mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Best Chainring on the front? And Chainguide

Hi guys!

Yesterday I got my new prophet frame.

I want to ride a Rohloff Speedhub in this frame. Because of this, I only need one chainring in the front. I have one 32t and one 38t (nice Race Face) here. Which one would be better for pedalling without having the suspension bump around?

The other problem is that I have no ISCG mount, but want to ride a chainguide with a bashguard ( has to be an E13). Has anybody an idea which chainguide does fit (if we know then which chainring we use...)

I hope you understand what I mean - my English is not the best...

Thanks

Reno

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi,

is anything not clear? I know I wrote a bit confusing, but... my English skills are not that good.

Thanks
    reno

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoRulez
    Hi,

is anything not clear? I know I wrote a bit confusing, but... my English skills are not that good.

Thanks
    reno
    I would give it a bit more time...It is the weekend, maybe peopel are riding
    CDT

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep this place is slower on week-ends, I just came back from a nice ride. People don't mind spending time here during work hours, not during riding hours though.

If you only use one chainring, a singlespeed specific ring is the best. They don't have ramps and pins to help shifting and usually keep the chain on better, not as much an issue if you use a chain guide though, you can use the ones you have. As for the number of teeth, I have no clue what kind of range the Rohloff hub provides so you may have to experiment or wait for more feedback, there was someone here with a Rohloff on his red Prophet... Direktor I think... Also check with the chain guide system, some have chainring size limitations...

E.13 has a chain guide that doesn't need ISCG mounts. I think you put it between the BB shell and the BB driveside cup, kind of like an e-type front derailleur. They are also available in many sizes and are sold with all the needed mounting bolts and hardware.

I had a E.13 bash ring and broke it a few weeks ago, trying to go over a big big log, it broke at two places but still held on. I'm not convince they are the best now... I since went back to a 22/32/44 setup and I'm wondering how I lived without my 44T ring...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 08-06-2007 at 10:19 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    As for the chainring guide, if you are going with a 36 tooth plus, check out cyclocrossworld.com or I think Salsa makes some. You'll probably need some longer than normal chainring nuts and bolts and some washers. Check out the cyclocrossworld website if anything just for some ideas, but I know they have the longer chainring nuts and bolts. If you're looking for a bashring, these won't work, but if you're just trying to keep the chain on, these are great. Also look at the "chain watcher".

mtbr member
    What I did is got an e.13 bash and am putting a Blackspire chain tensioner on there; mounts to the BB and is cheap...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey guys thank you,

I want to go 38t. I want to order @ www.chainreactioncycles.com in the UK, so I need a Chainguide from them.

Has anyone the Idea which is the right one?

Thank you
    reno