Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

BB30 Bearing Life ??

I was wondering if some of guys who have been using BB30 could comment on how you have found the life span of the bearings?

I have a Rize 08, fitted with a GXP crankset ( BB30 adapter installed) which is in need of replacing. I'm considering upgrading to a BB30 crankset, but since i ride in wet, cold and muddy climate for most of the year, well sealed hard wearing bearings are a must.

I would describe my riding style as extreme XC / AM - so weight is not my biggest concern. So far i have looked at FSA Afterburner BB30 .

Any comments are welcome

C..

Now broadcasting from CO
    You will have better luck with stainless steel BB30 bearings than ceramic ones. We routinely trash ceramic BB30 bearings in a month of early spring or late fall riding and racing in PA. The Afterburner cranks are a good choice since they come with SS bearings.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    How well are the Afterburner cranks sealed ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    personally not sure about the afterburner. i'd say the bb30 bearing are no worse than the gxp outboard jobbies, i've had sets of either fail within weeks. skf are a good value bearing to use 61806 2rs. it is worth removing the seals and packing them with a quality bearing grease, before you install. i did this with my last pair over 2000 UK miles ago.

rock n roll web grease is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    personally not sure about the afterburner. i'd say the bb30 bearing are no worse than the gxp outboard jobbies, i've had sets of either fail within weeks. skf are a good value bearing to use 61806 2rs. it is worth removing the seals and packing them with a quality bearing grease, before you install. i did this with my last pair over 2000 UK miles ago.

rock n roll web grease is good.
    Thanks for the info, I'm up in Scotland, so most of my riding is done in wet, damp and muddy conditions
    Last edited by chick0; 04-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Like others have said the ceramic bearings don't last long, Enduro stainless with lots of grease is the way to go.

Sweater

FSA Afterburner

Overall, I would say this crankset is decent but does have a few drawbacks. If you're looking for a BB30 crankset though, its really your only option at a reasonable price. I think every other BB30 crankset is a lot closer to $500 or more while this one can be had for $300 or less.
    The bearings themselves are just sealed cartridge bearings and seem to be decent quality, good seals and roll smooth without any play in the BB(tight tolerance).
    Plusses
    1) Looks good, visually appealing
    2) Smooth bearings, good power delivery
    3) Simple to install and service, only requires one spanner wrench (which is included), an allen wrench, and possibly a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer.

Minuses
    It will seem like there is more to complain about than rave about, but this really isnt the case so much. You just tend to notice when things dont work and happily pedal along when things are working great.
    1) If the chain falls to the inside of the granny ring, the chain can get stuck between the frame and crankset. The granny ring bolts will hold the chain in between frame/crank and its tricky to get out, you have to undo your quicklink and fish it out. A little frustrating. You can see the area I'm talking about on the drive side in the first photo.
    2) There is a spacer on the non-drive side that goes between the crank arm and the bearing that is meant to hold the bearing tight in the BB housing on the frame, its slightly conical shaped and must be installed with small end of the cone towards the bearing. If not, once you get any dust or dirt in there it will grind against the frame and make a noise that sounds as if your frame is coming apart while pedaling. Even installed correctly you will occasionally notice a slight bit of this when things are really dirty, but its really light and not too bad.
    3) Occasionally gets a bit of chain suck when dropping from middle ring to granny, more than my shimano did. I cant really say for sure if this is the crankset though. It could be that the derailleur is a little out of adjustment or mounted just a bit off on the frame, I havent really looked closely at that issue yet.
    4) I managed to grenade the granny ring that came on crankset, it really just exploded. I was climbing a short technical section in 1-4 when BANG, bye bye granny ring. Maybe all aluminum rings suffer this issue? I dont know but its the first time it happened to me and it was on this crankset.

Hope this was helpful
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30  Bearing Life ??-afterburner1.jpg  

BB30  Bearing Life ??-afterburner2.jpg  

All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    Overall, I would say this crankset is decent but does have a few drawbacks. If you're looking for a BB30 crankset though, its really your only option at a reasonable price. I think every other BB30 crankset is a lot closer to $500 or more while this one can be had for $300 or less.
    The bearings themselves are just sealed cartridge bearings and seem to be decent quality, good seals and roll smooth without any play in the BB(tight tolerance).
    Plusses
    1) Looks good, visually appealing
    2) Smooth bearings, good power delivery
    3) Simple to install and service, only requires one spanner wrench (which is included), an allen wrench, and possibly a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer.

Minuses
    It will seem like there is more to complain about than rave about, but this really isnt the case so much. You just tend to notice when things dont work and happily pedal along when things are working great.
    1) If the chain falls to the inside of the granny ring, the chain can get stuck between the frame and crankset. The granny ring bolts will hold the chain in between frame/crank and its tricky to get out, you have to undo your quicklink and fish it out. A little frustrating. You can see the area I'm talking about on the drive side in the first photo.
    2) There is a spacer on the non-drive side that goes between the crank arm and the bearing that is meant to hold the bearing tight in the BB housing on the frame, its slightly conical shaped and must be installed with small end of the cone towards the bearing. If not, once you get any dust or dirt in there it will grind against the frame and make a noise that sounds as if your frame is coming apart while pedaling. Even installed correctly you will occasionally notice a slight bit of this when things are really dirty, but its really light and not too bad.
    3) Occasionally gets a bit of chain suck when dropping from middle ring to granny, more than my shimano did. I cant really say for sure if this is the crankset though. It could be that the derailleur is a little out of adjustment or mounted just a bit off on the frame, I havent really looked closely at that issue yet.
    4) I managed to grenade the granny ring that came on crankset, it really just exploded. I was climbing a short technical section in 1-4 when BANG, bye bye granny ring. Maybe all aluminum rings suffer this issue? I dont know but its the first time it happened to me and it was on this crankset.

Hope this was helpful
    Thanks for taking the time writing this great in-depth response Buzzaro.

Your comments about reasonable priced BB30 cranksets are exactly what i have found. The Afterburner seems to be the only one currently on the market, and due to weight not being my biggest concern, and the high mileage rough riding i do, i don't really fancy spending big money on Cdale Hollowgrams or FSA K-force only from them to be mashed up a few weeks later.

I'm still undecided if i will take the BB30 route or continue with the external cups, as i might be better off in the long term fitting some Chris Kings or Hope cups. I have also yet to track down a local bike shop who has the tool to extract the BB30 adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I recently got a '10 Alloy Flash 29 as a warranty replacement for an '08 Caffeine F29er. I was just going to swap all parts over, but decided to take advantage of the BB30. Budget didn't allow a full BB30 crankset, so I settled on using the adapters shown in the following post with a Shimano SLX triple.

What BB adaptor for flash?
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    I think people have forgotten the biggest and most obvious complaint with outboard bearings: they're more exposed to the elements.

One of the biggest selling points behind bb30 is that they are in the frame, which "should" protect them better from water and grime...

LA CHÈVRE
    Inside or outside, bearings get contaminated by their sides so it doesn't change much.

I had one pair of BB30 bearings dying in a few weeks/months but they went through muddy hell, they actually started to corrode from water and dirt that got between them, inside the BB shell. When I took it all off, there was a puddle of dried dirt inside. They were Enduro Grade 5 Ceramic, Enduro replaced them free of charge and having a drain hole at the bottom of the BB shell could have helped, or taking it off and clean them right after a particularly muddy endurance race I had done...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    I think people have forgotten the biggest and most obvious complaint with outboard bearings: they're more exposed to the elements.

One of the biggest selling points behind bb30 is that they are in the frame, which "should" protect them better from water and grime...
    They have about the same exposure to the elements whether they are outboard or inside the BB shell, at least on the FSA's. It's still the outer seal of the bearing that provides the most protection in both cases. In the first picture I posted you can't quite see that outside of the bearing is just as exposed as an outboard bearing. But on both sides the outside of the bearing is right there.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the beauty of the bb30 for me is the bearings, they are a standard size, widely available, and relatively inexpensive compared with the outboard bearing.

mtbr member
    BB30 is also Lighter/stiffer. I've had my Si Hollowgram cranks for over 2 year and they have held up fine with plenty of abuse.

mtbr member
    What is the rough retail for Si Hollowgram cranksets in the US?

The only place in Europe i have seem them separately sold is on Dr.Cannondale, they sell them for 850.00 € ( $1,135.50 ) ouch !!!!

