Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bad crash. Bike not a single scratch.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  leoferus 
#1 · (Edited)
Thursday I've had a very bad accident with my F29 c3. The impact has been tremendous. I was crusing on a marina pier and I was actually speeding quite a bit. I'm used to the area so yes,I was speeding. In a matter of half a second I found myself on the ground,my face was bleeding pretty bad and I was asking myself " what the hell appened ? ". The marina pier have some benches facing the open sea,those benches are surrounded by a bunch of concrete bricks to avoid moped,cars and in this case bikes to run them over. I was keeping and eye on a 5 years old kid on a bike,did not see the obstacle coming,felt overly confident. Bunch of stitches,swollen face etc etc,I'll be all right.

Ok let's get down to the bike : I've noticed a couple of scratches one the carbon bar and that's it. Did not even bent the rim ( good habit of keeping a higher pressure). A couple of days later found the OPI stem a bit loose,grabbed the tool and fixed it. And yes,blood all over the bike. We all know that carbon fiber does not give you any signal before cracking ,so should I just keep riding my bike as I used to ? I mean..I was shocked..not even a single scratch on the frame...nothing. They say one should replace a carbon bar after and impact but again there's only a couple of scratches in there.
Suggestions ? Experiences ?

#2 ·
I've crashed my bike a few times, smashed up levers etc. But the frame and fork has always been sound.

Give your frame a very thorough going over, make sure that there aren't any cracks etc. The next time you ride your bike, take it easy, really feel and listen to it as your riding. Investigate and creaking or play (if there is any). You will probably notice the odd mark when you're cleaning the blood off of it :)

It's probably absolutely fine. The strength of those frames is quite remarkable. I think (touch wood) I'd have to try VERY hard or be VERY unlucky to significantly damage my frame.

#4 · (Edited)
I've crashed my bike a few times, smashed up levers etc. But the frame and fork has always been sound.

Give your frame a very thorough going over, make sure that there aren't any cracks etc. The next time you ride your bike, take it easy, really feel and listen to it as your riding. Investigate and creaking or play (if there is any). You will probably notice the odd mark when you're cleaning the blood off of it :)

It's probably absolutely fine. The strength of those frames is quite remarkable. I think (touch wood) I'd have to try VERY hard or be VERY unlucky to significantly damage my frame.
Yeah I've been testing it with a few spins in the garage and it seems fine. I actually think that the loosen OPI was there even before the accident because now the bike turns even more sharply. Did some stoppies (wtf am I doing so soon.....?? ) and the bike is there,not missing a beat so far.

#5 ·
I'm sure it's fine. A crash does funny things to your mindset.

My mate wiped a couple of weeks ago whilst leading a race, the next race he entered he didn't perform well. Even though he'd been training on his bike fine. It's purely psychological.

Just bare in mind that you've had a knock and take it easy. You'll be fine :)

#6 ·
Took it for a spin and rode to the "crime scene". Rain washed blood away. Damn I feel quite stiff I should say. Could care the less to speed up,played with a couple of steps but I really felt stiff,something in my brain was holding me back. I'm gonna start to ride again in a couple of days with my road bike,then mtb full and then hopefully back to rip again like crazy with my F29.

#7 ·
Don't worry too much about that. Take it easy, and do what you feel comfortable doing. I broke my back once, when I crashed on a descent on a training ride. I took it easy on the descents for a while :) I probably still do, I'm still working on it. It's 3 years ago.

You'll be fine I'm sure :)

#8 ·
I'd replace the bar. Other than that, do what others have recommended. Just look the bike over well the next few times you go out. I've crashed this weekend at Patapsco and my bike received no scratches. I ended up with bruised ribs. Managed a 5th place finish in my class.

If you really don't feel comfortable riding that frame anymore, don't send it to that guy that posted above. I'll take care of it. I'll even pay the shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.