mtbr member
    Jul 2009

BB30 adapter issues

Need help.
    I bought an '09 Rize one frame and assorted components to supplement the used parts from an
    '02 Jekyll. The new frame is BB30 and since money is tight, I bought a new SLX crankset w/ an adapter. I've had significant shifting problems over the last number of rides, so I invested in a GORE sealed shifter cabling system and replaced the XTR pulley wheels on my rear derailleur and still have problems with the cain jumping off the rear cogs. I'm beginning to think that the issue is chainline and that my bottom bracket is somehow spaced incorrectly or I may need to go ahead and invest in a true BB30 system. Anyone gone thru this?

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Although I can't help you, I'm sure somebody is going to request pictures of the BB install as it is right now.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I removed a Cannondale adaptor from our Flash to fit BB30 cranks.

The adaptor is just a bit of alloy with internal thread to allow external BB fitment, and is the exact same width as the BB shell on the frame.

If the adaptor you bought is the same width as the frame shell then I can't see that chainline would be an issue UNLESS you haven't fitted the correct plastic spacers when installing the external BB.

Generally there are two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side

Hope this helps

Roland
    Last edited by uhuforrest; 09-26-2010 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Roland. I did have the 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the other. I removed one on the drive side hoping to draw the chain more squarely onto the cog teeth. It didn't seem to do the trick. My rear derailleur, although old, is in good shape and the arm is not bent. New chain was installed a few weeks ago because the previous one twisted after 30 or so rides. Thanks again.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Sounds like a chain line issue, as a correctly installed BB30 adaptor should have no effect on that its self, as its the frame that dictates the BB with, not the adaptor.

Here's a picture that shows adaptor that was in my Rize frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 adapter issues-p10400892.jpg  

FIRENZE rulez !!
    a question :

Cannondale give us 2 versions of that adapter.

68 and 73mm . have you the right one for your frame ?

and more :

there is only one way to mount it correctly : check the groove in the adapter ; must be installed drive side
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When you installed your cranks, how many spacers did you use and on which side?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Adapter was installed correctly. Thanks for the response and photos. I'm beginning to think it can be fixed with spacers. Looking forward to being able to afford BB30 specific crankset.

Ridin' dirty!
    What kind of cassette do you use?
    What brand of shifters?
    Sram trigger shifters for example don't work correctly with shimano rear derailleurs....
    On some newer bikes you need to place a spacer on the freewheel body behind the cassette.
    You also mentioned using some parts from your old bike...is the cassette one of them....? If yes it might simply be worn....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I wasn't aware of the need for a spacer behind the cassette. That sounds like a possible fix.The cassettte is a sram 9 speed. Derailleurs, crankset, shifters are all Shimano. Beside the new SLX crankset and BB30 frame ('09 Rize One), components were the same and shifting was fine on '02 Jekyll.
    I look into the cassette spacers. Thanks for the feedback.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by katiediddler
    I wasn't aware of the need for a spacer behind the cassette. That sounds like a possible fix.The cassettte is a sram 9 speed. Derailleurs, crankset, shifters are all Shimano. Beside the new SLX crankset and BB30 frame ('09 Rize One), components were the same and shifting was fine on '02 Jekyll.
    I look into the cassette spacers. Thanks for the feedback.
    If the set-up was the same on your jekyll, don't mind the cassette spacers...
    Does it skip it every gear or only in certain ones?
    Also, check all of your pivots and make sure they're not lose and torqued to spec....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiediddler
    ... still have problems with the cain jumping off the rear cogs.
    did you adjust stop/limit screws on the derailleur?

EDIT: and can you explain more precisely how it is jumping off? what gears?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I played with the limiter screws on rear derailleur. Wasn't able to tune it properly. When shifting from the 7th cog up to the 8th, (in any of the front rings) it jumps to the 9th. The chain will not remain on the 9th and fluctuates between the 9th & 8th.

Ridin' dirty!
    I don't think it's your chainline then when it happens on any gear in the front that 8-9 skips in the rear......bring it to your lbs and have it properly adjusted and the derailleur hanger checked.
    There's a special tool for this and you be surprised how much headaches a minimal bent derailleur hanger can cause.....

mtbr member
    +1 ^. your derailleur is not setup properly or bent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    +1 ^. your derailleur is not setup properly or bent.

Another thought. Had the same "jumping" problem after cleaning my Rize today and found the derailleur cable was stretched, pulled it tighter by 5mm and all smoooooth again

Roland

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Took it lbs today and it was a simple fix. Cable had stretched. Didn't realize how badly it could after the first ride.
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

Ridin' dirty!