Thread: BB creak

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

BB creak

The BB is creaking on my Prophet. I think it just needs some grease but could it be something else? It usually starts after about 10-15 minutes of riding and slowly gets worse. Hard pedaling increases the creak- but since thats the only kind of pedaling I really do- it's a problem. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had similar problem on my Rush. I thought it was BB, but at the end it was somewhere in the rear suspension(swingarm, rear shock)
    At first I thought it was BB, because it creaked on every revolution of the same "spot". I dissasembled the BB few times, but no sucess. Then I dissasembled the rear end (swingarm and shck), and lubed everything, but it did not help. A friend of my that works in LBS got me some teflon spray, and I repeated the proces, this time with teflon spray. The same day still creaked, but the next day and onwards it was ok. Now I use teflon spray gor lubing everything .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have an '06 Rush with about 2k miles on it and it will develop a creak occasionally. Most of the time it goes away after washing it at the car wash (I am careful not to force the water into bearings on the bike). Sometimes I do have to remove the crank and clean it really well to eliminate the creak. I have only replaced the bb bearings twice and never found the creak to be in the bearings or cups. Its usually dirt on the spindle that causes the creak. Be sure to clean and check the big ring bolts also.

I haven't had a creak in the swingarm or shock and I have only removed the shock once to replace the dust wiper seal.

On the used '07 Carbon Rush I just bought I noticed a creak and finally figured out that it was the seat post/tube but a small amount of vasoline solved that noise.

gl1
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by haberd
    The BB is creaking on my Prophet. I think it just needs some grease but could it be something else? It usually starts after about 10-15 minutes of riding and slowly gets worse. Hard pedaling increases the creak- but since thats the only kind of pedaling I really do- it's a problem. Thanks in advance
    I've had this problem. What cranks and BB are on the bike? I've got a 2008 Prophet that came with a GXP BB and GXP2 cranks. Crappiest, crappy, crap crap that I've ridden. They flexed, groaned and squeaked all the time. A good greasing did not stop it. I changed to a set of XTs; problem solved.

got the dhr...
    Check on the right side of the frame, just forward of the swingarm, the rear derailer housing likes to rub on the cable boss right there. Give the bike a good wash, and put a few drops of lube there. If it still persists, then check out that your shock bolts aren't to tight (or loose) and while at that, you might as well try lubing the shock hardware, and anywhere else on the frame where metal meats metal (pivot points too!) for me so far that has solved most creaks, aside from the creak that comes from my headset

mtbr member
    Before you do anything else, there is a good chance it is the pedals, most people never look there, spend ages on the BB to never fix the problem. Pull off the pedals, clean the threads, re-grease and re-install. Good luck let us know if this was it!

mtbr member
    Also check those little bosses (or whatever they are called) that hold the cables on the down tube. I had what seemed like a BB creak, but found it was coming from that. A few drops of oil and it was cured. I know a few other prophet owners have posted the same problem/solution here too.

Later on I had some more creaking, turned out to be the swing arm pivot. I carefully cleaned it out with a tooth brush, being very careful to knock dirt out and not in. Then hit it with teflon spray and it's been fine ever since.

Incidentally, I love that teflon spray for general stuff around the house. Been using it for all the stuff I used to use WD40 for.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Unit 91
    Couple of things it could be:

Slightly loose bottom bracket or shot bottom bracket bearings.

Check your chainring bolts. My cranks started creaking BADDDDD and I could feel it in my non driveside crank. I thought it was my pedals....checked and it wasnt. Turns out my chainring bolts were alloy and werent torque'd down enough. But when I torque'd on them, I snapped the heads off. Moral of the story, use stainless chainring bolts.

Swap out your pedals if you can and see if you get the same creak.

Pivot bolt area...check for tightness and well greased.

Check your DU bushings and regular bushings for tightness.

It could be a number of things. When I get a bad creak like this I normally start a checklist and cross them off when I find out its not that. Works for me. Good luck.
    Bikes

mtbr member

Creak-n-dale

I thought all Cannondales creaked like this(hence the name, Creak-n-dale) My Gemini does it and my previous Super V did it. Removing the BB and greasing it up was usually a quick, temporary fix until it started again. I thought maybe it was the wet conditions from Northeastern PA riding, until the issue followed me out here to San Diego. Anyway, good luck with that.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    maybe , only bearings to be replaced ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My 2005 Prophet was doing this off and on for awhile. It has the Truvativ Blaze crankset with ISIS GigaPipe SL BB. Back in May, I was riding and noticed it was slightly louder than usual.

I didn't have a tool to remove the BB, so I headed to LBS to buy a tool. Figured I let the mechanic take a look at it while I was there. As I was lifting the bike out of the back of my truck, don't know how I saw it, but I noticed the BB shell was cracked. Crack started on the drive side and went straight into and up the seat tube. I now have a warranty replacement frame with a new BB.

No creaking from the BB. Just the seat and pedals. I've become a "crazy bolt torquer" with my new torque wrench. Proper bolt torque and grease or loctite have eliminated most of the creaking.

mtbr member
    You should be thanking someone or something for spotting that crack! Sounds like that may have saved you from being layed up in a bodycast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, I'm thankful that catastrophic failure didn't occur while riding. I was actually pre-riding the course of a local XC race that was being held the next day. I didn't have a rideable, back-up bike to race, so I rented a Specialized FSR Expert for the day from the LBS and finished 1st in Beg Vet II (40-44). Nice bike, but I'd still rather race my Prophet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had a creak that I thought was coming from my BB but turned out to be my headset bearing cups shifting around. Re-pressed them and the creak went away for a couple months or so. Just did it again, but a trip to whistler later they are creaking once more. It's annoying but I'm pretty well used to it now...

mtbr member
    I've been living with these creaks and funny noises for the past 12 years. I'm certainly used to it, but am forever trying to eliminate them. The BB still makes noises, while I just muted the creak coming from the seat/post area. I upgraded to a Thompson setback and a new FUNN full throttle saddle(sweet upgrade). Needless to say, there's no more creak in the seat. That's an added comfort in my life, for now.

mtbr member
    I have a 07 Prophet 4 with the FSA V-Drive crank set; My bike started to do the same thing. After checking everything on the bike, it was the crank-arms causing the noise. The center cap nut or screw would loosen up after 7 hours of riding. All I do is, every so often, loosen the crank arm bolts, then re torque the center cap.

mtbr member
    Creaking sounds coming from your bike can be caused by anything. Prophets had a call-back on a certain series of swingarms which would develop a creak caused by the way in which they were welded. Maybe theres something similar happening to the Rush. Check Cannondales website. Cracks also like to creak. Also as a mechanic Ive come across many bikes which would develop a creaking sound after a few miles which was caused by the rear wheel/dropouts or the headset. Frames resonate these sounds all over the place so its really hard to tell where they're coming from. good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon858
    I thought all Cannondales creaked like this(hence the name, Creak-n-dale)
    No, it is because they crack! Oh...this is not a Specialized forum?
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!