Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Black paint on rims of Bad Boy worn by V brakes

Hi everybody

I recently purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy 2010 V brake which I absolutely love.

The problem is that even though I have only been riding it for a couple of months where the brake pads come in contact with the rims the colour has worn away and they now have great big silver circles which ruin the look of the bike what with it being an all black bike..

Is this normal? is it not possible to use v brakes with black rims without ruining the colour?

Have any of you had the same problem?

Thanks
    Last edited by 52oundz; 06-30-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Strange poster seems to think original title offended V Brakes and good Technicians...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I picked up a Bad Boy today & had my mind set on the V Brake until I saw your post.
    I asked in my LBS & they confirmed that it is normal for the brake to remove the paint from the rim over time.
    Not great news for you but I kind of owe you a thanks for the heads up.

I ended up with a custom Bad Boy Disc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh well! At least my post did some good!

I wish I had gone for the disc version. You are going to love this bike, I cant get enough of it, I find myself taking the longest possible root to were I'm going just for the ride.

I just wish I had the disc version cause this has spoiled the look of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 52oundz View Post
    Hi everybody

I recently purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy 2010 V brake which I absolutely love.

The problem is that even though I have only been riding it for a couple of months where the brake pads come in contact with the rims the colour has worn away and they now have great big silver circles which ruin the look of the bike what with it being an all black bike..

Is this normal? is it not possible to use v brakes with black rims without ruining the colour?

Have any of you had the same problem?

Thanks
    So basically, you are agonizing that your rims dont match the color of your bike. and how old are you? Cheer up man, V-brakes are lighter, cheaper, easier to fix, easier to find for sale, easier to install and less problematic than disc brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You might have had the incorrect rim installed at the factory.....normally all v brake bikes' rims come with a machined / silver braking surface. if you had all black rims it could mean the rims are disc specific and would then not be designed for the forces of the v brake squishing them...this could lead to a very abrupt failure and possibly to a bad crash.
    I would go back to the LBS where you bought it and ask him to have a look.

either that or make sure your dental insurance is paid up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    So basically, you are agonizing that your rims dont match the color of your bike. and how old are you? Cheer up man, V-brakes are lighter, cheaper, easier to fix, easier to find for sale, easier to install and less problematic than disc brakes.
    Actually Im 40 years old there is no need to make insults like that, and yes I would like my bike to be all black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    You might have had the incorrect rim installed at the factory.....normally all v brake bikes' rims come with a machined / silver braking surface. if you had all black rims it could mean the rims are disc specific and would then not be designed for the forces of the v brake squishing them...this could lead to a very abrupt failure and possibly to a bad crash.

No they are v brake rims, they have proper braking surface which was once black! actually I will post some pics later on

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Actually Im 40 years old there is no need to make insults like that, and yes I would like my bike to be all black.
    I'm with you - surely most people like the way their bike looks?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post

Non-machined sidewall rim brake rims are common, especially for lower pricepoints. The bike was speced with all black rims and the wear is normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggzy View Post
    I'm with you - surely most people like the way their bike looks?
    Yes thats what I would have thought... its a strange world mind you

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Non-machined sidewall rim brake rims are common, especially for lower pricepoints. The bike was speced with all black rims and the wear is normal.
    what do you mean by non machined sidewall rims? I will post a pic of the rim shortly

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well this is a bit silly, I need 10 post in order to be able to post a picture of the rim...

I am going to have to spam 3 posts sorry mods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    8th post

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    9th post

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    10th post...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Yep, that's normal for any anodized/painted rim with V-brakes. Every time the brakes are applied, a little aluminum is worn away, along with any coating. My Bad Boy looks like this too, although I have since upgraded to disc brakes. Personally, I don't think that it looks bad. But if it really bugs you, perhaps consider upgrading to disc brakes, and then painting your rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info TobyGadd, I just wanted to know if this has happened to any other badboy vbrake owners and you have just confirmed that.

Yes I was thinking of upgrading to discs but cant afford to at the moment. But I think you have to change the wheels too cause these rims dont take discs apparently

You shouldn't need to change your wheels to upgrade to disc brakes. All V-brake rims work fine with disc brakes, but the opposite isn't always true. Check your hubs--if they have bolt holes for discs, then all you need to do buy some disc brakes and put them on. That's what I did with my Bad Boy, and it's worked out great.

You could, of course, just stay with the V-brakes. The silver-sided rims are actually kind of cool, in my opinion. I only changed my brakes because I wanted my mountain-bike and commuter to have a more similar feel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cheers Toby, I will have a look to see if the hubs have bolt holes but I have to admit youve got me thinking maybe silver sided rims arent that bad after all!

Good luck, and have fun with the bike!

mtbr member
    Then instead of flaming/blaming a perfectly decent design (v-brakes) in your post title, you should have posted something more honest like "Help, i didnt research brakes prior to making my big bike purchase and now im upset with myself and i am not blaming v-brakes" its poorly thought-out posts like yours that give good decent tech a bad rep.

Then instead of flaming/blaming a perfectly good design in your post title, you should have posted something more honest like "Help, i didnt research brakes prior to making my big bike purchase and now im upset with myself instead of blaming V-Brakes"
    Sheesh, lighten up. He bought the bike partly because it was all black, and he was disappointed and confused that the rims were turning silver. Perhaps he isn't as savvy as you are about bikes, but he seems like a nice guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Then instead of flaming/blaming a perfectly decent design (v-brakes) in your post title, you should have posted something more honest like "Help, i didnt research brakes prior to making my big bike purchase and now im upset with myself and i am not blaming v-brakes" its poorly thought-out posts like yours that give good decent tech a bad rep.
    You've got some serious problems thats for sure,actually I am now wondering how old you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Good luck, and have fun with the bike!
    Cheers mate, yes Im having loads of fun with it already

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast