mtbr member

BadBoy rim question

Hi!

I finished building up my F4000 (1999) as my XC and now started to build the other F4000 (2006) as a BadBoy.

But I am confused at the point what rims I should seek for the tire I'm about to order.
    It's a pair of 700 x 28c Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran..

Can you please suggest some rims to go with these tires?

I'm more than confused by the different rim sizes around.
    It's a very informative site but, unfortunately, after reading the sheldonbrown site, I understand that I'll be never be able to understand anything about these rim sizes.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How much do you weigh? You will be looking for a road racing rim with a width from about 15mm to 19mm. Don't get a touring rim. That would be too wide for that tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have you tried Mavic "Speed City"? I had mine for the past four years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumGrove
    How much do you weigh? You will be looking for a road racing rim with a width from about 15mm to 19mm. Don't get a touring rim. That would be too wide for that tire.
    Hey, PlumGrove!

(Thanks for the response.)

I'm 85 kg. Now looking for some rims with the width of 15 mm to 19 mm.
    But it's still confusing. I checked the DT Swiss rims on chainreactioncycles (the description on that site is better than DT Swiss' own site, though. However, it's still not enough).

If you check this link you'll see it writes 19.4 mm for the profile width.

I just want to ask if I'm on the right track. "Profile width" is the thing I should check in the first place, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pulsarxxx
    Have you tried Mavic "Speed City"? I had mine for the past four years.
    Thank you, pulsarxxx, for the suggestion. Assuming you're a BadBoy rider, what tire are you using on it?
    And is this the rim you wrote above?

Other possible readers of this post,

Can you also suggest a specific rim brand and model for a 700 x 28c?
    (And I know it's not the place but are 700 x 28c and 700c x 28 the same?)

Thanks

mtbr member
    I actually didn't have to do any of the research on the wheels because they came on the bike new in 2005:

RIMS: Mavic CXP22, 32 Hole
    HUBS: Cannondale Fire Disc
    SPOKES: DT Champion (black)
    Tires: Specialized Armadillo Elite 700x23

I Highly, HIGHLY recommend the Armadillo Elites... not cheap at $50 each, but you can literally ride through PILES of Glass (no joke)... & when you factor in the cost of all the repair kits & replacement tubes you WON'T need, they are a DEAL... don't let the few extra grams fool you: these tires are very fast... you will definitely NOT need puncture-resistant tubes (big-time overkill if running Armadillos)...

With regard to size, 700x23... I can tell you here in Florida, I do all fast "road bike" riding... these are NOT good for sand, thick gravel, or dirt... you can get through a bit of it, but unless your commutes/rides are 95% blacktop, you are more than likely on a better course with the 700x28... You CAN get Armadillos in 700x28, the "Nimbus" (i think... you'll have to check into this one)... all of this being said, I used the same setup with regular 700x23 Armadillos (not the Elites at that time) to commute 17 miles across the Golden Gate bridge & through San Francisco on MUCH harsher roads with no problems for several years...

They only thing I did to my rims was paint the silver braking area flat black (obviously not used on the Ultra disc brake model) & remove all decals... & if I had built these wheels, I would probably do the exact same (very strong & reliable), but I would have used black nipples instead of the silver... (deep red would look cool too, depending on your taste)...

Hope this Helps! =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Don,

I'm riding Badboy Ultra 2006, changed my wheels to Mavic Speedcity with Continental Gatorskin 700 x 25.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a BadBoy SS with Mavic open pro. I have ridden Fourseason, Sport contact and now Nokia Hakkapelitta 290 for winter.

Open pro are a great rim.

/Fredde

mtbr member
    Dear 2005BadBoyUltra, pulsarxxx and fredde_nu,

Sorry for my late response due to being out of town.
    Thanks a lot for your replies! It's great to have plenty of information about my questions, thanks to you all!

I'll let you know about the progress and the result of the new build on this page soon or in a near future.

mtbr member
    Hey don qvixote:
    Hope you can put some of the information to good use... can't wait to see the results!

You may find this page interesting...
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...0_Flat&eid=355

Apparently the All-Condition Armadillo Elite DOES come in 700x28... I have never seen for sale in anything but 700x23, but I can DEFINITELY vouch for this tire... AWESOME protection & Fast...

However, as I mentioned in my email, if you are biking over packed gravel, packed dirt, or basically anything other than 98% pavement, you may be on a better path with something like the Nimbus... another thing to note: I don't think the Nimbus is available with black sidewalls (comes in Maroon)... aesthetically, you may want to see if you can find a black sidewall tire you that satisfies your needs... Using a black Sharpie on the entire sidewall of two tires can be a real pain! (I've actually done this on one set of tires...lol) I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the 700c Armadillos... nothing but good experiences with them on my end...

=)