mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Bam!! sound from speed SL lockout lever

Received my carbon speed SL back from Cannondale yesterday and put in on my bike last night. All set up ready to test it out...

I began to move the lockout lever to figure out locked/unlocked (they moved the start position of this lever). It was incredibly hard to move it, lots of resistance so I figured I'll move it back and forth a couple of times so I began, locked/unlocked, locked/unlocked - suddenly bam - a loud sharp single noise came from the shock - just like the sound of a wheel spoke breaking - you know, something under tension that releases suddenly. What the heck??!?

Any clues to what might have caused it?? The lockout lever was easier to move afterwards and I pushed down on the fork, seems to be fine, but that sound was very disconcerting.

mad aussie
    Impossible to say without taking the shock apart. I wonder if some loctite was spilt on the lockout mechanism and you broke it loose when you turned the shock?
    Thats why I bought myself a castle tool and appropriate sockets so I can do any and all work on the Lefty myself. The lefty internals are dead simple inside.

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    If it was very hard to turn before, Flying Wombat's theory of some Loctite blocking the movement could be right. You know, a drop of Loctite where it's not supposed to be, that sound could very well being the Loctite breaking loose so you may have fixed it. Is your lock-out working properly now? I mean, not only the lever's movement but does it actually locks out the Lefty when you turn it? And the rebound?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys for the responses. Yes, the lockout and rebound adjuster works fine now. Maybe it was locktite breaking free - good though. However it wasn't that I couldn't move the lever before, if was just incredibly hard to move, but I did manage to do so about twice, back and forth before the pop! Not sure now what to do though. I guess if it feels ok, I should be ok? Just still quite disconcerting.