Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Bad Lefty Failure..

First, The last thing I want this to turn into is a Lefty bashing thread.. I have two lefty's myself and dont see that changing. I did want to put this out there to see if: 1) anyone has seen anything like this before 2) in the event this happens to anyone again.

I wasnt present when this occurred, but have met the racers and other racers who were present. It occurred during a state XC racing series (FSC/ Florida State Championship racing series) at Ft Clinch State Park, Fernandina Beach, FL. The racer was going "downhill" (a term I use loosely since this IS Florida after all, and it was an XC race).

The racer was in Cat 2 40-49. He was injured; fracturing his sternum, jaw, and a vertebrae, along with breaking at least one of his teeth. He was airlifted from the scene and required surgery.

He was riding a 2011 or 2012 29er Scalpel with an aluminum Lefty.

Now if youre familiar with a Lefty, you know that particular area of the clamp appears to have holes on the underside, maybe to shed more weight? A picture of the underside of the clamps from my own personal bike:

So has anyone ever seen a failure like this? When I heard the failure, then saw the pictures, I was surprised as it was not where I would have expected.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ride the same bike and would like to hear from Cannondale on this!

Nor­wegr
    I've pictured something like that happening when riding, but never seen or heard about anything remotely like it until now. My oldest lefty is a 2004 and it works like a charm.

More pics of the damage and of where it happened would be needed to even make an uneducated guess.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine sent me this pic knowing I have a Lefty on my Flash Carbon 29r. I still feel there is more to this story then what we actually know about. I am guessing that he either hit something before the fall at speed, or the fork was damaged in someway before this race. I have a hard time believing it just broke causing the fall. I hope there is a way we can eventually get the full story. I know I will be checking out my fork before every ride, but I am not going to be afraid to ride it at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    More information will surface with time. Unfortunately the rider is still in the hospital. The only updates are of his medical status. Im sure once he is out and mobile again, we will have additional pictures and information. Since it was the first lap of a 3 lap race, he was probably in a pack, so there might even be video of the incident.

here is a video of a race from the prior year, so you can get an idea of what the terrain is like: FSC#2 Ft Clinch State Park - Fernandina Beach, Expert FL 40 to 49 - YouTube
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ouch.

My only guess would be that someone over tightened the ever lovin' piss out of the clamp bolts.

If tight is good, tighter still, is always better, right??????

Between folks tightening their hubs on so hard that they pull the helicoil out, to clamps developing cracks at the bolt holes from the same thing, yeah, over tightening is my bet.

Never seen a failure like that, now I can say I have!

Glad the guy is okay overall though.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Let the mass hysteria begin.

mtbr member
    Looking at the video I doubt it was anything to do with the course. I would be more inclined to think it was what Mendoncycle said. Again, we have to wait this out. Hopefully the guy comes out of this with no issues.

Helmetless Crasher
    Interesting failure. Glad the rider is "OK".

I have the same fork, weigh about 220 geared-up and have bombed (and crashed) fairly gnarly DH repeatedly with it. Bent a front wheel. Zero indication of damage to the Lefty, though.

My crazy out of left field BS bogus nonsensical hypothesis:
    Over time, the brake hose rubbed a divot into the Lefty "triple clamp" creating a stress riser that ultimately resulted in the failure.

More likely - as Mendon said: over-trq'ed the clamps to all hell.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Let the mass hysteria begin.
    OMG...................OMG........................O MG
    My lefty is dangerous, must selllllllllllllllllllll
    I have a 2006 carbon max with 140 mm travel upgrades to 2012 internals. I will let it go for $4,200. Please don't ask for free shipping as that is as low as I can go.

-
    -
    -
    -

Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    If someone removed the travel limiting spacers, tire could have jammed into the bottom of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Crazy... I was racing there as well that day. Apparently it was making a minor clicking noise and then gives out....Head impact and then black out. The hills on this course are at best 6' at the highest point. My elevation profile on strava looks like a bunch of little speed bumps. Lots of sand and roots, but nothing that I would think that could cause it to snap apart like that despite how poor of a line one chose. Unfortunately, one of those "1/1,000,000" failures.

o░<o NYC pebble jumper!
    After watching that video... definitely do not feel there was anything significant on the trail that would cause failure.

I would also be lead to believe that the failure of the part was due to poor negligence of the bike.

mtbr member
    the man that this happened to is James Miller: https://www.facebook.com/j4m3z He was banged up prity bad but is recovering from the crash. Send him some love and well wishes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    whatever the cause - i hope the chap has a good recovery, and gets out riding again very soooooon!!!

good luck man.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post

I would also be lead to believe that the failure of the part was due to poor negligence of the bike.
    And you know that how?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

o░<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Sorry... should I have first put up several hundred posts before my opinion is of worth?
    Or should my qualifications in metals be questioned?

I'm not an MTBR pro. I don't have enough posts here to prove that.

However I have worked with enough metals when I worked with manufacturing and designing of race engine parts. Even through the rigors of mountain biking, the metal isn't subject to extreme tolerances where the aluminum is consistantly being heated and cooled. With forged aluminum, the metal is not heated and cast. It is milled out of raw blocks of aluminum which there would be no air pockets in between the metal. So the only things that would cause forged pieces to fail are excessive stress placed onto the metal itself.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sorry...
    Any Lefty failure discussion = flame, Sideknob = moth.

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

No good in rock gardens..
    Sorry... should I have first put up several hundred posts before my opinion is of worth?
    Or should my qualifications in metals be questioned?

I'm not an MTBR pro. I don't have enough posts here to prove that.

However I have worked with enough metals when I worked with manufacturing and designing of race engine parts. Even through the rigors of mountain biking, the metal isn't subject to extreme tolerances where the aluminum is consistantly being heated and cooled. With forged aluminum, the metal is not heated and cast. It is milled out of raw blocks of aluminum which there would be no air pockets in between the metal. So the only things that would cause forged pieces to fail are excessive stress placed onto the metal itself.
    You have not even examined the item in question. Have you seen detailed photos of it? I'm just interested in why you think the guy hasn't maintained his fork. If you make a remark like that it's fair for people to ask why you have formed that opinion.

Mendon - as you know I'm not a Lefty kiss-ass like some. Lefty is great. I love mine.

When it's working....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Not dead yet, just playin
    I don't think lack of maintenance caused the issue. I think lack of appropriate knowledge on how tight the clamp bolts should be caused the issue. Obviously the clamps sheered off. The big question is why. If the clamps were too loose, its immediately noticeable when you try to turn the front wheel. If the clamps waaaaay over torqued, you'd conceivably start making cracks on the opposite side of the clamps. What I can't get my head around is how tight that must've been. In order to break the clamps like that you'd have to tighten the bolts to the point where the entire face of the open end of the clamp is jammed up against the other side. You'd really have to work at it...
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Regardless of what caused it, I hope the guy makes a full recovery!!

Question, how many people have just walked through to the other room and checked there Lefty Clamps??

mtbr member
    I had two titanium rods with associated screws installed along my spine to stabilize and fix a crushed T6 vertebrae. I'm recovering one day at a time. Cannondale is sending an engineer who is literally on his way to my house as I write this to take pictures of the bike. The medical prognosis is that I should make a complete recovery, albeit with a lifetime of airport metal detector hassles from now on. Not sure if I'll race again, but I will definitely ride again. To answer the question that people seem to have most: The fork just failed. I was in 4th place after getting a decent hole shot in the beginning and was flying along normally and then I woke up on the ground with another rider pouring water on my face. I don't know what happened, but it happened. I didn't torque the **** out of the bolts. I've been racing and riding for years and am not a newbie to any of this. It's just a very unfortunate, and life-altering, catastrophic failure. Metallurgical reports might reveal more about how it might have occurred. I'll post updates when I have any. Thank you to everyone who has shown concern for my well being. The cycling community has been very supportive and so far Cannondale is showing a willingness to accept responsibility and step up with paying medical expenses. I'll certainly keep everyone posted about that aspect of it as well. There are definitely more negotiations about money in the future. My only hope is that they negotiate in good faith. I was doing nothing but riding the bike in the manner for which it was designed. It was professionally maintained as I am a sponsored by my bike shop who is a well-known local Cannondale dealer here in South Florida. Thanks to Jim's Bicycles in Deerfield Beach for all the support over the years.

mtbr member
    I wonder if for your own sake, you should delete the legal obligation stuff towards Cannondale.
    You don't want to disclose info or make assumptions on a message board. It might bite you in the a$$ later on. : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by j4m3z View Post
    I had two titanium rods with associated screws installed along my spine to stabilize and fix a crushed T6 vertebrae. I'm recovering one day at a time.
    Sending you best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

mtbr member

Re: Bad Lefty Failure..

Good luck with your recovery...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast