Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bent Lefty?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Bent Lefty?

Came across Rush that noticably leans/pulls to the right when ridden no handed. I have measured everything I can think to check and can't track down the culprit. I fear the problem may lay in the fork but, like the vast majority, I have little experince with Leftys. I'm looking for some guidance on what I should be looking at to try the eliminate the fork as a possible problem.

Edit: For any googlers that may be reading. It is unlikly for a Lefty to be bent if it still cycles smoothly. If you have a problem riding no handed this is common for Lefty riders, check you frame aligmant and your wheel dish, but if that checks out it is likely atributed to cable housing length/routing or the slight weight inbalance caused by the single sided fork. Feel free to continue reading if you like pointless internet argueing about forum points.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 02-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it were bent enough to be an issue (highly unlikely) it would not cycle through the stroke smoothly, if at all.

Numerous threads on riding Leftys no handed. You are not the first to have issues, and the reasons for it are multitudinous. At the end of the day though, none are caused by a bent fork....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I'm sorry, but "simply unhelpful"?

I gave you solid info on what would happen if it were bent, so you can rest easily that it isn't, unless of course, it is binding or feeling like crap, in which case, you now know you have a problem that should be investigated more deeply.

If your implication is that I ought to be spending half an hour digging up all the various and sundry threads for you (while you sit there waiting sipping a beer) about the various issues folks run into, that include things like cable housing being too long, wheel not dished, etc?

Then perhaps try simply asking for more info. It not my, or anyone elses job here to serve everything up on a plate to you, or anyone else, and if you must know I was short on time last night, but didn't want to leave your question hanging.

Considering how much time I give freely answering questions about Leftys and Headshocks, almost every day since joining in 2005, I'd think I should be given a little leeway now and then.

Neg repping me for not teaching you how to search the internet is the epitome of lazy.

I'd be humorous and do a "Let me Google that for you" link, but this thread isn't worth any more of my time....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its a sad sad world.....im neg repping him just cause he pissed off Mendon.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Its a sad sad world.....im neg repping him just cause he pissed off Mendon.
    You guys wanna be alone?

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I'm sorry, but "simply unhelpful"?

I gave you solid info on what would happen if it were bent, so you can rest easily that it isn't, unless of course, it is binding or feeling like crap, in which case, you now know you have a problem that should be investigated more deeply.

If your implication is that I ought to be spending half an hour digging up all the various and sundry threads for you (while you sit there waiting sipping a beer) about the various issues folks run into, that include things like cable housing being too long, wheel not dished, etc?

Then perhaps try simply asking for more info. It not my, or anyone elses job here to serve everything up on a plate to you, or anyone else, and if you must know I was short on time last night, but didn't want to leave your question hanging.

Considering how much time I give freely answering questions about Leftys and Headshocks, almost every day since joining in 2005, I'd think I should be given a little leeway now and then.

Neg repping me for not teaching you how to search the internet is the epitome of lazy.

I'd be humorous and do a "Let me Google that for you" link, but this thread isn't worth any more of my time....
    Very professional for a guy plugging his(?) shop with every post.

Like I said, I have measured and checked everything I have the means too. The fork, which I'm unfamiliar with, was the only thing I didn't/couldn't. I posted looking for help with it and got dismissed.

If you have any advice on Cannondale/Lefty specific things I sould check THAT would be helpful. Actually this flame post was more helpful then the first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    He helps so many of us with advice that he could clearly keep to him self. But he is always giving pointers and advice on how to fix things he could ge getting paid to fix.

What part of, "if its bent it probably wouldnt cycle" did you not understand? He just told you that the problem is likely else where. My bike pulls to the left, why, because I have a brake line that is to long. Oh thats right he mentioned that could be the issue. Oh, he also said that it could be a dishing issue with the wheel, after having my wheel dished it improved the left pull. Again a helpful bit of advice.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    He helps so many of us with advice that he could clearly keep to him self. But he is always giving pointers and advice on how to fix things he could ge getting paid to fix.

What part of, "if its bent it probably wouldnt cycle" did you not understand? He just told you that the problem is likely else where. My bike pulls to the left, why, because I have a brake line that is to long. Oh thats right he mentioned that could be the issue. Oh, he also said that it could be a dishing issue with the wheel, after having my wheel dished it improved the left pull. Again a helpful bit of advice.
    I got that, but saying "it's something else" simply isn't helpful. If you re-read my original post that I had narrowed it down to, what I though was, the fork but I was open to other possibilities (preferably Cannondale related given the location for the post). And if you re-read my last post you will see that I gave him credit for being more helpful in his other post.

I'm glad he has been able to help you with your issues but if he wants to get paid he should try being more professional, or being more helpful.

Either way I still have a bike with an issue, and have learned that you guys don't care to help. Thanks, I'll get back to you if I figure it out.

No good in rock gardens..
    Wow....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Huckin' trails

Bent Lefty?

Try to move your saddle a tad more to the right. That fixed my bike always pulling left right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I got that, but saying "it's something else" simply isn't helpful. If you re-read my original post that I had narrowed it down to, what I though was, the fork but I was open to other possibilities (preferably Cannondale related given the location for the post). And if you re-read my last post you will see that I gave him credit for being more helpful in his other post.

I'm glad he has been able to help you with your issues but if he wants to get paid he should try being more professional, or being more helpful.

Either way I still have a bike with an issue, and have learned that you guys don't care to help. Thanks, I'll get back to you if I figure it out.
    Your original post was to eliminate the fork as the culprit or source of the problem, and he did. Also let you know there were other threads out there to look for which may contain the answer to your issue. You gave 0 information to even use to troubleshoot the issue. He addressed the one thing you actually mentioned in your post. It's not like he said "I don't know" then told you go F yourself and locked the thread or banned you. Of course we all know hindsight is 20/20...
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Your original post was to eliminate the fork as the culprit or source of the problem, and he did. Also let you know there were other threads out there to look for which may contain the answer to your issue. You gave 0 information to even use to troubleshoot the issue. He addressed the one thing you actually mentioned in your post. It's not like he said "I don't know" then told you go F yourself and locked the thread or banned you. Of course we all know hindsight is 20/20...
    To dismiss something is not the same as eliminating it.

Let me be more clear. I have a Cannondale Rush, not sure what year it's kinda brown with reflective decals, I'll go look it up on vintagecannondale if it really matters. When it is ridden no handed on flat level ground it seems to lean and steer to the right. I have dished, trued, and tensioned both wheels, checked frame alignment with the Park frame and dropout alignment gauges and the "string of truth", inspected the suspension pivots and shock bushings, confirmed the crankset and bottom bracket installation, inspected the seat and post, installed new pedals, replaced the headset bearings, had two other mechanics check the alignment of the stem, inspected the bars for damage, changed out the cables and housing correcting the length where needed and still the bike seems to lean. Also, and I don't think these would have anything to do with the issue, I have bled the brakes, refilled the tires with sealant and replaced the rear valve, checked the cassette and chain for wear, filed down some burs on the big chaining, adjusted both derailers, adjusted the reach on the right brake lever, and rotated the grips. The fork seems to function fine other then a small amount of oil near the top of the boot, and was rebuilt about a year ago, but I'm told the problem existed before that service.

The process of deduction leads me to believe that the problem either lives in the fork, a part that I am admittedly unfamiliar with, or there is something about this particular bike that I'm not seeing that I hope other people with the same bike, or with similar bikes from the same manufacturer, could clue me into.

Ideas?

I'd also like to say that I have no clue who MAC is, or why I should care, but he seems to be the big fish in this little pond so maybe I should assume he speaks for everybody and the general consensus is that the fork is fine and I should go ask elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    One of your arms is longer than the other? Only joking. ;-)

Just a few checks. You say that you have Dished both wheels. Did you use a genuine C'dale truing axle? Was the front wheel out of dish at all when you checked?

There is very little on a Lefty that would actually bend without some very very impact. It is not typically a fork that would bend just a little bit. If your Lefty is bent in any way you would see some sign of the damage and your fork would not allow full travel.

I have seen wheels totalled and frames fail with head on crashes, but with the Lefty coming out unscathed.

What I have found is that fitting a longer travel Lefty to a bike, than what it is designed to have, emphasizes the small amount of correction required to ride no handed. Do you know what length travel you have on your fork?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Used a QCTL108 dummy axle with a Park ts-2. Front wheel was quite far to the right actually, I got it to within 1mm and correcting it made a noticeable difference but did not solve the issue.

Looking through old catalogs makes me think it's a 2006 Rush 2000 in Mocha Brown with, what appears to be, the stock 110mm carbon DLR2.

I may play with cable length and routing but I have never had this much feedback caused by cables.

Sweater
    To dismiss something is not the same as eliminating it.
    You're reading it wrong

Let me be more clear.
    You should have been from the start

The process of deduction leads me to believe that the problem either lives in the fork, a part that I am admittedly unfamiliar with, or there is something about this particular bike that I'm not seeing that I hope other people with the same bike, or with similar bikes from the same manufacturer, could clue me into.
    The principles aren't much different than a regular fork. A thingy attaches to the bike, has some parts that slide in and out, and then attaches to the wheel.

Ideas?
    Yes, but I don't want to reward you for being an entitled p****

I'd also like to say that I have no clue who MAC is, or why I should care.
    Me neither. This is the internet, how do you qualify who gives you answers? I guess in Mendon's case you could have clicked the link in his sig....

My first google result: Lefty pulls to right riding no hands
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

11 is one louder than 10
    You guys wanna be alone?

Very professional for a guy plugging his(?) shop with every post.

Like I said, I have measured and checked everything I have the means too. The fork, which I'm unfamiliar with, was the only thing I didn't/couldn't. I posted looking for help with it and got dismissed.

If you have any advice on Cannondale/Lefty specific things I sould check THAT would be helpful. Actually this flame post was more helpful then the first.

Dude,

While I think that the reputation function is pretty hilarious in and of itself, to take a shot at the guy who has helped more people for free on their lefty's is a pretty low-brow move.

I suppose one question would be how much no-handed MTB riding one would do anyway? But that's just me being a smart-a$$.

I also don't think that MCS "plugs" his shop with every post. He helps a lot of people, he owns a shop and due to a lot of good free advice, sure some people send their lefty's in to him to get worked on - because he does good work.

As for your no-handed riding troubles... Could just as easily be that the frame is misaligned, frankly if the bike really does track incorrectly it's more likely a frame than a fork. Could be wheel dish, could be a tire, could be a brake cable. Could be that your stem isn't lined up properly. Could be that the handlebar isn't centered, or the center of the bar isn't actually proper. Could be a spell that was cast by someone on that frame....

He is also 100% correct in how he answered your original question. If a lefty was bent, it wouldn't cycle all the way through. Let the air out, cycle it, see if it goes.

But yeah, negative rep, even if rep is silly to begin with was a d-bag move.

Feel free to negative rep me all you would like.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As the Lefty turns.........

No Stranger to danger....
    Lefty's suck, id rather a righty...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Redcoat
    Mendon knows his stuff and he was kind enough to drop some knowledge on you. You pissed someone off who could really help you if you werent a complete dick about it. you dont neg someone because its not what you wanted to hear.

you could politely ask to elaborate.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Dude,

While I think that the reputation function is pretty hilarious in and of itself, to take a shot at the guy who has helped more people for free on their lefty's is a pretty low-brow move.

I also don't think that MCS "plugs" his shop with every post. He helps a lot of people, he owns a shop and due to a lot of good free advice, sure some people send their lefty's in to him to get worked on - because he does good work.

As for your no-handed riding troubles... Could just as easily be that the frame is misaligned, frankly if the bike really does track incorrectly it's more likely a frame than a fork. Could be wheel dish, could be a tire, could be a brake cable. Could be that your stem isn't lined up properly. Could be that the handlebar isn't centered, or the center of the bar isn't actually proper. Could be a spell that was cast by someone on that frame....

He is also 100% correct in how he answered your original question. If a lefty was bent, it wouldn't cycle all the way through. Let the air out, cycle it, see if it goes.

But yeah, negative rep, even if rep is silly to begin with was a d-bag move.

Feel free to negative rep me all you would like.
    You realize that, like I mentioned, I have no idea who that guy is. I didn't negative rep someone who helps lots of people with their issues, I negative repped an anonymous person who was dismissive towards me. The internet is a big place, I don't know everyone on it. I read his post as nothing more then some random guy saying "its not the fork, go Google it or something" which I found to be simply unhelpful. I guess I could have checked his signature, in which he plugs his shop every time he posts, but honestly I ignore those for the most part. I think people on the internet forget that just because you read what others wrote with the voice in your head we don't know everything else you got up there, like who MCS is.

And if you read my original post you will see that I mentioned I checked what could, I know I wasn't specific but I would think that most people would assume that would, and did, include frame alignment. Also that I asked for general ideas, again Cannondale related given the sub forum, that I may be missing. Maybe I should have chosen a more vauge title, but in my mind, having checked almost everything else, the problem probably lay with the fork.

Lastly, and I'm no expert, but I would bet you could tweak and "crown" or "steering knuckle" and the fork would still cycle fine, which this one does. Although I'm not saying it's likely or the case here.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Just got an email from Tim @ Twosix Labs. Seems as this is a common complaint with Lefty users. His take is that if all other culprits have checked out that it probably comes down to cables pushing the bars or the slight weight imbalance. If the bike rides fine with otherwise most people live with it.

Now that was simply helpful .

mtbr member
    the problem is your big head and all those brain injuries, dude. don't neg rep me, I have a caliper and I know how to use it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Amazing. You were given the same advice as the first guy. And your taking his advice

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Amazing. You were given the same advice as the first guy. And your taking his advice
    Come off it. Read the first response to the thread and tell me what "advice" you see. Where as the same question to one other person and I have a satisfactory conclusion, all in fewer words then the first guy used to tell me to buzz off. Thanks anyways.

No Stranger to danger....

Whos getting paid here to give advice? he is giving you his time free of charge and your whinging its not good enough, you sound like your part of the new generation that wants others to fix their problems, your sounding like a spoilt only child, pull your head in.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I've debated whether or not to wander back in here, and I thank all those who realize I wasn't being a dismissive jerk, I appreciate it.

The OP asked a question, and I responded, and, as it was, I was the first response he got. If I can, I try to hop in quickly on these sorts of things since I do have a good handle on them generally, so I felt a bit of urgency in responding, despite not having time to post a lengthy missive.

Do recall, the internet is a big place, and folks respond from every time zone on the planet. It might have been lunch time where you are, but it could well have been past my bedtime, or, as it happened, I was heading out for a night ride in about 5 minutes, and didn't want to hold my buddies up.

I have no idea what he was expecting, but apparently, he didn't get it from me. It's really too bad he didn't simply ask for more information, which I'd happily have given when I had more time.

My general experience with this, and many other forums is, a question is posted, and folks respond. Some with useful information, some with wise remarks, some with useless info, some with downright incorrect info. Rarely does one person come in, answer the whole thing right then and there, and the thread ends. These things are conversations, many going on for pages, as the information unfolds, comes to the surface, and gels into a comprehensive answer.

It is the OP's job to take that information, and ask questions of those who seemed to best come close to what they were after.

If an OP takes the time to neg rep everyone who gives info that they do not think is exactly what they want, they are simply making themselves look bad to the community, and wasting their own time in the process. Nobody really puts much stock the rep system anyway, it's more of a you pat my back I'll pat yours kind of thing.

Why you (op) felt that my telling you that if the fork cycles fully and smoothly, that it is likely not bent, is not a piece of solid info, I can't say, but that was what you asked for clarification on, and I gave it to you. The additional issues can be found in multiple threads, as I also said, and most of it is minor stuff that can be dealt with by the end user, as opposed to "oh crap, I need to buy a new fork".

No one person will always give all the info every time, for whatever reason.

You got your pants all twisted up for what reason, I'll never know, and your actions were startling to me, in that I bore no malice in my answer, had no agenda, and only desired to help calm your concerns about what you stated as your primary fear, "was the fork bent?"

I apologize for coming out of the box hot at you in response to your neg rep of me, but honestly, you misread my post, it's intentions, and insulted me with your actions regarding your mistake.

In closing, just stop. Stop saying I shill my shop and services with every post. It makes you look really silly. If you spend enough time stalking me, you'd know what a load of bull that is.

Forum rules prohibit it for one thing, and second, shops, businesses and other folks in the industry are asked to state their affiliations plainly so as to make it obvious that we are not just some Joe Biker, but in the industry.

Thirdly, I go an extra step, and have my shop name as my screen name, so that all my actions, words, etc, are patently mine, I do not hide behind some ridiculous screen name. When you start posting as your given name, you will be as honest as I. Till then, you're just another anonymous internet user, spouting incendiary trash like some keyboard ninja.

I've operated here for quite a while and never have received so much as a talking to from the Supers or admins for the way I conduct myself, and go out of my way to tell folks with issues to find a good local shop, to seek the service provider they wish to deal with etc, I never, ever just pop in and say, send me your fork, I'll fix it, or hey, drop me a line, I'll undercut that guys price, whatever.

Again, I apologize for getting upset and getting snarky, and I hope you can realize that you alone, are the reason this thread went sideways not me.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast