FIRENZE rulez !!

bad crash !! Lefty separated while riding

just saw on a italian mtb forum

grave incidente con lefty carbon - Mountain bike | MTB-forum.it

just a fast stranslation of the accident.

2 guys riding togheter.

taurine rider say "stop a while, my lefty lockout lever does not work "

some trial , not working

on the slow restart, after few meters , there is the lower leg of the fork separating from the upper part.

very fast happening , so rider can not put the hands to absorbe ground impact .

very bad crash of the rider on the ground: some fractures on the face bones , problems on some teeth, eyes with some damage too

investigating now on the 2007 recall of the SL Lefties , if done or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

FIRENZE rulez !!
    any other case like this ?

mtbr member
    Dame! that sucks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    any other case like this ?
    eons ago when i raced there was a really bad crash at a state race where the upper and lower parts if the lefty separated like in the photos while the racer was on a high speed section thus sending him violently over the bars and to the hospital. I can’t recall the year but it was somewhere around 06’ I think at Warda TX and the guy was on the BikeLane team outta the Woodlands TX Somehow it was part failure and he ended up getting a new lefty outta it and I think a new cannondale road bike. But this could be urban legend perhaps someone from Texas might know whom the guy was and fill in the gaps.

Sorry about the accident my carbon steerer (Easton ex90x) broke on my CX bike during a training ride last July lucky we were slowing down for a stop light when it happened and all I ended up with was some nasty road rash.

LA CHÈVRE
    I heard of one case years ago, turned out the Lefty had not been put back together correctly after a self-service if I recall...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bad - I hope there was compensation and a new ALLOY Lefty.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The damper unscrewed from the lower, plain and simple.

If the fork's never been apart since new, I'd say it was long overdue for a check as far as snugging up stuff.

The recall was centered around improper loctite application and might have helped if it had been done. But stuff does loosen up with trail time.

Sorry to hear about the crash, hope the guy makes a swift recovery!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ballbuster
    Yikes!

Yeah, probably a good idea to check the snugnes of that nut during each oil change... or something. The layout of the innards are still a bit of a mystery to me. Then again, if the nut is loctited in place, snugging it up might break the loctite bond.

I dunno... Mendon is the real expert on these things.

Fortunately, it seems like these kind of incidents are flukes. The only other Lefty failure I heard of was that one where the needle bearings fell out and the lower was flopping around in the upper.... probably due to improper reassembly after a self service.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Is it just me....

Or does that upper tube look awfully clean and in perfect shape. I know that if that happened where I live and the fork completely separated, that upper tube would be beat to hell, likely broken and full of dirt.
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

Music & Bikes
    And I wonder : for the lower part to get out without the top part being completly destroyed , there has to be major 'air borne' implied ........

I can visualise the scene
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    moral of the story

If your lefty starting exhibiting signs of a failure.. dont keep riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What kind of signs should we watch out for ? if anyone knows , post up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had a clunking during compressions - got a rebuild it stopped

Why it's clean? It looks like that is a post crash, back at the house pic, an it was likely wiped down, just a guess.

Top end separation without total destruction. The way it failed gave the lower end a massive pressurized separation, se the plug at the end of the lower? That's the air piston, which is at the bottom end of the damper, which is still inside the upper. Basically, the damper unscrewed, which allowed the lower to pull free from the upper, with the air spring providing a healthy powerful boost to the separation process, yikes.

What to look for? Odd feelings, clunking that won't fix itself with a reset, things like that.

More than anything, this strongly points out the value in having any fork serviced once a year or so, not just Leftys. So many dual sliders are held together with aluminum bolts nowadays, and aluminum does fail more easily than steel, and things ridden hard, for many cycles, do loosen over time, Loctite, lock washers, proper torque, all these are not guarantees. A cautionary tale if ever there was one.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here at Mendoza- Argentina, had that same result. The bicycles was a Rush Carbon 1 2007, and the dealer did not tell the owner about the recall, so after 20 months of riding and some races the lefty separated while riding. Lucky the rider had some minor scratches. The lefty was replaced with a new one.

