Thread: Bad Boy Ultra

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Bad Boy Ultra

So I got my first Cannondale about two weeks ago: a 2007 Bad Boy Ultra.

It's an amazing ride. Just wondering who else on the forum has a BBU and what's been your experience?

I'm particularly interested in some of the technical nitty gritty that doesn't come with the manual. Anyone know what this bike weighs?

Also, what have you done in terms of upgrades? I'm looking at possibly getting Mavic Speedcity wheels and Juicy hydraulic disc brakes.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Hey there. I have an 06 BBU, and so does my wife. We love 'em.

Mine weighs about 23.5 lbs (size XL). I've made the following changes:

Cassette -- XT 760 32T (200 grams savings on that alone! Nashbar has 'em for $45.)
    Brakes -- XT 4 piston hydros. Basically 1/2 size motorcycle brakes. They stop me from crazy speeds, and do so quickly and safely.
    Seatpost -- Karbona. Lighter, and absorbs vibration.
    Handlebar -- Easton CF. Lighter, and absorbs vibration.
    Grips -- Ergon. THE moist comfortable grips out there. Period.
    Seat: WTB Laser Ti. Much more comfortable than the stock Viper, and 130 grams lighter, too!
    Pedals: Forte combo clipless/platform. Clip in for longer rides, or wear flip flops for short hops around the city. (The 06 didn't come with pedals; I think the 07 does, right?)

Oh, and get a set of mountain wheels/tires, too. The bike's a blast off-road, too. You can get Mavic 317/XT hub wheelsets for $150 or so.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the quick and extremely informative reply! I'm going to look into some of these changes ... maybe even upgrade my wife to a BBU. Your his and her BBU setup must look great on the road!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoringyogi
    Thanks for the quick and extremely informative reply! I'm going to look into some of these changes ... maybe even upgrade my wife to a BBU. Your his and her BBU setup must look great on the road!
    Oh yeah, we sure do! Here they are:

And BTW, here's some of the upgrades (my wife's BBU has a full XT/hydro setup)

My brakes:

My grips/handlebar:

My seatpost:

My wife's XT dual control hydro levers and her CF handlebar and Ergon grips:

My wife's brakes:

Seeya!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

05 Bbu

Here's mine. Change the crank brakes and bought a fat tire of offroad use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey noticed you have a chain stay protector. How useful are those and where can I get a Cannondale one?

I'm still trying to pinpoint what makes the *klink* sound in back when I ride off a curb. Is the chain hitting the frame, derailluer or something else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Piece of trivia: According to the Cannondale rep I spoke with today, a 2007 BBU (size medium) weighs in at 26.58lbs.

Anyone know where to go (in the DC area) to weigh an entire bike? I'm curious what my size large weighs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoringyogi
    Piece of trivia: According to the Cannondale rep I spoke with today, a 2007 BBU (size medium) weighs in at 26.58lbs.

Anyone know where to go (in the DC area) to weigh an entire bike? I'm curious what my size large weighs.
    Got a bathroom scale? Weigh yourself. Then weigh yourself while holding the bike off the ground. Subtract the 2nd from the 1st. Voila!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's brilliant!! Thanks.

(A bit embarrased I didn't think of that...) :-)

Dan