Cars Are Evil

Best version of Lefty for 29er conversion?

I'm trying to figure out which version of Lefty I should get for a 29er conversion. I want as much travel as possible, and I need to be able to tune it for my size - 220lbs, 6'4".

What's the difference between TPC and PBR?

Cost is of course a factor, but I'm willing to pay for the good stuff if it makes a difference.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    how many travel do you want ?

is 80mm not enough ?

remember you are talking of a 29er not a 26"

how many frames want to replace hitting the main tube of frame with the front wheel ?

i have 2 bikes with SL carbon 110mm limited to 80mm one 2008 model one 2010 model

Cars Are Evil
    It'd be great if I can get 100mm like some folks have reported.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    since you want as much travel as possible, i'd recommend the 140mm max forks.

so, now that you want a 140mm fork, the following are available;
    140mm fox rlc
    140mm pbr (both carbon and alloy)
    140 max spv
    140mm max tpc
    140mm max ffd

the order above goes from most to least expensive. the rlc will offer lots f adjustments and lockout. the pbr had lockout but not so many adjustments and is air.

the spv has rebound adjustments and stable platform (no lockout) but i was not impressed by the one i had (travel seemed harsh). the spv should not be comfused with the terralogic stuff. the platform limits bobbing...it does not eliminate it.

the tpc offers a nice damper with adjustments, but no lockout. the fdd is a nice damper with only rebound adjust.

so, do you want lockout? do you want alloy or carbon?

all can be run with 29er wheels with some wrenching. i run a pbr 130 on my ti 29er ss (soon to be tallboy?) and it is a nice fork. i just sent it out to mendon though.

with most tires out there, you are going to have to reduce travel my 30mm. but, i found that if i a ran a rampage, then i could SAFELY get away with limiting travel by 20mm. i am a married guy with kids, so i am not going to put my self in harms way as far as the amount of travel goes...

tuning any of the forks above to your weight won't be a problem.

i guess it comes down to want you want/need.

do you trail ride and pedal seated? the tpc and ffd leftys will work fine. especially so if you are on a budget.

do you want lockout? ok, then you want coil or air? coil....go fox. air, go pbr.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Cars Are Evil
    Thanks for the detailed response Kam.

I definitely want lockout. Which of these has a blowoff for the lockout when you hit something? I really like how my Reba does that.
    I have my bike setup 1x3 so I want to be able to stand and crank.

Any advice on where to find good deals on them?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    I definitely want lockout. Which of these has a blowoff for the lockout when you hit something??
    The PBR 140's have that. Good luck getting a deal on one as they are 2010 stuff, however I, and many other retailers, would be happy to sell you one though

If you want lock out, that's it with platform, all other ones with lock will be solid, and only recent models, so not many smokin' cheap deals to be had. Figure 700+, most over a grand.

Personally, I love the older Max 140 TPC's. Just had my first nice dirt run of the season tonight, on one of those, set up 29, ti spring, TPC+ custom upgrade, carbon, soon to be travel management (but that's a whole other story.....) Yeah, I'm smiling.

I may have a carbon SPV 140 floating about, I'll take a look....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sweater
    The fox RLC has lockout as well, with blowoff threshold adjustment.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

Cars Are Evil
    Can all Lefties have their travel reduced for 29er use?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    with most tires out there, you are going to have to reduce travel my 30mm. but, i found that if i a ran a rampage, then i could SAFELY get away with limiting travel by 20mm. i am a married guy with kids, so i am not going to put my self in harms way as far as the amount of travel goes...
    So I would assume that a Maxxis Aspen would be safe to run with only two spacers in a Max 130 Carbon PBR? I ordered some spacers from MendonCycle. I intended to order 3 but only ordered 2 Would you say it would be safe to tear the thing apart and plan on it being ok with two? I don't want to pull it all apart, install 2, put it together and find that it won't work I'm using the Project321 steerer tube and a 27mm wide rim just in case that sways your opinion any. While I take full responsibility of the end situation, do you THINK it will work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    can a max rlc be reduced?
    the one with the fox internals and titan spring

thanks

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i have never ran an aspen, check shiggys website and check the tire height versus the rampage.

i tried the 20mm of spacers with a 2.0 fast trak and that was a no go, the fast trak has a high profile as well. same with the bonty 29-3 2.25 tire.

also, spacers are not hard to install....you don't even need the castle tool. on the pbr, just remove the rebound dial (allen key), the push bottom and the top cap (external bb tool)....maybe 1 minute work of work, to be honest.

lefty rlc....there are a few guys on the boad that are using the rlc on a 29er....i pm'ed them, but they were no help. they didn't bother to reply. either they had someone do the mod, or they just don't ride. or, maybe both.

i think that one would need to use the next heavier spring on the rlc, so you do not fly thru travel.....
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i have never ran an aspen, check shiggys website and check the tire height versus the rampage.

i tried the 20mm of spacers with a 2.0 fast trak and that was a no go, the fast trak has a high profile as well. same with the bonty 29-3 2.25 tire.
    I'm also using 27mm wide rims so that will help take the profile down a notch. I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see

I'm aware the spacers are easy to install, I've just never done it. The bike needed some other work done so I just had him do the spacers while it was in. It'll suck to pay to have the two put in and then do the third at home Oh well. Life goes on...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Did a quick search and the Rampage 29 has a 52.1mm casing height and the Aspen is APPROXIMATELY 48.0mm. As long as those numbers are +/-2mm at the most, it looks like I'll be fine