No good in rock gardens..
    My Lefty DLR110 has just done this - the lower didn't come out but there was huge lateral play and I had to walk home. Second failure of this fork in about 9 months. There will be some interesting scenes when I wheel the Rush back into the LBS again tomorrow....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Crazy!

Crazy is right. I am glad I was on a fairly slow section of singletrack when it happened. I heard a "clang" from the Lefty and the front immediately felt floppy. So I got off and sure enough, the lower was flopping around inside the upper. I'm glad I was on the return side of the loop...

Took the floppy Lefty into the LBS today who were somewhat puzzled by it all - I'm waiting on a call from them. As I said, the fork was serviced after its last failure about 9 months ago and has hardly been thrashed. Last time it took 5 weeks to get it back!

ATM, I am not a happy Cannondale rider...

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    fork was serviced after its last failure about 9 months ago and has hardly been thrashed. Last time it took 5 weeks to get it back!
    What failed last time? Same thing? Shouldn't take that long to get your fork fixed, you need a better shop. One that isn't puzzled by the obvious either, would help. Basically, you broke a bearing cage, or, better said, it disintegrated. Why? Couple thoughts. Bad bearing cage to begin with (happens) overly aggressive and frequent bearing resets, or, bad migration that was allowed to run, without ever getting reset. There's an answer, and if it's happened once already, there's an answer that might involve you as well. No finger pointing, just working through all the possibilities as presented.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    What failed last time? Same thing? Shouldn't take that long to get your fork fixed, you need a better shop. One that isn't puzzled by the obvious either, would help. Basically, you broke a bearing cage, or, better said, it disintegrated. Why? Couple thoughts. Bad bearing cage to begin with (happens) overly aggressive and frequent bearing resets, or, bad migration that was allowed to run, without ever getting reset. There's an answer, and if it's happened once already, there's an answer that might involve you as well. No finger pointing, just working through all the possibilities as presented.
    Last time, the lockout and rebound went. No lockout, no rebound. Total pogo stick. The fork was about one month outside of warranty.

Either way, I have had enough of the Lefty.

You know what it's like when you lose faith in something - it's hard to get that faith back and in this case I don't think I'll even bother trying. I'll always be wondering "what next?"

The irony in all this is that I chose the Rush because the low maintenance single pivot design appealed to me. As it turns out, all the problems have come from the other end of the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Last time, the lockout and rebound went. No lockout, no rebound. Total pogo stick. The fork was about one month outside of warranty.

Either way, I have had enough of the Lefty.

You know what it's like when you lose faith in something - it's hard to get that faith back and in this case I don't think I'll even bother trying. I'll always be wondering "what next?"

The irony in all this is that I chose the Rush because the low maintenance single pivot design appealed to me. As it turns out, all the problems have come from the other end of the bike!
    Bummer, well the damper caps coming loose is a fairly common issue, and one that makes it really nice to have a shop that works on them, since it's a quick fix, in and of itself.

The separation is far less common. What you have, with the busted bearing cage is also very uncommon. I see perhaps one or two every couple years, out of the hundreds of forks I service every year.

You might want to be careful, sounds like the odds aren't in your favor currently, play it safe, stay home and drink beer.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Thanks. I'll do what I did last time the Lefty died - get Mr Reliable Hardtail down and ride that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I happened to me on the same exact bike from the original post. Mine happened during a race and I broke my collarbone.

This was a defect from cannondale it part of their recall. Same as others, dealer did not contact me so now setup Google alerts to track any posting of recalls. Cannondale replaced theentire bike and frame and did a stand-up job taken care of everything.

To my delight, I got a call from the LBS stating that my Lefty was back, and Cannondale Australia had repaired it under warranty. Which I'm very happy with as it was out of warranty by quite some time. Fork now seems to lock out properly now, with no top end clunk. This was all done much faster than last time, too.

mtbr member
    Oh god mio that pain.
    We are riders on our mounts of two wheels, by Catxl.