Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Best all mountain rear shock for Cannondal Rush?

I have a cannondale rush that I've been steadily upgrading. Other than the crankset, the last thing on it thats stock is the rear shock which is a manitou radium which leaves much to be desired. Its 7.5'' x 1.75 and I'm trying to find something that will work well for around $250-300. I've been looking at the Fox RP23 which I can find for around $250 in a few places but I don't want to spend another $180 to have send it Fox or Push to have the travel put down from 2'' to 1.75''.

Are there any other alternatives that are comparable for all mountain riding?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am looking at the same idea, since my Fox Float has no adjustment. I took the shock off and measured where a 2 inch travel shock would end up. Even with my rather tall and hogh volume Conti Trail King 2.2 tires, a rear shock with a 7.5 i2i and 2 inches of travel the tire does not touch the seat tube. The only concern I have with going in this direction is that the extra bit of travel would make the already low BB even worse for pedal strikes. But then I thought that if I am close to bottoming out the shock, I doubt I'm pedaling anyway, so this shouldn't matter too much.

I have slowly been swapping out a few parts here and there to make my large alu Rush more of a rough duty trail bike and less of a xc/marathon machine. Started with 2.35 Nevegals, love the volume and traction, but roll slow, so switched to the trail kings. Changed the stem from 120mm 5 deg rise to a 90mm 20deg rise, kept the extra wide stock handlebars uncut. Now I am looking for a better rear shock and a dropper seatpost to complete this project. I am waiting to see the new 27.2 kind shock when it comes out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So you don't think that having that extra quarter inch of travel will cause any problems? I know it will void the warranty which isn't an issue since I got it used but I haven't found any follow up posts about how well it works.

Just a flesh wound
    I changed my stock Prophet Radium with 2" travel to a Manitou Swinger 3way Air w/ SPV with the same I2I but extra 1/4" travel. (200 mm x 50 mm to 200 mm x 56 mm). Great upgrade. Don't notice the extra travel, but the SPV is fantastic, totally eliminated pedal bob and made for a much better climber. The Rush has the same single pivot rear, so it would work nice, and you can get them on ebay for $100 to $150 brand new.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleb86
    So you don't think that having that extra quarter inch of travel will cause any problems? I know it will void the warranty which isn't an issue since I got it used but I haven't found any follow up posts about how well it works.
    take your shock off the bike, and then measure 5.5 inches (7.5 i2i - 2 inch stroke) between the center of the shock mount holes. Look at your rear tire and make sure it isn't contacting the seat tube at this distance. If not, you are good to go.

mtbr member
    http://www.bikewagon.com/Forks-Heads...47676-1-2.html
    Here's a Fox RPL with the right dimensions on Bikewagon.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    http://www.bikewagon.com/Forks-Heads...47676-1-2.html
    Here's a Fox RPL with the right dimensions on Bikewagon.
    good choice, you get the propedal lever and the correct size.

I use the propedal a lot. On to climb and flip open for descent!!!!! I have an RP23 that was on my Prophet, then moved it to my Rize. The only difference between the 2 is the level adj on the RP23 propedal.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all your help everyone but the solution to the problem just landed in my lap. A santa cruz LT2 frame with a Fox RP23 just came up on chainlove.com for $1000!!!!!!! A 2200 frame for that cheap is pretty sweet. I've spent waaay too much money on that site though. Its over in a few minutes. I just hope that most of my components are compatible with it.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I have rush and have gone a simialr direction with it. I put a longer 200x50mm manintou 4-way (from a 190 x 45mm fox rp2) on it which meant filing the swing arm so it doesn't hit the seat tube when the shock is fully extended. This raises the rear of the bike ~3/4".

I also put a 650b wheel on the front. this raises the front about the same amount and keeps the head tube angle about the same as stock. I don't notice any negative effect on handling and the extra clearance is nice.

I also went to a shorter stem and like it. I got a good deal 100mm one, but would have gone 90mm otherwise.

I love the traction from my 2.3 nevagals running around 25psi. I wouldn't give up the traction for lower rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Agree about the Nevs, but so far the Trail Kings have he same if not better grip. I've drunk the black chili kool aide and I think I like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had the RUSH with an RP23, and loved it. Used it mostly for all mountain (despite the low BB clearance). However, recently tried and bought an Intense EVP 5.5 with the VPP suspension, which I think your Santa Cruz LT has....and I never looked back....it's night and day.

