mtbr member
    May 2004

best tires for the jekyll

my stock continental tires are wearing out and looks like i'll need to buy new ones to replace them soon. i was just wondering if what other jekyll riders have on their bikes. im looking a for a good all around tire that has low rolling resistance so i don't fall behind the group on flat terrain and sturdy enough to go through average trails. thanks for the input.!

Are you talking to me?

here you go..

Quote Originally Posted by urayamu
    my stock continental tires are wearing out and looks like i'll need to buy new ones to replace them soon. i was just wondering if what other jekyll riders have on their bikes. im looking a for a good all around tire that has low rolling resistance so i don't fall behind the group on flat terrain and sturdy enough to go through average trails. thanks for the input.!
    IRC Mythos XC.
    gfy

mtbr member
    I second that you can't do better than the mythos 2.1's.

singletrail lover
    I do not have my beloved jekyll anymore. in the 3 1/2 yrs., My favorites:
    - conti explorer front / escape back: great grip in any occasion, wearing quickly. great for long marathons
    - schwalbe black jack: very low (you'll notice) rolling resistance on hardpack/street, cornering on gravel feels mushy, traction in dirt not the best
    - on UST rims, I used michelin wildgripper light s front / xl s back : great combination for marathons, light, but wearing rather quickly

mtbr member
    May 2004
    are the mythos tires good for the front as well as the back?

Quote Originally Posted by offpiste
    I do not have my beloved jekyll anymore. in the 3 1/2 yrs., My favorites:
    - conti explorer front / escape back: great grip in any occasion, wearing quickly. great for long marathons
    - schwalbe black jack: very low (you'll notice) rolling resistance on hardpack/street, cornering on gravel feels mushy, traction in dirt not the best
    - on UST rims, I used michelin wildgripper light s front / xl s back : great combination for marathons, light, but wearing rather quickly

Coors, the american beer.
    my buddy is running panaracer fire front and back on his and is satisfied with em.
    Another friend of mine is running the same setup on his 01 superlight and likes it too.

I ran panaracers on my old klein mantra, and am current running one on the back of my sc superlight and i cant stand em personally.

I would reccomend the mythos. I briefly rode some back in the day on my old trek 6000 hardtail and they were REALLY nice, i just am too lazy / cheap to get off these damn panaracers and get some decent tires.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    May 2004
    hmmm, i checked the mythos tire but this seems to confuse me:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...322&Store=Bike
    and
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...YjHfuUkERpkJig
    whats the difference between the two and which one should i get?

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Wow, all this talk of "best tire" and no mention of the terrain that you ride on???
    Where are you? What are your local trails like? Wet? Dry? Loose? Firm? Smooth? Rough? In my neck of the woods (loose/dry), I really like the WTB Mutano-Raptor 2.4 in front and Moto-Raptor 2.24 rear. Probably not a good wet/mud set-up though, and I'm sure there's lighter/faster tires out there for hard packed trails.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    May 2004
    reason why i didn't really specify the terrain i ride on is im lookig for an all-around tire that is fast yet handle some abuse. i'm based in maryland so i guess the terrain is wet and rooty for most trails here.

mtbr member
    I live in maryland and like the mythos, for the rocks and roots in the wet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop...2322&Store=Bike
    and
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop...aYjHfuUkERpkJig

anyone?

LA CHÈVRE
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop...2322&Store=Bike
    and
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop...aYjHfuUkERpkJig

anyone?
    Both links don't work for me right now... Check IRC's site: HERE

There is a front specific MythosXC and a rear specific MythosXC. There are also MythosXC II but never tried them, they look to be faster rolling. I currently have SeracXC on my bike and they perform well in most conditions, they roll faster than the Mythos, shed mud very well and have lots of grip.

Panaracer FireXCpros are good in 2.1 but don't get the 1.8, the small version is only good in hardpacked conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :