount that allowed him to mount it to the brake disk (as shown in the picture). My mechanic had been with the C'dale racing team and knows a ton about their bikes... told me this was the factory "approved" way of mounting a computer on a Lefty. The other examples I have seen on this site are probably just as good but I have no need to change since this setup has worked without a problem.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GGAllen
    I've logged a couple hundred miles with this set up. Simple, but it works.

I would like to devise a more rigid mount however. Something along the lines of what Dudley is using.
    Hi, this is OT but what kind of bolts are you using for caliper mounting? They don't look like stock Hope bolts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast