Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Best used C'dale FS?

Hi all, I am currently riding a '99 F3000 and would like to pick up a second bike. I mainly ride the trails near my house, but I'm planning on going to some parks with more aggressive trails this year. I don't have a Cannondale dealer nearby, so I don't really have any place to check the different models out. What full-suspension bike is best for mild-medium trails, mostly dirt/sand and some small drops? I have budget of $1k, and have seen several older Jekylls('02-04) on craigslist in my price range. Would this be a good bike? What model(600, 800, etc.) would give me equipment comparable to my circa '99 XTR F3000?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would recommend getting a Prophet. It's a more versatile bike and doesn't require an obsolete rear shock design. They can be had for $1000 or less for a lighter and newer bike than the Jekyll. Are you looking to build up a bike or buy a complete one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Second that.. I loved my Prophet. I only sold it when I ended up getting a deal on a RZ120 that I couldn't pass up.

Ridin' dirty!
    I 3rd that! You will be able to pick up a nicely spec'd Prophet for $1000.-
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Another vote for the Prophet, a great AM/trail bike

I would add that a good price on a clean low mile Jekyll might tempt me. One of my riding buddies has one, Fox recently serviced his shock for a modest fee, and MCS did the lefty (also for a modest fee). The bike rides like new.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I owned both the Jekyll and Prophet , finally decided to keep the prophet , it is a much stronger frame and it is truly do it all rig. The Jekyll is more of a XC/AM bike as Prophet are more like a AM/Freeride set up.

I rode my 07 Prophet hard for 4 years now , still holds up and ride in complete silent and smooth with nothing but the very min. maintenance for at these time

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ride my upgraded 05 Prophet and it still is a killer on rough twisty singletrack. I dont plan on ever selling it as it will become my spare when I buy the Claymore or the new Jekyl

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all of the replies!
    The main reason I asked about the Jekyll, is the fact that there seems to be so many for sale in the lower end of my budget. I have seen several 600s with leftys in the $500 range. I have yet to see a prophet for sale in my area. If it is that much better of a bike, I will keep my eyes open though. I didn't realize that the Jekyll shock was obsolete, I guess that takes it off the list.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The jekyll shock is a weird (one-off) mount, the problem lies in if your shock is too old and worn, getting a replacement other than another 2nd hand (potentially worn) one will be impossible. No doubt this is part of why there 2nd hand value is lower.
    Also being of an older age, it will probably need both shock & fork servicing, adding to your overall purchase cost....

I admit to being a Prophet owner, but even so again as above, I can only recommend buying one of these frame/bike instead and saving yourself a lot of potential heart ache.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    The jekyll shock is a weird (one-off) mount, the problem lies in if your shock is too old and worn, getting a replacement other than another 2nd hand (potentially worn) one will be impossible. No doubt this is part of why there 2nd hand value is lower.
    Also being of an older age, it will probably need both shock & fork servicing, adding to your overall purchase cost....

I admit to being a Prophet owner, but even so again as above, I can only recommend buying one of these frame/bike instead and saving yourself a lot of potential heart ache.
    While a replacement shock may be difficult to find, my friend sent his rear Jekyll shock directly to Fox, they repaired it (earlier this year) and it now works like new.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    FWIW, my uncle has an 04 Jekyll, he has NEVER had the rear shock serviced and it still performs very well to this day. He finally wore out the original headshok front fork and replaced it with a lefty.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I'm mostly gonna say what everyone else has been saying. Prophet. I got an '07 prophet 5 for 700 bucks!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What does everyone think of the Rush? It's basically a smaller travel version of the Prophet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Rush is great also.. back in 2006 I bought my first Rush, then traded for a Prophet a couple of years later, then ended up buying another Rush so I could have one of each! I sold them both for a RZ120 since it kind of splits the difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have seen several Rushes in my area for decent prices. I wonder if they might not be better for my purposes anyway. I am just getting started with riding, so I don't really even know what the difference between All Mountain, Free Ride, etc. is. The trails I ride are really mild, and I don't feel comfortable enough with my skill level at this point to try anything extreme. Since the Rush is lighter, faster and CHEAPER, I think this may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I have seen several Rushes in my area for decent prices. I wonder if they might not be better for my purposes anyway. I am just getting started with riding, so I don't really even know what the difference between All Mountain, Free Ride, etc. is. The trails I ride are really mild, and I don't feel comfortable enough with my skill level at this point to try anything extreme. Since the Rush is lighter, faster and CHEAPER, I think this may be the way to go.
    I think a Rush would be a great bike that you won't need to upgrade for quite awhile, if at all. The Prophet is a great bike, but overkill for a rider who's just starting out. The 110mm travel of the Rush is more than enough for mild to semi-wild trails.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    I think a Rush would be a great bike that you won't need to upgrade for quite awhile, if at all. The Prophet is a great bike, but overkill for a rider who's just starting out. The 110mm travel of the Rush is more than enough for mild to semi-wild trails.
    Agree, the Prophet will provide better travel but will be heavier. The Rush will be lighter and a bit more manuverable (especially in Carbon). Both are great options.

