mtbr member

Bearing stuck on lefty axle.

Hey guys. I'm just learning my ways with Cannondale tech. Today I fitted my new wheel with Woodman LFY hub to the lefty, and while screwing the bolt in, decided to take it off. To my surprise, inner bearing came off the hub and got stuck on the axle and now I can't remove it. Is there a manual or instructions on how to properly get the wheel on and off lefty? Thank you.

Edit: never felt so stupid in my entire life. I didn't install brake rotor prior to wheel installation, I just wanted to see how it seats and so. I guess, brake rotor keeps bearing in place. The question remains.

Edit: removed. I will never do it again(repeat 100 times). Please remove post.
    Last edited by arcticrobot; 01-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot
    I will never do it again(repeat 100 times). Please remove post.
    After many, MANY years of Leftys, I did the same thing, without thinking, a year or two ago, when just screwing around. I feel your pain, but, as the saying goes, sh*t rolls down hill, so you'll forgive me for laughing.....

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    After many, MANY years of Leftys, I did the same thing, without thinking, a year or two ago, when just screwing around. I feel your pain, but, as the saying goes, sh*t rolls down hill, so you'll forgive me for laughing.....

Now I'm laughing myself. But at the time of incident I was sh*tting bricks. Brand new, never installed carbon Lefty Max 140. OMG!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So how did you remedy the situation?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Probabily everyone did some wrong procedures in some builds ...

2 weeks ago i installed a crank with no inner ring...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    So how did you remedy the situation?
    I tried to take it off using rubber mallet with no success. You have to apply forse at least at the two points. So here is what I did: jumping rope with heavy handles, parktool pedal wrench and good old duct tape to hold it together. Mallet force was applied somewhere at the middle of the wrench, while handle ends were held by hand against bearing. Lefty hub bearing seal(little rubberized metal ring) was damaged in the process, but it was inevitable and this part is relatively cheap at $7.