If you could switch frames, do it, the VPP suspension is so much better than the single pivot of the RUSH.

Here is the major difference...the VPP will keep the back tire glued to the ground on climbs, and over the rough stuff of the decent. It's amazing. The single pivots don't quite absorb the rough stuff up (because they need propedal), and on the way down they chatter over the rough.

HOWEVER, the single pivots excel in giving you that squish when you land larger drops, like jumping off water bars. Whereas the vpp I've noticed doesn't go quite that deep into the squish. With the vpp, the first 2/3 of the shock stroke is used quite rapidly, but that last 1/3 is not too plush. But it's SO worth it.....it's like riding over marshmallows and pillows...
    Good luck with the upgrade or choice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Oh...and I kept the Lefty (not from the rush, but from my prophet)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best all mountain rear shock for Cannondal Rush?-lefty1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c-dale99
    I had the RUSH with an RP23, and loved it. Used it mostly for all mountain (despite the low BB clearance). However, recently tried and bought an Intense EVP 5.5 with the VPP suspension, which I think your Santa Cruz LT has....and I never looked back....it's night and day.

If you could switch frames, do it, the VPP suspension is so much better than the single pivot of the RUSH.

Here is the major difference...the VPP will keep the back tire glued to the ground on climbs, and over the rough stuff of the decent. It's amazing. The single pivots don't quite absorb the rough stuff up (because they need propedal), and on the way down they chatter over the rough.

HOWEVER, the single pivots excel in giving you that squish when you land larger drops, like jumping off water bars. Whereas the vpp I've noticed doesn't go quite that deep into the squish. With the vpp, the first 2/3 of the shock stroke is used quite rapidly, but that last 1/3 is not too plush. But it's SO worth it.....it's like riding over marshmallows and pillows...
    Good luck with the upgrade or choice...

Thanks and now you've got me all stoked! Never thought I'd be riding a bike this good for a year or 2. Should go nicely with my Magura Thor

mtbr member
    RP23. You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreen
    RP23. You will not regret it.
    I'm probably going to be passing off my Cannondale frame to a friend for cheap (since I got it cheap from a snowboarding buddy) and I'll point him here to convince him to get the RP23. If he doesn't take there will be a cheap great condition Rush 400 frame in the classifieds in a week or so.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For those that have used both or either of the RP23 or the manitou swinger, any opinions on which would be best for this bike? I still have my stock Fox Float, and the bob coupled with lack of adjustment is getting annoying. Some people have complained on here that the stock cannondale rush rp23s are set up very firm and race like in compression. any truth to this? What about aftermarket RP23s

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have ridden both and the stock RP23 was too stiff as you stated. I had the stock RP23 modified by PUSH. Bigger airsleave and valving. Changed the ride to a similar feeling on my prophet. More stable and less chatter on the down hills but there is no free lunch so rough curves and banked turns are swishy and can feel like a rolling boat.

I really like the rp23 with the propedel switch and I have been hearing good things about the roxshox monarch shock. I have ridden a monarch once and it performed well with the same propedel like switch. The switch allows you to setup two different rear suspensions. One for xc and one for dh.

maindude
    Aug 2009

Cane Creek Cloud Nine

Has anyone tried the a Cane Creek Cloud Nine rear shock on a Rush? I have heard great things about them from from other bike owners.

mtbr member

DT swiss xr carbon shock with rush

Has somebody tried install Dt swiss xr shock on Rush alloy frame?
    Cannondale Rush 35th anniversary 2

Mr. Knowitall
    I see the best contenders are RP23 and RS Monarch 4.2 as the benchmark for air shock performance.

mtbr member

Done

Customized bushing from 8/50mm to 8/32,5mm and 8/37,5mm...
    Best all mountain rear shock for Cannondal Rush?-2010-09-251.jpg

maindude
    Aug 2009
    So how is it working out?

mtbr member
    It works really well. Very smooth

mtbr member
    hi guys im thinking about a rush or a rz 120mm ,what your opinions about geometry ,construction ,feeling ,etc ,which one is the best in your opinion ?

maindude
    Aug 2009

Rush w/650b and rz 120 fork

My dream bike would be a Carbon Rush with 650b wheels and a new Lefty Ultra PBR120. I have a aluminum rush w/650b wheels and the Lefty speed 110 fork and it is very nice. I have rode a couple of rz120's and the new fork is very plush and light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast