Helmetless Crasher

Bent a Mavic Crossmax SLR

As the thread title says. Bent a front '12 SLR wheel. Not sure how exactly I did it, but suspect it occurred during a crash.

What RU guys doing for repair/service of these wheels? I don't have the mavic insurance program or any warranty on the wheel.

It has about 2cm runout. It had about 4cm runout before I partially corrected it via bending it back into shape - almost. Is rim strength forever compromised, now?

Just take it to the LBS/c'dale dealer or what?

Thanks.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I've smashed up two pairs of SLRs, that's why I don't run them anymore.

If they're out of warranty I'm not sure there's a lot you can do? You could contact Mavic and they might be nice to you, they'll probably be interested to at least take a look.

I'd get some crests laced to some I9 hubs if I was you.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Helmetless Crasher
    Thanks Boost.

I've found the wheels to be quite durable for their weight and intended use. I weigh 220 lb and had no issues for over a yr, until I took a trip and did some crazy rocky/techy/chunky AM/DH type stuff w/ them and crashed hard a few times.

I'd definitely get them again for XC and mild AM use, which is 99% of what I do.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Damn....scary. Just for a reference : how heavy are you guys ? Are we talking 29 ?
    I run '13 ones,light years better than my first 2010 26 ones.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

LA CHÈVRE
    Crossmax are pretty tough, even the SLR's. Chances are, the same (or worse) would have happened to any other comparable wheel.

And with most wheels, there is a point where it's hard to repair it successfully so see what your shop can do. Personnally, I'd trust Crossmax wheels a lot more than most Notubes light rims setup. Haven't tried their latest rims but ZTR Race Whatever were very flimsy... Notubes have some rider weight limits (190lbs for Crests, 170lbs for Podiums) while Crossmax can handle much more. Old Crossmax with FTS-L and FTS-X rear hubs had crappy rear hubs but the rest was good and reliable. Newer Crossmax with the ITS-4 rear hubs are pretty good though.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-18-2013 at 01:06 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Outch, I have be careful with my SLR then....darn!

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Crossmax are pretty tough, even the SLR's. Chances are, the same (or worse) would have happened to any other comparable wheels.

I believe this.

Given my weight and the abuse/crashes these wheels were subjected to, I'm sure any comparable weight-weenie wheel would have submitted.

Was not posting to "sound the alarm" re these wheels - but simply to find a fix for the one I managed to finally beat into submission, given the proprietary nature of the wheel's design/parts.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ekcyclops View Post
    Outch, I have be careful with my SLR then....darn!

Uh, I think the lesson here is that any wheel has a breaking (or, um, bending....) point; it's not a Crossmark SLR thing but a physics thing...

Helmetless Crasher
    Just an update:

LBS says Mavic wants $250ish to replace the rim and all spokes.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Stumpjumpy,
    I introduced myself of the forums earlier but in case you missed it, I've been a long time Mavic athlete and recently I've begun helping them out with community management. Basically that makes me a Mavic "answer guy" also relative to this thread is the fact that I'm a big dude too weighing over 200 myself. I read your question but it seems like you already came to the conclusion I was going to suggest which was bringing in the wheel to your local Mavic dealer. I think you made a great choice with running the SLR's for XC and trail riding. There aren't many wheel on the market that can stand up to the abuse people our size can dish out, when you factor in the light weight they're definitely an impressive product and a lot of other manufactures don't recommend wheels in this weight range for guys like us. Sorry to hear you crashed and damaged them but accidents happen and it sounds like the shop can get you rolling again. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    Hey Stumpjumpy,
    I introduced myself of the forums earlier but in case you missed it, I've been a long time Mavic athlete and recently I've begun helping them out with community management. Basically that makes me a Mavic "answer guy" also relative to this thread is the fact that I'm a big dude too weighing over 200 myself. I read your question but it seems like you already came to the conclusion I was going to suggest which was bringing in the wheel to your local Mavic dealer. I think you made a great choice with running the SLR's for XC and trail riding. There aren't many wheel on the market that can stand up to the abuse people our size can dish out, when you factor in the light weight they're definitely an impressive product and a lot of other manufactures don't recommend wheels in this weight range for guys like us. Sorry to hear you crashed and damaged them but accidents happen and it sounds like the shop can get you rolling again. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!
    You're THE Jeff Lenosky? Nice. Welcome to these boards.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Just an update:

LBS says Mavic wants $250ish to replace the rim and all spokes.
    that's about right.
    I remember an lbs saying the rim is $130 or so and spokes are 4 each.

Mavic parts are stupid expensive. Oddly, my ST has been solid for 5 yrs.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.