The other thing about either is you can go 650b if that ever gets your interest. I'd look around for a Rush Carbon frame. You can find them for under a grand and complete bikes for around $2K... here's one on Ebay 23lbs!

My 650b version of this with a 120mm Lefty weighs just a smidge over 25lbs.

Great bikes!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 10-24-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Aaaarrgghhh! Now I'm reading about Jekylls with a "Push" rear shock.... I'm really torn now, I want a bike with great components and light weight, I can get a NICE Lefty Jekyll for the same price as a Rush 7. Would a Jekyll with a Push rear shock be a great bike, or should I get a Rush and upgrade as I go?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Jekyll likely has a Fox Float R or RC, which has no propedal out of the box. Propedal technology eliminates most of the pedal induced 'bob' of the suspension and provides a better shock feel. The Rush likely has a FOX Float RP2 which has some Propedal built in, making the two shocks (pushed Float R/RC & Float RP2) similar in performance. I've not ridden a Push tuned shock, so I can't give a real world opinion, though I hear they are great.

Either bike would be great. Test ride each if possible.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Aaaarrgghhh! Now I'm reading about Jekylls with a "Push" rear shock.... I'm really torn now, I want a bike with great components and light weight, I can get a NICE Lefty Jekyll for the same price as a Rush 7. Would a Jekyll with a Push rear shock be a great bike, or should I get a Rush and upgrade as I go?
    Dude... don't know how much you're paying for that Jekyll, but if you snag this for $1600, you got an awesome deal!

Cannondale Rush Carbon Size Large | eBay
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post

Either bike would be great. Test ride each if possible.

True dat!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I dont know if u like the killer v,got one sitting around that doesnt have alot of road time.Its black with damping dial, and danger boy bars.SICK BIKE

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What would be the newest used prophet you could get for $1k in US?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just bought two Prophets for less than $1K... I have built up a Large Prophet w/ Lefty 140MM....650B up front....going 650B in rear as we speak (parts on the way). It's a STURDY/heavy machine. I have owned a bunch of Cannondales, also have a '09 Scalpel (Aluminum) with a 650B on the front....(one of the best XC bikes around no question).

Between the two of them the Prophet is substantially heavier (even with good components)...easily 10lbs heavier. If your local trails and riding style is XC go with the Rush (if you're looking to 650B front and back I think the 07 and older can be converted with no issues) or the Scalpel. If you want to a little slower climb with a fun downhill go Prophet all day. With the Prophet in XC mode it's still a beast to climb. The pedal bob isn't too bad with the stock shock that it came with but it's just heavy. The Rush is probably just between the Prophet and Scalpel in weight/feel.

I am building up the Prophet for my downhill urges.... For XC I may go 29er Scalpel but only after they build it with the true Scalpel rear suspension....until then it's a 650B-6er Scalpel for me.....one of the best rides I've ever owned (I've had three of them....going all the way back to the Headshock Fatty Ultra DL..fast/stiff bike...still miss it.).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the informative post, DirtyDuck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast