I like to ride my bike.

Bearings Always Need to be Reset...Help!

I have an '06 DLR2 110 and the bearings have to be reset after less than 40 miles, sometimes after every ride. And then it takes me 40 minutes to reset them. I have to get it past 700mm to have a slight change in performance.

The rebound is also a bit slow as I'm light and run a low preload. I'm running the softest negative spring.

Also, the lockout lever does not stay lockedout, I often have to move it back to lock it out.

So, any ideas?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Isn't the need for frequent resets indicative of needing a stiffer spring?
    Even though you are light, you might ride more aggressively than us old farts.

just a thought...
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

I like to ride my bike.
    Interesting. I'm 128lbs without gear. I believe the softest negative spring is recommended for riders 170lbs and under.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

I like to ride my bike.
    I just noticed you're from Glosta! We shall ride sometime....or maybe we already have....
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I just noticed you're from Glosta! We shall ride sometime....or maybe we already have....
    Hey cool! I checked your profile, which of course lead me to Diesel Bikes. Looks like I just missed a ride in my (almost) back yard (Bruce and Tom's). I'm mostly riding in Dog Town these days - been too busy to get out of town. PM me if any rides going on close by - think I'll keep an eye on that Diesel Bikes calendar and may try to join up with them in a month or so when boating season winds down.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it's a repetive issue, the best way to solve it is to either increase your air, to reduce the forks ability to hyper speed compress, thus stuffing the races past the bearing strips, or have the fork races retoleranced. Typically a 1000th on two or 4 of them, is sufficient to take care of it. Negative spring change will have little impact on migration issues.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    If it's a repetive issue, the best way to solve it is to either increase your air, to reduce the forks ability to hyper speed compress, thus stuffing the races past the bearing strips, or have the fork races retoleranced. Typically a 1000th on two or 4 of them, is sufficient to take care of it. Negative spring change will have little impact on migration issues.
    Would you recommend that I send it to Cannondale, have my local Cannondale dealer do it, or...?
    Thank you very much Mendon!
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    Would you recommend that I send it to Cannondale, have my local Cannondale dealer do it, or...?
    Thank you very much Mendon!
    Depends on the dealer, some are very adept at handling it, others look at you like you have leprosy if you ask them. I service them all the time, so it's just a matter of having the different thicknesses of races, which I do. Though it's more for replacing damaged ones. I don't retolerance many, as it's not a common request. Cannondale can handle it too, it all depends on where you are in the world, what will be the quickest way to handle it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com