mtbr member

BB30 ceramic bearings

I have had my new Scalpel for 2 months now and I started to hear severe creaks coming up from the BB area. I thought I might have to put some additional grease on the different contact areas, but when I took the crankset apart, I noticed both of the bearings are already worn How is this possible?? I wash my bike every week (no high pressure water of course) and I am always careful not to put any water on the BB-area. I am sorry to say, but these bearings are rubbish!

Are Enduro bearings any better than the C-Dales? Are there better alternatives?

Kayba

mtbr member
    May 2005
    can you please explain what you mean by the bearings being worn?

mtbr member
    When you spin them with your hands, you feel they don't run smoothly any more. When I took off the seals, I noticed the grease between the balls was gone and the race was completely dry. When I stood on the pedals, there was this constant creak. In the meantime I did some searches on various internet forums und it appears it is a common problem with the C'Dale ceramic bearings. I ordered som Enduros now. I hope they will last a little longer
    Kayba

mtbr member
    ok here is the big question how do you remove the bearings?

i guess since it's BB30 i don't have the tools at home to do this eh?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i wrote of same problems moths ago in other topic

here in italy every friend with a BB30 ceramic bearing is always changing them...

mee to

1 pairs changed in 3 months...

use industrial bearnigs or search on web ....

i have planned to buy this one with my friends:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=004

protection from dust in both sides

cheaper than stock ceramic bearings ... here in italy a pair is starting at best price at 80 euro to grow up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    ok here is the big question how do you remove the bearings?

i guess since it's BB30 i don't have the tools at home to do this eh?
    If you are sure you don't need the bearings any more, you can simply knock them out using a screw driver and a mallet. If you plan to re-use them, you need a BB30 bearing removal tool (available from Cannondale or Enduro).
    Kayba

mtbr member
    hi guys, kicking this thread back up as i'm having similar issues with my bb bearings. i was looking at either:

1. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=21944 (SI BB bearings (6806) - pair). they look like they are just standard bearings. US32 for a pair.

OR

2. http://www.superflycycles.com/servle...ro-Zero/Detail US52 for the pair.

is the one from universal cycles sufficient or should i look to get the enduro? i dont mind spending the extra money if they are going to last a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hi, Are you using the rubber thiny seal that goes after the bearing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    Hi, Are you using the rubber thiny seal that goes after the bearing?
    no idea... it was installed by the shop i got the bike from. i havent pulled it apart yet (waiting on the tools) - but the sensation bearings being shot is definetly there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It could be that. because those rubber seal are to protect the bearing..... It happens to my first scalpel, the ceramic bearing were completely shot... I was able to clean them and re-grease and they work fine, on the other bike, as soon as I got the bike, I took it apart and did not came with it, I installed and havent had a single issue from the bearing..

LA CHÈVRE
    Also check that the wave washer isn't completely flat when the crankarms are installed, if it is, it might put too much side pressure on the bearings and make them die faster than they should.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    better the 6806 2RS bearings ...double protection as the code 2RS means

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    also get a good quality bearing specific grease. it might not be cheap, but neither is replacing bearings every month or so!

Members who have read this thread: 0