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage...roducts/KAMTB3

mtbr member
    I don't know what C/Dale sells their stuff in America, but it is designed to be overpriced. The problem with System Integration is that they want you to buy their bikes, not their parts.

Still, I think the hollowgram is made by FSA, so...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Crank arms for hollowgram are not made by FSA. They are made in the USA. System integration is a bold move at challenging the status quo and actually providing technical improvements that actually are based on sound engineering principals. That's the cost of progress. BTW, BB30 works so well that it is an industry standard now used by many different brands of bikes.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    I don't know what C/Dale sells their stuff in America, but it is designed to be overpriced. The problem with System Integration is that they want you to buy their bikes, not their parts.

Still, I think the hollowgram is made by FSA, so...
    Nope, FSA made the older SI Carbon cranks, not the Hollowgrams and the FSA BB30 cranks (as well as all their cranks) just can't compare with the Hollowgrams IMO, not as stiff, heavier, not cheap either...

Hollowgrams are made by Cannondale, they have 2 machines working pretty much night and day machining them and still can't get them out soon enough to meet demand. They take a while to make and are built no holds barred to be the best which they acheived so the price reflects that, quality, time, demand.

The rings are not made by Cannondale I think but they are not made by FSA either as they are US made, I have heard Salsa before but I'm not sure. Even the No-Nuts chainring bolts are a nice feature.

But, you are partly right, Cannondale is a bike company first, a component company second so they have always prioritized and favored whole bike sales over frames alone and parts.

mtbr member
    I think MSRP is about $775, the complete BB kit will run you another $100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nope, FSA made the older SI Carbon cranks, not the Hollowgrams and the FSA BB30 cranks (as well as all their cranks) just can't compare with the Hollowgrams IMO, not as stiff, heavier, not cheap either...

Hollowgrams are made by Cannondale, they have 2 machines working pretty much night and day machining them and still can't get them out soon enough to meet demand. They take a while to make and are built no holds barred to be the best which they acheived so the price reflects that, quality, time, demand.

The rings are not made by Cannondale I think but they are not made by FSA either as they are US made, I have heard Salsa before but I'm not sure. Even the No-Nuts chainring bolts are a nice feature.

But, you are partly right, Cannondale is a bike company first, a component company second so they have always prioritized and favored whole bike sales over frames alone and parts.

Are the current Cdale Si Carbon BB30 MTB Crank (the one down from Hollowgram) and the FSA K-FORCE LIGHT TRIPLE BB30 the same arm design, but re-branded ? From the pics i have been able to find, they do look very similar

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0
    Are the current Cdale Si Carbon BB30 MTB Crank (the one down from Hollowgram) and the FSA K-FORCE LIGHT TRIPLE BB30 the same arm design, but re-branded ? From the pics i have been able to find, they do look very similar
    As far as I know, they were not the same. But Cannondale doesn't have a mtb SI Carbon crankset anymore, maybe some leftovers from past years but they pop out often on ebay. They do have a carbon BB30 crankset but for road bikes only, the one on the SuperSix 2 but this one is a rebranded SRAM Red BB30.

mtbr member
    As far as I know, they were not the same. But Cannondale doesn't have a mtb SI Carbon crankset anymore, maybe some leftovers from past years but they pop out often on ebay. They do have a carbon BB30 crankset but for road bikes only, the one on the SuperSix 2 but this one is a rebranded SRAM Red BB30.

Ah ok. I asked cause the 2010 European Flash Hi-MOD 1 still ships with the SI Carbon 44/32/22t..

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Pr...Flash-Hi-MOD-1

mtbr member
    I'm sure you will agree the Crank arms are very similar, but are they the same?

mtbr member

Thanks for the 411.

On that note, I am going to call my buddy at CDale and see if I can replace the Afterburners on my Flash to Hollowgrams...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    I recently got a '10 Alloy Flash 29 as a warranty replacement for an '08 Caffeine F29er. I was just going to swap all parts over, but decided to take advantage of the BB30. Budget didn't allow a full BB30 crankset, so I settled on using the adapters shown in the following post with a Shimano SLX triple.

What BB adaptor for flash?
    What color scheme did they give you as a warranty replacement and how long did it take?

I cannot tell for sure, but I just noticed what could be the beginnings of a crack forming in my Caffeine. Jury is still out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast