Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BB30 cREaKinG

mtbr member

BB30 cREaKinG

Iím getting crazy creaking sounds outta my BB30 bottom bracket i just replaced the bearings and put a nice film of grease on the bottom bracket shell and on the spindle before assembly everything was great for the first ride but I did get the bike filthy due to a combo of low spots with water and dusty trail after a post ride wash and lube like Iíve done a bazillion of times, I get out on the bike yesterday and it sounds like the bottom bracket is about ready to implode due to the creaking and cracking noises while pedaling more torque equals more noise.

Iíve had BB30 bikes since 07 and have replaced bearings on them in the past with no issues or noise ever whatís the deal here? Iím in a severe time crunch since we leave to go on vacation in less than 48 hours I don't have the 'official' Cannondale tool for removing the bearings normally I just use a hammer and dull chisel to whack the old ones out it doesnít matter if they are destroyed in the process since they were going to be replaced with new bearings. Therefore Iím trying to silence the bottom bracket creaking without having to remove the bearings what suggestions does anyone have on fixing this without taking the bearings out?

Would taking off the drive side crank arm off tapping out the spindle and spraying some penetrating lube like Zep 45 (it's the best stuff ever) do the trick you think or what else might I be missing here?

mtbr member
    It sounds very strange ,which bike do you have ?how much time these cranks are installed ?there is the possibility of being of the bb30 box ,the frame is carbon one ?

mtbr member
    flash 29er carbon i've had the cannondale hollowgram cranks on it since new the bearings were rough so i got some fresh ones and installed them like i've done in the past with my other BB30 bikes both carbon fiber and aluminum the flash has a aluminum bottom bracket shell by the way.

LA CH»VRE
    Make sure everything is torqued right and that everything got installed clean then greased/loctited properly (arm's bolts, chainring bolts, pedals, spider lockring). Last year my Scalpel creaked in the BB area after a wet race but it turned out it was the pedal threads, I cleaned the interface, re-greased and was good to go.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Make sure everything is torqued right and that everything got installed clean then greased/loctited properly (arm's bolts, chainring bolts, pedals, spider lockring). Last year my Scalpel creaked in the BB area after a wet race but it turned out it was the pedal threads, I cleaned the interface, re-greased and was good to go.
    thanks that what i was thinking i'm not a great home mechanic but good enough that i can do 95% of my own work. i'll take the pedals off and regrease the threads along with taking the drive side arm off and taping out the spindle and regreasing everthing and spraying some zep 45 inside the bottom bracket area I use shimano Dura Ace grease and have been forever it's that good. it's just odd that i'd get such creaking noises after one ride and wash.

mtbr member
    has anything changed recently with your setup? i had a similar problem and it was too many spacers and not enough torque which lead to the drive side loosening up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The only time I have had problems with a creaking BB30 is with the bearing nut getting slightly loose. The BB30 went from quiet to sounding like a coffee grinder with just finger pressure. Cleaning it up and using blue loctite cured it for good. A friend of mine swears by teflon tape on threads and spacers to seal and eliminate noise. I have not tried it. I use blue locktite on everything.

mtbr member
    Also check your rear shock bolts and frog link. I had the same problem and after replacing my bb30 bearings the sound continued. I found out it was the bearings themselves in the frog link that were dry from the factory (what do you expect when they are stamped 'made in china'). A quick grease job and the bike is running quiet for months now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    Also check your rear shock bolts and frog link. I had the same problem and after replacing my bb30 bearings the sound continued. I found out it was the bearings themselves in the frog link that were dry from the factory (what do you expect when they are stamped 'made in china'). A quick grease job and the bike is running quiet for months now.
    Its a Flash 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale rider 66
    The only time I have had problems with a creaking BB30 is with the bearing nut getting slightly loose. The BB30 went from quiet to sounding like a coffee grinder with just finger pressure. Cleaning it up and using blue loctite cured it for good. A friend of mine swears by teflon tape on threads and spacers to seal and eliminate noise. I have not tried it. I use blue locktite on everything.
    i did not have time to dig into it last night but hopefully i can get something done tonight this isn't my first time replacing the bearings in a BB30 bike and when i reassembled everything i use quality grease on anything threaded or needs to be pressed in.

i'll take off the pedals and regrease the threads along with take the spindle out and spray some Zep 2000 (i like zep products) in the bottem bracket area and then reassemble everything.

i'm thinking it might be the crank bolts i recently replaced the red anno bolts with new black anno bolts although i greased the threads i might of either tightned them too much or not enough i'll remove em' and see what the deal is there.

Music & Bikes
    Sound travels easily through Carbon , have you checked the seat post area ?

Chainwheels can be a pain too......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

XCdude

The arms werent greased

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    Iím getting crazy creaking sounds outta my BB30 bottom bracket i just replaced the bearings and put a nice film of grease on the bottom bracket shell and on the spindle before assembly everything was great for the first ride but I did get the bike filthy due to a combo of low spots with water and dusty trail after a post ride wash and lube like Iíve done a bazillion of times, I get out on the bike yesterday and it sounds like the bottom bracket is about ready to implode due to the creaking and cracking noises while pedaling more torque equals more noise.

Iíve had BB30 bikes since 07 and have replaced bearings on them in the past with no issues or noise ever whatís the deal here? Iím in a severe time crunch since we leave to go on vacation in less than 48 hours I don't have the 'official' Cannondale tool for removing the bearings normally I just use a hammer and dull chisel to whack the old ones out it doesnít matter if they are destroyed in the process since they were going to be replaced with new bearings. Therefore Iím trying to silence the bottom bracket creaking without having to remove the bearings what suggestions does anyone have on fixing this without taking the bearings out?

Would taking off the drive side crank arm off tapping out the spindle and spraying some penetrating lube like Zep 45 (it's the best stuff ever) do the trick you think or what else might I be missing here?

you have to removed them and grease the spindles. The noise will be gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    Sound travels easily through Carbon , have you checked the seat post area ?

Chainwheels can be a pain too......
    this is a sound only when peadling and putting some torque to the cranks if i soft pedal it goes away if i sprint or ride at tempo or go up any rise the sound gets louder the harder i pedal.

the bolts in the chain rings are all snug and the seat post has not been jacked with since it was installed.

i'm thinking the pedal spindles are making the noise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    could be your knees

mtbr member
    this is a sound only when peadling and putting some torque to the cranks if i soft pedal it goes away if i sprint or ride at tempo or go up any rise the sound gets louder the harder i pedal.

the bolts in the chain rings are all snug and the seat post has not been jacked with since it was installed.

i'm thinking the pedal spindles are making the noise.
    Mine did the same thing, confused the heck outta me. If you don't find the noise, definitely give your linkage a once over, as this frame is not the stiffest and you'll have flex under hard efforts. I also put ti-prep on my shock bolts.

One more thing...an old chain will sound like this as well if its gets gritty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    Mine did the same thing, confused the heck outta me. If you don't find the noise, definitely give your linkage a once over, as this frame is not the stiffest and you'll have flex under hard efforts. I also put ti-prep on my shock bolts.

One more thing...an old chain will sound like this as well if its gets gritty.
    it's a flash 29er hardtail frame and i keep the drive trains on all my bikes so clean and lubed you could eat off of them.

mtbr member
    it's a flash 29er hardtail frame and i keep the drive trains on all my bikes so clean and lubed you could eat off of them.
    ya proboably no frog link on that one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check with the dropout too, sound may come from there sometimes, it happened on my Scalpel before, especially when I pedaled hard. Take it off, apply some grease on the dropout contact area, put it back and the creaking noise gone.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    seat rails

FIRENZE rulez !!

Summe Game !!!!!!!

all the tips are right ... many zones and parts can produce that sound

i can say rear skewer , not yet said ...

clean it and lube it with some grease and proper closing torque

who win the SUMMER GAME Hal9000 lottery ?

parkincake has 95% possibilty of winning , for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i've got a bb30 on a carbon road bike that's creaking. I can't imagine putting teflon tape anywhere between the frame/bearing/crank interface - it would just get squeezed off. I don't have access to a specialized tool but want to remove them and regrease. Any ways?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cable housings, ya sounds weird I had a similar sound before and thought it's coming from the BB area. It turned out to be the brake cable housings along the top tube.. Lubed and the noise's gone.

mtbr member
    So what upgrade bearing did anyone use for the BB30 as I heard that standard OEM bearing are cheap and nasty and seized up after multiple washes and rainny rides.

The BB30 is great engineering idea but the realibility in mountainbiking are absolute rubbish. The best BB so far for realibility is the external type and I remember my old XTR970 BB lasted for almost 3 years without servicing but the BB30 lasted 2 rides in winter season!

mtbr member
    supposedly pressfit remedies a lot of the reliability issues that traditional bb30 has. both the evo and the scalpel 29 have included this design and probably a safe bet that it will be incorporated into new frames as they are redesigned.

mtbr member
    I've done some researched and I found about Enduro brand bearings. There are 4 level bearing model/type, 1 is the cheapest and 4 cost a lot.

In my opinion I would start from level 2 to 4, just depends how much money I got in the bank

Whichever bearing you choose you must buy a set of seal kit to protect your BB from those wet/wash/muddy rides.

- Enduro Seal

1 - Enduro Bearing
    2 - Enduro 5 Bearing
    3 - Enduro Grade 5 Ceramic Hybrid Set Ė BB30
    4 - Enduro ZERO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast